(MSNBC) Should Teachers carry guns - Page 2

(MSNBC) Should Teachers carry guns

This is a discussion on (MSNBC) Should Teachers carry guns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I voted "YES". Maybe placing a handgun into the competent, well-trained hands of a principal / teacher would deter the wolves from preying on our ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: (MSNBC) Should Teachers carry guns

I voted "YES".

Maybe placing a handgun into the competent, well-trained hands of a principal / teacher would deter the wolves from preying on our children!!!!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

I voted YES! Here's another poll that we need to participate in:

http://www.local6.com/education/10007586/detail.html

With the propper training and passes the requirements, and wants to carry I have no problem with it.
    Keep your powder dry

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    My plug nickle is if they can't legally carry in the first place, they shouldn't be teaching period. We know they would at a minimum be held at the same standard we are.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Great

I think with all that has been going on this past year I think it would be a great idea. In fact my wife told me about this and she said she would gladly carry to protect her students in class. (I am still tryin to get her to get her CCW. . . go figure!)
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

I just voted. They should have also added a category for Stun Guns. I imagine that would have gotten a more positive response.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

I wouldn't mind it if someone with some knowledge on the subject ran the program. Trouble is (with me) I don't have that much faith in it being set up that way. It will most likely be set up by someone more worried about offending someones feelings, causing untold "trauma" to some kid thats been force fed being PC, or a government program that will micro manage it into uselessness.. The schools would fight it due to "legal liability" if a "poor inocent student" were to be injured, AT ALL. I believe the only way is to have paid, job specific, armed,security personel involved. YES it will be costly. But thats the world we live in. I also believe that many/most of the teachers wouldn't do it.. Just my opinions, to be taken or left lying on the floor! For the record YES something has to be done, but I don't think this is it.

Be safe.

The schools around here have police officers in them for security. I assumed this was typical of schools everywhere these days.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigJS View Post
    I wouldn't mind it if someone with some knowledge on the subject ran the program. Trouble is (with me) I don't have that much faith in it being set up that way. It will most likely be set up by someone more worried about offending someones feelings, causing untold "trauma" to some kid thats been force fed being PC, or a government program that will micro manage it into uselessness.. The schools would fight it due to "legal liability" if a "poor inocent student" were to be injured, AT ALL. I believe the only way is to have paid, job specific, armed,security personel involved. YES it will be costly. But thats the world we live in. I also believe that many/most of the teachers wouldn't do it.. Just my opinions, to be taken or left lying on the floor! For the record YES something has to be done, but I don't think this is it.

Be safe.
    Why should there be a "program" just for schools? There already is a program in 48 states. It's called CCL (or any number of other things in various states). Just remove the restriction naming schools as off-limits, and the system already in place will cover them.

I agree that having a new school-specific program to arm only teachers in schools will have undesireable consequences. Unfortunately, that's probably how it will be pushed by some politicians (provided they lick their fingers and see the wind blowing in the right direction).

Hopefully, someone will stand up and say the obvious... that we need to simply expand the existing CCL program to cover schools as well.

I agree Bob. Many of the packers on the shooting web sites are teachers or work at schools. They already have their guns and methods of carry. They have already had training and back ground checks. If more training was wanted it might be that advanced training could be given by local, as in close by, law enforcement, possibly on a donated time basis. I think most carriers would jump at that. This would keep costs down and it would have people in the schools that have already made a commitment to self defense. Would it be perfect?No, but it would be a big step in the right direction.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnBald View Post
    I agree Bob. Many of the packers on the shooting web sites are teachers or work at schools. They already have their guns and methods of carry. They have already had training and back ground checks. If more training was wanted it might be that advanced training could be given by local, as in close by, law enforcement, possibly on a donated time basis. I think most carriers would jump at that. This would keep costs down and it would have people in the schools that have already made a commitment to self defense. Would it be perfect?No, but it would be a big step in the right direction.
    Exactly. I, for one, would be first in line for a LEO-taught advanced handgun combat class for civilians, free or not. I think it would be a excellant idea, to emphasize the danger of a firefight to non-combatants and teach interior combat tactics involving hostages/large numbers of NC's. Stuff that school personnel would have to consider if they were attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by HoggLegg View Post
    The schools around here have police officers in them for security. I assumed this was typical of schools everywhere these days.
    When we lived in California there wasn't, but in Idaho there is. Go figure
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

i'd sure like to see college students able to carry ... elementary schools are relatively crime free. .. many public universities like the one i go to have crime rates higher than most urban areas.... and we're all gleefully unarmed.

Lead Moderator
    Bob said it just right. Seems like the politician is just grand standing on a hot button issue , rather than caring if it will make a difference or not.
    Opening CCW in WI would be a good first step to making the state safer. You can bet , if someone was shooting in a school one of our kids were in , any of us CCW'ers would engage the threat to protect our kids.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Poll question is biased

The problem I have with this poll is the way the question is formulated:

"Should teachers be provided with weapons?"

The question makes it sound as if every teacher will be handed a Glock at the beginning of the school year along with their number 2 pencils and other class supplies. CCW by teachers should be allowed for those who want it, and who must pass qualifications to earn it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links