How bad is it to shoot cross eyed?

This is a discussion on How bad is it to shoot cross eyed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see a lot of people that need to succumb to the darkside of being left-handed...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How bad is it to shoot cross eyed?

I see a lot of people that need to succumb to the darkside of being left-handed

2. Remove Ads

Wow, there are many people that are righty and left eye dominant. I thought that I was a rare case. Fortunately, I had a firearms instructor that made the whole class do the thumb test and the triangle test to see which eye was dominant. So right out of the gate I knew that I was left eye dominant.

I shoot with both eyes open with no problems whatsoever. When I shoot a rifle, I shoot right handed but closing my left eye allows me to focus. And most of the rifles that I shoot with have optics anyway.

Try both eyes open, and make sure that you bring the handgun up into your sight range instead of leaning your head over to the side.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Shooting Cross-eyed...

is not a problem...carry two guns...extra mags...and you can get 'em
    BOTH...

Actually, my wife has this problem...she seems to have adjusted to the problem.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm right handed and left eye dominant too.

I shoot handguns right handed, usually with a weaver stance and tilt the head a bit. Keep both eyes open, but go with the left to aim since it's more natural. Also practice one handed, left and right.

I shoot shotgun left handed. Go with what is natural. Don't wanna be confused during critical time. Handling the shotgun left handed feels fine.

Btw, there's a trick I do when shooting handguns two-handed. When I wrap my left hand around my right, I sorta line up the first joints of my left hand over the second joints of my right hand. (I don't overlap them as much as usual.) This helps to make the handgun line up with your left eye quicker when you raise it to eye level. You can experiment to see what grip works best for you. Note that your strong hand grip still grips the gun well. It's just an adjustment to the support hand.

Every time I see this thread title, I think of this guy...

[img]http://www.player4life.com/portal/photogallery/photo00018467/spaceballs_*******.gif[/img]

VIP Member
    A handgun, unlike the long gun, can be fired from either hand, from right and left two hand holds, and with either eye directing the sight picture. A left eye dominant shooter has an advantage shooting left handed around the left side of cover, and vice versa. Our more advanced students have found that eye dominance has no effect when both eyes are focused on the threat, and the forearm-locked wrist-single hand is used as the aiming device. It may be an advantage to keep your skill set small but well developed. You already have found techniques that work. If they are simple, natural, fast, and effective, life is good.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

You should never mix alcohol and guns.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    I see a lot of people that need to succumb to the darkside of being left-handed
    A lefty here, I'm artistic and in touch with my feelings, and I read Homer, Rand, Ayoob and Kleck in my spare time. That, my friend, is a dark side. :afro:
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links