Got My CCW Today!

This is a discussion on Got My CCW Today! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in my mid 40's and ex-military. It had been about 20 years since I dealt w/ firearms on a regular basis other than the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Got My CCW Today!

Got My CCW Today!

I'm in my mid 40's and ex-military. It had been about 20 years since I dealt w/ firearms on a regular basis other than the infrequent shooting of friends firearms here & there. My wife & 2 year old son live in the city, nice area but being in an urban setting we have seen crime around & in our neighborhood rise over the last few years. Our house was broken into, a few house breakins, cars & property stolen and assaults & this year a couple of armed robberies & one shotting (non-fatal) within a 2 mile radius of our house so we've been a lot more concerned about safety & crime. Especially when I am out & about w/ my son walking, biking, etc.. throughout the area. My wife had expressed an big interest & openes to firearms as a "hobby" and for home/personal protection so it re-sparked my interest in firearms from my old military days & I've been doing a lot of reading about the subject & CCW. I took 2 CCW classes (first one was extremely lame & since I wanted to LEARN about actual WI laws I took a second one that was given by an active-duty police officer who brought a great perspective on the subject). I went to a LGS w/ a range to test out a few guns & settled on a new Sig P238 w/ a CT laser that I really enjoy & so does my wife. Now that I'm back in the game I'm afraid I'm already eyeing a few others that would be a nice addition to a collection.

So anyways about a week & a half ago I submitted my ccw application for the state of WI & my card came in the mail today so thought I'd take a pic of it & my ccw setup...
    Attached Images
    MASSIVE, Erick46590 and GH like this.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the new permit and the new gun. Now train, train, train! Best of luck and stay safe.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Congrats ... EDC takes a bit of getting use to, stay cool and get familiar with the gun as well as packing it around
    My EDC G27 gen. 4
    Favorite range gun G23 gen. 3

NRA Life Member

Congrats! And like the other guys advised, train and practice! CC is a big responsibility!
    It's great that you took the extra class on WI laws and studied CC. The practical aspects of carrying while biking or during other activities are important to learn.

Welcome to DC and to the CC world. The others above have already given you the good advice, nothing I can add.

You might do us a favor and add your permit's number range to the thread here: Wisconsin CCW Permit Time...Keep us posted! to help keep everyone aware of what a great thing has been happening in WI.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Nice. That was fast. I applied for mine on October 4th here in Oregon, still waiting. They like to take the full 45 days to issue.

Congrats and greetings from IL (where I have a UT permit that allows me to carry in WI but not in my own state).

I really need to move one of these days. The sooner, the better.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

Welcome to DC and congratulations on getting your permit. As others have said, this is just the beginning of your journey. Keep up with training, and get comfortable with carrying. Oh, and don't even try to resist the urge to obtain more firearms. Resistance is futile! Your P238 will end up having some brothers to keep it company.

Thanks everyone. I really don't take lightly the idea of owning & carrying a firearm & when I do something I'm the type of person who seeks to learn & train a lot about it so yes I agree and have been seeking for GOOD training options on the use of firearms for personal defense here in the area but so far have come up short. I've found a couple of really interesting training programs but they are out of state. I'm sure we have similar options here in WI but I'm just not finding them. If anyone knows of some please let me know. So far I've been practicing in the range & w/ an empty gun to get used to the mechanics of unholstering, hitting the safety & getting in a ready position...

sdprof - I'll add my number to that thread you posted. thanks.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Congrats and welcome to the team! Yeah, train and plan.

Got My CCW Today!

Congrats!!!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

So how was your first day? Did you get out and about?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Congrats!.. good to have you in the cc community. Always nice to know there are a few more people out there who could protect themselves...and all others in the area who can't do it for themselves.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Congrats and welcome to the clan! Represent us well.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Congrats. Now continue training, practice etc and live by CANT. Carry Always Never Tell
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links