First experience with officer after CCL

This is a discussion on First experience with officer after CCL within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I met with an accident today. There were two turning lanes at the intersection. Left was must turn. I was in the right lane and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: First experience with officer after CCL

I met with an accident today. There were two turning lanes at the intersection. Left was must turn. I was in the right lane and was turning left.
    The guy in left turning lane did not turn and came straight. Damage happened to my driver side.
    Cops were called and one officer showed up. I gave my CCL as soon as he approached and he said "Thanks for showing that to me" and that is it.
    Weird thing is that he did not run our drivers license or give ticket to the other guy for negligence.
    When I asked if he is going to write the report he said no body is hurt just exchange your information.
    I took some pics of the accident and we were on the way.

Glad you're okay. Cars are MUCH easier/cheaper to repair than are you. As for your CCL, I take more of a "quiet until asked" tact. If it matters, the LEO will ask me. If not, he won't. Don't know the regulation in Texas, but here the Bluegrass I have no legal mandate to volunteer CCL information. In legal matters, the less I say, the less I can later...regret saying.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Yep - in PA if both cars and driveable and no injuries then it's a non-reportable accident as far as the police are concerned. At that point it's between your 2 insurers and whether or not the other guy reports his side of the accident story truthfully. Good luck and I hope things play out in your favor as they should.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No ticket for the other guy? Man!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    In Texas, we have to provide our CHL when asked for identification and if we're carrying.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No ticket for the other guy? Man!
    I can think of at least three things he should be ticketed for.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    In Texas, we have to provide our CHL when asked for identification and if we're carrying.
    Then, by all means, inform quickly. Here we just have to confess if there's moonshine in the trunk.
    darbo likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Glad you are ok.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Glad nobody was hurt. Sounds like the encounter went as smoothly as it could.

In Texas any official interaction with LEO requires that you inform,and they don't have to ask,thats why I carry my CHL behind my DL,they both get presented at the same time
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    ... Here we just have to confess if there's moonshine in the trunk.
    And whether or not it is any good!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Glad you weren't hurt. Interaction with LEO was as it should be.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Glad your ok
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    I can think of at least three things he should be ticketed for.
    I got a ticket one time for "failure to control speed to avoid collision." I was in the far right lane of a 6 lane(3 lanes each way) main road going 30 in a 45, about to turn at a green light when a minivan pulled out in front of me, causing me to rear-end it at about 15 MPH. The other driver got a ticket for something like an unsafe lane change. I was pretty pissed about the ticket that I received since it was the equivalent of going between 10-19 MPH over the limit and cost me about $130, but fortunately her insurance ended up covering the damage to my car.

There are so many people with CCW's these days, that the cops could really care less. They just figure that you are most likely a good guy and probably not a threat unless your demeanor proves otherwise.

As far as that accident goes, many agencies are overworked as it is and go call to call. They really don't have enough time to work minor non injury crashes. The take it up with your insurance and exchange information is a pretty normal response today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links