bookmarks on smartphone

bookmarks on smartphone

This is a discussion on bookmarks on smartphone within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just had a thought. If involved in a shooting, what impact could having gun sites bookmarks on your smartphone have in your case? How many ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By suntzu
  • 1 Post By RoadRunner71
  • 1 Post By kapnketel

Thread: bookmarks on smartphone

bookmarks on smartphone

Just had a thought. If involved in a shooting, what impact could having gun sites bookmarks on your smartphone have in your case? How many do you have? 42 here between sale, defense, cc, & reloading.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    Just had a thought. If involved in a shooting, what impact could having gun sites bookmarks on your smartphone have in your case? How many do you have? 42 here between sale, defense, cc, & reloading.
    You got way too much time on your hands to be thinking of that LOL. A lawyer or prosecuter will use the fact you have a bible app on your phone if they think they can use it against you.
    lchamp, darbo, bigmacque and 2 others like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    No more so than having them on your home computer.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not ashamed of my interest in firearms and self defense. A prosecutor that wants to fry you over a shooting will find a way no matter how you hide your interests.

Also, the act of hiding those interests may appear to be a guilty conscience to that prosecutor.

We still have certain freedoms in this country. Don't limit your focus to just RKBA. Enjoy your Freedom of Speech as well.
    Drgnfly likes this.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Suntzu,
    I do have a bible app too. :)

I started this thread because of several " what if " threads that made me look at situations from a different perspective.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

My phone isn't smart lol. All it can do is make a phone call. Hmmm, I paid 20 bucks for it. I must be smart lol. I would think a lawyer would use anything against you they can. A lot of gun sites on your phone could show you look for trouble?
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    No more so than having them on your home computer.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not ashamed of my interest in firearms and self defense. A prosecutor that wants to fry you over a shooting will find a way no matter how you hide your interests.

Also, the act of hiding those interests may appear to be a guilty conscience to that prosecutor.

We still have certain freedoms in this country. Don't limit your focus to just RKBA. Enjoy your Freedom of Speech as well.
    Interesting thought there RoadRunner... I could imagine a line of questioning going something like this...

Prosecutor(P) - Sir, we couldn't help but notice that when the FBI, CIA, local Sheriff and SWAT teams searched your home and computer that you seem to be a gun enthusiast, yet out of the hundreds of saved bookmarks on your computer, not a single one was gun relatled. Why is that?

Defendent(D) - Well, not that it's any of your business but I don't keep bookmarks for this very reason, so that they couldn't be brought up and used against me.

P - I see, so what you're saying is that you're worried about how it may be viewed or construed that you're a gun fanatic and you shot someone.

D - No, no, not at all, just that I knew it would be twisted.

P - So you're saying you're ashamed or worried about your "hobby" and "interest" in that most of your peers would find it disturbing or troublesome?

.... You can imagine how this could continue to snowball and go downhill rapidly...

Just a random Iggy thought... and reinforcing what RR said that no matter what, the opposing side of any dispute will find a way to spin something.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Never ever shoot someone with your Smartphone.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

It should be obvious that a prosecutor would use anything he/she could. For the type of evidence you're talking about it would only be used as character reference. But in a self defense case I don't think you would have too much to be concerned about.

If you pull your gun and go running into a situation I would imagine they could use such evidence to prove you were looking for a chance to use your gun. But since we permit holders just use our gun for self defense I wouldn't get too concerned over your bookmarks.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Quote Originally Posted by Glhadiator View Post
    It should be obvious that a prosecutor would use anything he/she could. For the type of evidence you're talking about it would only be used as character reference. But in a self defense case I don't think you would have too much to be concerned about.

If you pull your gun and go running into a situation I would imagine they could use such evidence to prove you were looking for a chance to use your gun. But since we permit holders just use our gun for self defense I wouldn't get too concerned over your bookmarks.
    Actually according to many here they will go to the defense of someone else even if they are not in imminent danger and have and avenue of retreat....In fact, folks have said in active shooter situations like Aurora they would go stalking the BG.

(Disclaimer-not saying the above actions are right or wrong, just poiinting out many will use their weapons in the defense of others
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I put the important parts in bold. The impact on your case is going to be insignificant compared to the impact of your actions. The DA is going to try and use anything that they possibly can to convict you, its the way our BS criminal justice system works.

The way you help yourself is by having a lawyer who you gives you sound legal advice before you have a shooting incident, and how well you follow that advice when the incident happens will have the greatest impact on the outcome of your legal battle.
    Last edited by steffen; November 13th, 2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: added "will have the greatest impact on the outcome of your legal battle"

Seems to me that a few things are unavoidably true.

1. They'll help lead the prosecution to the web sites you frequent, and your posting history. IF those posts are indicative of a pattern of thought that supports the prosecution's theories on your culpability or "tendencies," be assured those posts will be used as circumstantial/supporting indicators to "prove" what's being claimed.

2. If you've just done something heinous and are later picked up and charged for it, you're in deep kimchee if you've posted your basic plans and thoughts online somewhere that lays out what you were going to do (did) in great detail. Duh.

3. But, the mere fact you go to this or that website for info/discussion? Hardly indicative of anything, on its own. But then, prosecutions sometimes succeed with a pile of circumstances that make it appear highly likely you did it, even if there's no smoking gun. So, how far could it go? So long as your posts/visits are completely above-board in nature and not ultra right-wing incitement come to life, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I think the fact that you had a gun and shot somebody would probably peg you as a "gun guy" without having to look at your phone.
    suntzu likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Personally I'm not going to worry about having sites like this one or manufacturer sites, etc that show I have an interest in guns bookmarked on my phone or computer. LOL Actually if you go to my photo album you'll find a BUNCH of saved "pretty" pink duracoated guns where every time I see one I like I download it in case I ever decide to paint mine. If asked I'll freely admit that guns are an interest of mine, there's no shame in that IMO.

The sites that are more of a concern IMO would be radical, planning some kind of bad event, hate group kind of sites. Never been to any of those so I'm not worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    Personally I'm not going to worry about having sites like this one or manufacturer sites, etc that show I have an interest in guns bookmarked on my phone or computer. LOL Actually if you go to my photo album you'll find a BUNCH of saved "pretty" pink duracoated guns where every time I see one I like I download it in case I ever decide to paint mine. If asked I'll freely admit that guns are an interest of mine, there's no shame in that IMO.

The sites that are more of a concern IMO would be radical, planning some kind of bad event, hate group kind of sites. Never been to any of those so I'm not worrying.
    +1. I have been involved in the shooting sports in one form or another since I was a teenager. I have taken an interest in the defensive application of firearms for about fifteen years. I do not have, nor have I ever had, any inclination to just go out and shoot somebody, nor do I have any plans to join any groups that have as their focus the overthrow of our government. Therefore I am not worried about what investigators may find if they were to search my home or my computer (or my cell phone).

In the event that I ever have to use a firearm to defend myself or my family, I will focus on the aftermath of that event, knowing that I have nothing to hide. If the prosecution tries to make my longtime interest in firearms an issue, my attorney will be able to deal with it. After all, isn't that why we pay attorneys?

Sponsored Links