How bad is it to shoot cross eyed?

This is a discussion on How bad is it to shoot cross eyed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Guys, I know of lot of guys on here have considerable experience either as shooting instructors or just as guys with lots of course ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How bad is it to shoot cross eyed?

How bad is it to shoot cross eyed?

Hi Guys,

I know of lot of guys on here have considerable experience either as shooting instructors or just as guys with lots of course work and RL experience behind them. So, here's my problem:

I'm left eye dominant, I see better out of that eye and when I do the "triangle" or any other test, it's clear the left eye is dominant. However, I shoot right handed - shooting lefty feels completely wrong for me.

Recently, I've found myself shooting right handed, but aiming with my left eye. What do you guys think, is this mistake, is it a bad habit that will have to be broken? Should I shoot with the less accurate(nondominat) eye, or look across with the left?

Thanks so much, I really appreciate any feedback, espically if someone has dealt with this before.

2. Remove Ads

Lots of folks shoot like you do, and many don't even know it! Do what you trust, and feel most comfortable with. Cross shooting isn't easy, but if it works for you, I would look across with the left.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

VIP Member
    I too am right handed and left eye dominant. I have been trying to develop the habit of firing with both eyes open. I changed my shooting stance to isosceles in order to get the gun more toward the middle of my body. I am still working on it. By habit I have always closed my left eye and when I do not concentrate that is what I still do. We'll see what happens.

My advice to you is remember the old saying about you can't argue with success. If using your left eye enables you to shoot more accurately - do it. If it works it's not wrong. Besides that who is to say that what works for you is wrong just because it doesn't work for them?
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I am also right handed/left eyed. Plus my left eye is stronger than my right eye. I used to always target shoot by closing my right eye and sighting with my left eye. I was able to place in several NRA indoor matches I participated in.

However when I started shooting in IDPA which involved a lot of movement of both me and the targets and also engaging multiple targets quickly, I knew I needed to have both eyes open.

I dry fired in my garage for about three weeks, 20 minutes a night four nights a week. I finally became comfortable that even though it looked "cockeyed" sometimes, my dominant left eye was doing the aiming and I was on target. Weekly range trips also confirmed everything was working fine. On long shots, I will still close my right eye and I have heard that some top ranked shooters will also do this on long shots.

Whatever you can make work for you will be good. Good Luck!

I am left handed and right eyed dominent.

It's not too bad with a pistol shooting left handed but when it comes to rifles I have to shoot right handed. But I have learned to adjust to it and I'm starting to get better with the rifles. I just have to close one eye. I've tried to keep both open but the sight keeps going in and out of focus like my eyes are fighting with each other.

Whatever gets lead on target the most reliably, without endangering anything but the target, is the best way to shoot.

I am right eye dominant, and left handed. I don't have a problem shooting a handgun like I do. I shoot all rifles as any right handed person does, naturally. I always grew up shooting a rifle like a right handed person, so it is my natural rifle shooting position.

Like anything in life, alot of practice will pay in the long run.
    Beretta 92FS

if it ain't broke if you can hit what you are after don't worry about, but never change what is working to something less just to be textbook.

not cross-eyed

I just hope nobody thinks I am Cross-eyed, then I wont get shot at.

Cross-Eye dominance

Quote Originally Posted by Mass-Diver View Post
    Hi Guys,

I know of lot of guys on here have considerable experience either as shooting instructors or just as guys with lots of course work and RL experience behind them. So, here's my problem:

I'm left eye dominant, I see better out of that eye and when I do the "triangle" or any other test, it's clear the left eye is dominant. However, I shoot right handed - shooting lefty feels completely wrong for me.

Recently, I've found myself shooting right handed, but aiming with my left eye. What do you guys think, is this mistake, is it a bad habit that will have to be broken? Should I shoot with the less accurate(nondominat) eye, or look across with the left?

Thanks so much, I really appreciate any feedback, espically if someone has dealt with this before.
    Hi There,

The situation you have described is actually more common than you realize.

I have been an instructor for over 20 years and the question you have presented is one I encounter frequently.

In much the same way as shooting with one eye open or two, in the end it all comes down to how the actual technique works for you! If you are more accurate and less resistant with this technique, then you should use it.

In my teachings, I constantly press the point that time is your enemy. What this means is that if you try to change your sighting constantly, you will be taking more time than you will likely have during a violent confrontation. If this is your natural response, stay with it and do not allow anyone to tell you that it is wrong.

The only problem I have observed over the years with this technique or style of shooting is that frequently the shooter is more prone to being hit with the brass from the ejection. However in training or recreational shooting, a hat will take care of this and in within a confrontation it will generally matter little.

Good luck and be safe.

Bryan S. Williams
    Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC
    www.wa-protective.com
    www.wttrw.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mass-Diver View Post
    I'm left eye dominant ... I shoot right handed ...
    I'm just the opposite: right-eye dominant, lefty shooter. I just practice with what feels right/good. It works just fine, assuming I don't have my head buried somewhere. Though, I do tend to tilt my head over to the left just a tad more, and to tilt the gun a smidgeon to the right of vertical. Otherwise, it works fairly well.

Generally speaking, is it a good/bad thing? Dunno. Ditto on the above sentiments: use what works well ... then practice, practice, practice.

Tony at the auto shop has a good saying: If it ain't broke ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    As CCW9MM said above......

I'm cross-eyed as well.

I use a modified weaver stance & also tip the gun slightly towards the strong eye & shoot with both eyes open.

By turning the gun toward your strong eye you help defeat the weaker eye by not giving it a sight plane down the barrel. Try it, once you have the weapon on target with strong eye, close it & without moving the gun you will see the weak may not even be able to see the front sight.

This will help you get a better sight picture with strong eye & make your weak eye less important to your brain while shooting (brain will ignore most of the image from that eye)..... & your muscle memory will adapt pretty quickly.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

It is not a problem at all. I am right handed and left eye dominant and have never had a problem hitting the bulls eye.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for all the responses.

Talking dominant

I'm a lefty but left eye dominant can't add anymore than what has been said but to do what works for you.How are you weak handed shooting?As for myself I'm more or less ambredex .now after breaking my left hand 3 times.I shoot just as well left or right except for rifles.I also golf right handed but what the heck
    US Paratroopers give the enemy maxnimum opportunity to give his life for his country

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links