Defensive Carry banner

Good Outcome Despite Wretched Tactics

6K views 66 replies 43 participants last post by  KoriBustard 
#1 ·
Woman pulls gun on man who exposed himself at lake

"I put the magazine in my gun. I cocked it,” the woman said in an interview Thursday night. “I said, ‘You need to leave or Ill shoot you. I’m going to blow your brains out.’ ”The woman, whose name is being withheld by the paper because she is the victim of a sex crime, said she has never before brought her gun, a Ruger .380, with her to the lake, but she grabbed it on her way out the door Wednesday because it was foggy and dark."

Very dramatic of her to make her pistol ready in front of the creepo but not the most expeditious way to go about armed with an LCP.

#7 ·
Ok, I realize that most states SD laws allow lethal force to prevent sexual assault. While admittedly offensive, I am not so sure I consider simple exposing to be grounds lethal force. There is no indication that the guy hit the lady with anything or otherwise acted in a manner that could transmit a deadly disease, which I would consider as justification. Unless there is more to this story than the article let on, I think this one falls into the category of inappropriate weapon use, which this forum usually denigrates.

#11 ·
I could get shot for doing that???????????????????

#15 ·
Interesting.

On the one hand, I can see how a lady walking with her child who is approached "aggressively" by a young man who then proceeds to expose his genitals and begin masturbating would be fearful for her safety, and the safety of her child.

Then again, I'm not really sure if a random perv fapping in public necessarily warrants the deployment of a firearm.

Regardless, was she in an area that necessitates the seperate carry of firearm and magazine? I seem to remember reading a while ago that such areas exist in some parts of the country. If not, that's certainly not the most effective way to carry, but at least she was concerned enough with protecting herself, her family and her rights to carry a firearm and the situation was resolved without her or her child coming to any physical harm.

Hopefully she will now invest in training.

#18 ·
We'll probably never know what the outcome would have been if she wasn't armed but whatever she did certainly worked. I don't doubt that she'll begin carrying more often now.

#21 ·
If it takes the presense of a firearm to force a pervert to beat feet, I'm all for it.

Reactions: MrsHB
#24 ·
Was there and immediate threat of grave bodily harm or death? Would the woman be justified if she had actually used deadly force? If the answer was "no" for either one of those questions, than she was not justified in using the threat of deadly force.

#31 ·
I did this column on the incident.

Frankly, a lot of bad could have come from this. I see there is a spirited discussion, and this is good. Do I think any charges will come from this? I'm not a fan of the Clark County prosecutor's office, but it probably isn't going to go after a mom who was protecting herself and her child.

The guy in this caper is pretty lucky. Say she had plugged him. Guy on the ground plugged, pants down, cops show up.... Who do you think the police are going to believe, eh?

What does a woman do when a man exposes himself?

You’re a mom on an evening walk with your 6-year-old son and you are suddenly approached “aggressively” by a man who exposes himself and then suggests that you stand there and watch what’s next, so what do you do?

What should a woman do when a man exposes himself? - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

#32 ·
"The woman who encountered the man at Lake Sacajawea said she saw the man fumbling with his belt as he approached her and her son at Martin Dock"
If someone is fumbling with their belt, opening their pants as they are approaching me - you bet -I'm drawing. Like MrsHB said, having the child in tow significantly limits your ability to flee. I'd still try and move away, keeping my child behind me and the perve in front of me if I could but I'm not going to stop and ask him his full intentions or plans, I'm not going to turn my back and run and he's sure as heck not coming any closer. *It's a completely different senario than if he was just making leering or rude comments. I personally don't think she was wrong in pulling the weapon, I think she was wrong not having it ready if she needed it before she walked out her front door.*

It's a split second decision regarding immediate threat. Hesitate too long and it could be too late. I'm not going to assume he's harmless. I'm not going to run from somewhere I have every right to be with my child in tow who's going to slow us down and distract me from being in a good defensive position. I'm not going to risk having someone grab ahold of either one of us - I learned a long time ago that a man about the same size as me tends to have better upper body strength than I do. That you can end up flat on your back begging and crying a lot faster than you'd think. *Hesitate too long (to draw or flee) and it's too late. She wasn't in his head and didn't know how it was going to end. The article did leave out how close he was and some of the other details. It's easy to second guess something from the comfort of our own homes. If she hadn't drawn and been physically assaulted people would be saying she should have drawn sooner. As it worked out she's being criticized for overreacting. *

I agree, young women, maybe most women need some instruction in dealing with such situations, but I disagree there's anything to laugh about - I'd be teaching different tactics than that.

#35 ·
Lish;2454614 I agree said:
I didnt say I would teach that particularly...it's just worked well for me. Actually, the effective part was to just keep moving and leave. The laughing part and the look on their faces was just a bonus.

#39 ·
In my state forcible felony is justification for deadly force. Again, I'm not saying I would have shot THIS guy, but in my particular state it doesn't have to be a lethal situation. I WILL shoot before being raped whether I'm likely to otherwise survive the encounter or not. I'll take my chances on that one with a jury. And if he gets hands on her, she's not likely getting away - we have to take an assault and can't use lethal force?! Personally I'm not letting someone "aggressively approaching" get in touching distance! Was THIS guy going to try and rape her? Maybe, maybe not, but who knows for sure - she scared him off. How close does a woman, or anyone for that matter, need to let a guy "acting aggressively" get?! Depending on the situation and disparity of force you do not need a bio projectile.

#42 ·
I am pretty sure that if she had shot him in my county no charges would of been pressed against her

#43 ·
Ok...I've sat here and read ALL the comments so far. I'm especially disturbed by those that have said there is a question as to whether the presentation of her weapon was really necessary.

The first thought that comes to my mind is "disparity of force"...That in itself, along with the presence of her child, and the actions being performed by the perv, were more than suffiecient to present her weapon.

For those that automatically "pooh pooh" her choice to present, then look in the mirror and ask yourself "What if it were my wife, my daughter, my child, my grandchild...what if it were just a young girl walking in the park...would I want them to prepare to defend themselves, more importantly, present their weapon?" If you can still say, nahhhhh, it wasn't necessary, then I personally feel for you as a professed "man".

Someone mentioned, was the perv inside 22 feet. I could care less if it was 30 feet, 21 feet, or five feet. My feelings are she had every right to prepare to defend herself and her child. PERIOD

Should she have better training with her weapon..YUP...Should she carry loaded and ready to rock n roll...YUP...Did she and her child walk away unharmed..YUP So good job gal!!!!

Could she have presented her weapon, perhaps instead of saying "I'm gonna blow your brains out", a better choice would have been "Hold what ya got there buddy while I call 911" as she backs away with her child from his presentation...

Bottom line is, in my eyes, he's a threat to the lady...he's a threat to the child...As others have said on here, and this is an example, you don't always have to shoot when you present your weapon, but you better darn sure be prepared to if it's necessary.

This whole thread really irks me...JMO

#61 ·
^^Nail on the Head^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Could not have said it better.

#44 ·
She effectively utilized Condition 3 carry and was justified in drawing her weapon on the scumbag....well done.

Edit: Doh, looks like the mag was separate in her purse...guess she demonstrated even C4 can be more than sufficient, not that I'd ever recommend it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.