Handgun for fiancee

This is a discussion on Handgun for fiancee within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, in talking with my fiancee she has agreed to let me buy her a pistol for protection for when I am not around. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Handgun for fiancee

Handgun for fiancee

So, in talking with my fiancee she has agreed to let me buy her a pistol for protection for when I am not around. I feel she should carry whether I am there or not but she doesn't. I'll work on that later. However, she has said she'll let me buy her a handgun as well as to take some classes and possibly get her CCW. She is very recoil sensitive so something like a .40 S&W or .45ACP will most likely be out of the question. She has shot my M&P 40 and while she liked the feel/weight of the gun as well as a friends Ruger P90 (this was too heavy), she did not like the recoil at all. Additionally she is just getting back into shooting after not having shot for over 15 yrs so she would prefer something easy to shoot, at least initially. She has a .38 Special revolver that was inherited, however, she's said that she does not really want to carry a revolver if/when she does.

What I need help with is what to have her look at? It should be small enough to fit in her purse as I don't think that she'll carry on her person initially. She's small framed, though tall and skinny yet fairly large hands. I would prefer her to get a 9mm, however a .380 wouldn't be out of the question either. She has shot a Sig 226 and Beretta 92fs, both of which while recoil was fine she felt too heavy (both in 9mm).

Some of what i was thinking were:

M&P9c
    SR9c
    M&P Bodyguard 380
    Walther PPK
    Sig P238
    XD9c
    Sig P250 Compact

Opinions on these for a recoil sensitive shooter? Any other suggestions? Most of these I can rent from a LGS, so she will definitely be trying before buying. I'd like to keep it around $500 give or take but will end up buying what she wants no matter the cost...LOL Reliability is probably most important for me. Recoil and then comfort in hand most important for her.

2. Remove Ads

Besides the obvious "let her try the range rentals first", you should also consider how much time she would be willing to practice with it. If you don't think that she will realistically practice very often, avoid anything with a safety that must be disengaged before firing, and consider something thats double action only like the Bodyguard 380. Additionally, the laser on the BG may give her more confidence.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Do not under any circumstances purchase a firearm for someone else. Let them make their own purchase and then give them a cash gift later.

The SR9C is a pretty good choice. Also, have her take a look at the Walther PPQ and PPS.
    skysoldier29 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Purchasing a handgun for a lady is not a simple matter. Having done it, my recommendation is that she shoot it before you purchase it, or it will most likely be rejected.

I like the M&P 9c. The recoil is less than other 9mm guns I have fired, but is it a double stack, so is wider than the LC9 or Shield.

@Chesafreak: She has committed initially to going out with me at least once a month to practice. It's a start. The laser on the BG was one reason that it was included on the list above.

@1Moregoodguy: While I will be "buying" it..SHE will be choosing the gun that I will be paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Do not under any circumstances purchase a firearm for someone else.
    Yes and no. My wife knows more about Soviet politics than handguns, so I certainly couldn't just turn her loose in a gun store and say, "I'll meet you in the car." What I'm going to do is present her with several options, explaining differences (not my opinions) in them along the way and then let her make the final decision. .40 cal won't be among the options. When she shoots my G23 she practically throws it back over her head, but she's fine with our son's gun, a snub-nosed .38. She likes the S&W Bodyguard but I want her to consider semi-auto's before buying a 5-shot wheelgun. But I don't think she'll be able to stuff a mag with any round bigger than a .22.

The PPS and 250 are a few good ones. One thing I used to see waay back when I worked in a gun store and even at the range is picking a small .380 on the assumption it won't recoil. Well the exact opposite occurs due to the small size as they will slap anybody's hand pretty hard. Pick a smaller firearm with a larger grip, I used to recommend revolvers but have come to the realization that while foolproof in their operation, most women don't have the strength to reliably cycle them double action and do not get proficient enough to cock them much less uncock them.

In going thru this same scenario with a female a few years ago after letting her shoot many, many handguns, she settled on the Beretta 92F because she could cycle it and the perceived recoil was less due to the grip size. The same for the HK P30 which I also HIGHLY recommend- light weight and ease of use.

Give her the money to buy the gun for herself.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I am sorry for hijack. DOES SHE LOVE YOU? If yes and you are sure--- proceed. If not, forgettaboutit.

Let her see what fits her hands best. And don't go for a micro gun because even though something like an LCP only shoots 380ACP, they are a handful and are the best way to turn off a novice shooter.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

As others have said...let HER choose her new weapon. You are only there to point out some possibilities that fit HER requirements. Obviously, best case is that she has the opportunity to shoot the ones she likes...At a minimum, let her handle, fondle, and dry fire in the store. This gives her the opportunity to see how the weapon fits her hand, test the weight, check out the sights, and feel the trigger pull.

You want her to choose a weapon that she can train with AND carry. It will do her no good in the safe or the nightstand drawer.
    Here are a couple, in my opinion, she could look at.

The Shield (9mm)
    Sig P250 (9mm)
    Sig P238 (.380)
    Tarus PT709 Slim (9mm)

Have her read the "sticky" here on DC on "Choosing a Handgun"..

Have her go to Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat. and also, and read the section on "Choosing a Handgun", plus there's lots of other good information that is geared toward the female shooters...

Good luck!
    Fitch likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

GH
    If she likes your M&P 40 she'll love the M&P 9C. If that's a bit big for her then I'd consider the M&P Shield in 9MM. A Shield might have more perceived recoil than a 9C because I'm sure it's lighter. The Shield would be easier to conceal & carry. Another choice would be a Glock 19. Essentially a Glock 23 in 9MM.

Let her try a few at the range. That'll be a good start for getting her the gun that she likes best providing the guns in your price limitation. Don't give her a real big selection because it'll take forever to sort out the one she feels the most comfortable with. Almost any gun can be adaptable within reason when talking about the grip & weight but if recoil is the problem that's what she should concentrate on.

Regardless what she chooses let her get lots of range time with it.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

@Marc: That's the plan...i'm only paying for it and providing guidance. I'll have no say ultimately in HER decision and I've been told to keep my hands off it when she gets it...LOL

@Kel: yes she LOVES ME! LOL

@GH: That was my thought too. She has held an M&P9c in the store and liked that. But, I think that my .40 may have scared a bit with the recoil. She'll be going with me next week to shoot and trying a friends 9c out.

@First Sgt.: Thanks, I'll have her look at those pages definitely.

Thanks so far for all the replies

rent or try out friends guns to see what she likes. the problems with small autos 380/9mm) they can be a hand full when fired. take a look at the kel tec p32. easy to shoot and is the only gun from kel tec that works without any problems as long as you use fmj ammo. i got every kel tec pistol made (p40, pf9, p11 x 2, p3at x 2, and p32) so i know what works and don't when it come to them. i would also take a second look at a j-frame. the lady smith is one of the best.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by liquidfx View Post
    @Marc: That's the plan...i'm only paying for it and providing guidance. I'll have no say ultimately in HER decision and I've been told to keep my hands off it when she gets it...LOL
    Well done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links