CC in vehicle and leather seats?

This is a discussion on CC in vehicle and leather seats? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering what others do when driving. I cc my Shield in an N82 holster at about 4:30ish. Currently I don't unholster while driving since ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC in vehicle and leather seats?

Just wondering what others do when driving. I cc my Shield in an N82 holster at about 4:30ish. Currently I don't unholster while driving since the gun is so thin and my holster is so comfortable but I'm sort of worried about damaging my leather seats in my 2011 F150 - mainly with the belt clip.

Has anyone had an issue with the metal clip end cutting or scratching your leather or the gun's grip permanently deforming your leather? My rear sight tends to dig into the right bolster side of my seat near my center console.

So far I haven't noticed any damage but wonder what may happen over time. Thanks.

Bill

I have a 2004 with leather and 153,000 and no problems yet. I wear OWB at 3:30-4:00.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    I drive a Tundra with leather interior. I haven't noticed any adverse effects. I carry a little further forward, around the 3:30-4:00 position.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    No problem in my car. Same carry position. I'm not too worried about it.

I have a 2011 F-150 as well with leather, when driving for extended periods of time (40+ minutes), I unholster and lift up the 'lid' on the arm rest and my G31/G32 fits perfectly in that little cubby hole. I haven't noticed any damage but I just find it to be more accessible when it's sitting in there and more comfortable for longer travels.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    Carried for years with CBST, in both vehicles. Car and F-250 both had leather seats, and no problems. Your cover garments usually give you plenty of padding.

I don't have leather seats, but when I'm in my car, my shirt covers the clips on my CBST. I have gotten a few chips in the paint on the front edge of the back door from climbing in though. The clip also wore a hole in most of my jeans too.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Sponsor
    I think leather belt loops are going to be your best option. For traditional hybrid holsters, including the SHTF Gear ACE-1 you can use our Tuckable Leather Belt Loops. I'm not sure if they would work for your holster or not.

leather loop-edit.jpg

Thanks,
    Clay

Quote Originally Posted by BillK01 View Post
    Just wondering what others do when driving. I cc my Shield in an N82 holster at about 4:30ish. Currently I don't unholster while driving since the gun is so thin and my holster is so comfortable but I'm sort of worried about damaging my leather seats in my 2011 F150 - mainly with the belt clip.

Has anyone had an issue with the metal clip end cutting or scratching your leather or the gun's grip permanently deforming your leather? My rear sight tends to dig into the right bolster side of my seat near my center console.

So far I haven't noticed any damage but wonder what may happen over time. Thanks.

Bill
    I have the same concern. We have one vehicle (Suv with leather bucket seats) and I worry the my G 19 carried OWB will, over time, wear or tear the leather.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I have a dodge avenger with leather bucket seats and I carry either IWB or OWB at 3 oclock and after 89950 miles on it there is no signs of wear. I do have a shirt covering the gun when I carry, so that could be a saving grace for me.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My 1911 has scratched the leather in my SRX. I have switched to using a car holster for both comfort and to eliminate this issue.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    DeSantis Kingston vehicle holster.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Try getting your small pistol to the front half of your body then access is simple and set damage is not possible. We have 3 people now cc'n in the family and its taken a little work to get them to understand a better holster designs allow adjust verticaly and adding some cant can make all the difference. I am a heavier guy with plenty of spare tire and cc a kahr cm9 iwb, same size as your sheild at a 2:15 to 2:30 postion with a comp-tac minotaur netraul. Son-in law cc's a KT-p11 in a low cost desantis sof-tuk in the same possition and he is 5-9 145lb with a 26" waist. 2 girls of main carry on the front side also , a 38 UL and bersa tunder. One in a alessi apx and the other in a desantis pock-tuk but IWB . All are tuckable Try a different holster design and you will never look back. .

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    DeSantis Kingston vehicle holster.

I like this! Is it a one size fits all holster?

I carry at 8:30 in my car. My seats have bolsters on the sides... they don't interfere with my CCW too much. My pistol and holster have not damaged the leather because I'm careful when entering and exiting. My cell phone holster has scratched the leather on my driver's seat. :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links