Tuckable is a Good Option - Even with drawbacks.

This is a discussion on Tuckable is a Good Option - Even with drawbacks. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A recent post on another forum had me take another look at the reasons for and against tuckable IWB's. Here's my take on it. http://www.tuckergunleatherblog.com/...one-every-day/ ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuckable is a Good Option - Even with drawbacks.

Sponsor

Tuckable is a Good Option - Even with drawbacks.

A recent post on another forum had me take another look at the reasons for and against tuckable IWB's.
    Here's my take on it. http://www.tuckergunleatherblog.com/...one-every-day/

What do you think?

2. Remove Ads

Making tuckable work

I think the tuckable concept would work best with a really slim gun (like the 1911, a Kahr, a PPK, etc.) because that would help minimize the "bump" that might be noticeable.

I also think that of the 3 tuckable holsters shown on your blog, that the two with the offset belt loops (the Answer and the Texas Heritage) would work better than the third holster (the Coverup) with the belt loop right on top of the gun. The belt loop on top of the gun would add thickness at the thickest point and increase the "bump" under your clothing.

The concept makes a lot of sense, especially in a hot climate, as it utilizes your shirt as a cover garment and you can have a neat appearance with the shirt tail tucked in.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I think the tuckable concept would work best with a really slim gun (like the 1911, a Kahr, a PPK, etc.) because that would help minimize the "bump" that might be noticeable.

I also think that of the 3 tuckable holsters shown on your blog, that the two with the offset belt loops (the Answer and the Texas Heritage) would work better than the third holster (the Coverup) with the belt loop right on top of the gun. The belt loop on top of the gun would add thickness at the thickest point and increase the "bump" under your clothing.

The concept makes a lot of sense, especially in a hot climate, as it utilizes your shirt as a cover garment and you can have a neat appearance with the shirt tail tucked in.
    Your analysis is a good one. No argument with any of it.
    Rob

cj
    I like the concept for yet another reason as well. I'm 6'3", and with that much height, when I stretch a bit, most shirts I wear can pull up pretty far. A simple absent-minded yawn with my arms stretched above my head can get a good 8" lift from my shirt. Stretching my arms straight up is even greater. That's plenty to expose most methods of carrying. However tucked in, I can definitely feel the shirt riding up before it slides too far.

I suppose I could learn not to stretch, but it just feels so darn good!

cj

I use a Blade-Tech UCH tuckable with a M43 Firestar and love it. Tucked or not it works great for me.

You want to leave your shirt slightly bloused around the waist and it will hide any bulge.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    I use a Blade-Tech UCH tuckable with a M43 Firestar and love it. Tucked or not it works great for me.

You want to leave your shirt slightly bloused around the waist and it will hide any bulge.
    Blousing is a good thing. Buy your shirts with a little room in them.
    (Your knew that already, right?)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    not to offend anyone but i do not own nor will ever own again a tuckable iwb ... well let me re phrase that .. i will never wear a handgun tucked again . I would personaly prefer to style my wardrobe around other carry methods . If the " tuckers " meet your needs then great .. but to me they are the banana peel on the path to loosing an armed disagreement . there are simply too many downsides to the method to outweigh the advantages , honestly i will ankle carry before i resort to anything tucked . and i know the formfactor sacrafice to make that statement .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Well I am currently looking for one holster for my para, and sometimes my choice will be to leave the weapon at home if i can't tuck it away. So I have been looking at that 'texas' holster fairly seriously. Rob, you even answered an email to me responding to my question about iwb holsters at your website. (quick response time too I might add). I do wonder about the clips though, seems that they could attract unwanted attention.
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

talon tho i wont carry this way i am honest , assuming the clips are even close to your belt color ... well no one will notice .. and if they do you can allways do the old that is the cellphone / pda / crackberry / opticalrectal medical pump hanger ect ... you get the idea .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I like IWB holsters for several reasons. Number one being concealability.
    and number 2 being comfort...all the others follow along behind those.

I have to admit, it may not be the fastest option, nor is it the easiest to use well; but they do hide my gun well on my body type.

As far as tuckables go, I guess I will find out as soon as my answer arrives in the next week or so to decide on how those work out, but hopefully they will allow me to dress how I always do (knit shirt and jeans) and conceal well. I will certainly post a review indicating either way.
    Last edited by hsuCowboy98; October 6th, 2006 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    Fear No Evil.

Good luck hsu tuckable did not work out for me when tucked .. but the good side is if you buy one and dont like it tucked ... chances are you still have a fine iwb for normal wear LOL

By the way Redneck I like your signature line....
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    not to offend anyone but i do not own nor will ever own again a tuckable iwb ... well let me re phrase that .. i will never wear a handgun tucked again . I would personaly prefer to style my wardrobe around other carry methods . If the " tuckers " meet your needs then great .. but to me they are the banana peel on the path to loosing an armed disagreement . there are simply too many downsides to the method to outweigh the advantages , honestly i will ankle carry before i resort to anything tucked . and i know the formfactor sacrafice to make that statement .
    You'll never own a tuckable IWB? OK, but could you own a tuckable IWB and never use that feature? That's the point. The feature is there when needed at no extra cost. I don't push the "tuckable" method of carry. I'm not pushing it now. I got it that it's not for you and I respect that you have good reasons for your decition.

P.S. RR, I like your signature, too.

well let me re phrase that .. i will never wear a handgun tucked again
    see i corrected myself in the original post lol , and i also respect your choice that tucking fits your needs . there is really no downside to buying a quality tuckable holster since even if you decide it dont work tucked it virtualy will allways still work as a quality iwb .. its the method that i find issues with , for myself , not the gunhanger lol .

Tuckable IWB holsters work well for me. I regularly need to conveniently change from concealed-carry to open-carry when I enter an alcohol-serving restaraunt, since it is against Virginia law to carry concealed in such a place, but there is no law against open-carry. With a tuckable, it only takes about 10-15 seconds, while I'm walking from the car, to untuck the shirt from in front of the gun and retuck it behind the gun. Converting back to concealed carry is more difficult because I just about have to undue my trousers to get the shirt retucked in an orderly manner.

I'm not willing to always have my shirttails hanging out and a separate cover garment is not always in order. In those cases where I do go untucked, I still wear my tuckable holster with the benefit that gaining access to the gun will be faster than untucking a shirt first. With a non-IWB holster covered by an untucked shirt, one can still tuck a handful of shirttail behind the gun to convert to open-carry, but that's a little sloppy. Another option is to remove the cover garment and dine bare chested; not too appetizing for the other patrons!

I have always preferred pocket carry, but the conversion to open-carry is very difficult. I approached a local holstermaker about making up a custom pocket holster with a belt clip so I could draw the gun/holster out of the pocket and clip it to the belt open-carry. He was concerned that the clip would cut into my leg when inside the pocket. I suggested that the clip could go on the outside so I could clip it to the belt IWB. Then his concern was that the clip would print through the pocket fabric. I was willing to fund this experiment but I got the feeling he didn't want to be involved, because any disatisfaction on my part might get spread around and degrade his well deserved reputation.

I ended up with a Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. IWB which I am delighted with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links