Going to the southcenter mall carry or not carry

This is a discussion on Going to the southcenter mall carry or not carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Soccerfly Don't think I'd be breaking the WA state law, but it does bring up a valid point of trespassing on someone ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Going to the southcenter mall carry or not carry

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerfly View Post
    Don't think I'd be breaking the WA state law, but it does bring up a valid point of trespassing on someone else's property.
    But if the owner can bar you while you are engaging in a legal activity, then should the owner be allowed to bar people of a certain race, sexual orientation or hair color?
    9MMare and TonyDTrigger like this.

2. Remove Ads

Here's the way I look at it. And I know a lot of people don't agree, and that's cool. I just don't need a morality lecture. I know where my moral compass points and I'm on track.

If violating a posted business is a violation of your state law, I don't recommend breaking any laws. And it's against this forums rules to discuss illegal acts, so don't ask about breaking laws.

However, I choose to carry everywhere I'm legal to do so. I'm not a part time ccw carrier. I never know when or where my life may be in imminent danger. And no one else can tell me when or where that might happen either. If I had more than one life, I might have a different attitude. But I only got one life, and I have the right to defend it, with the most appropriate means available.

I respect other peoples rights. And if I know I'm unwelcome in a place posted with a sign, I'm on notice that I'm unwelcome can choose not to patronize that place. And there are places I don't go to by choice. However, I carry my gun everywhere it's legal to do so. If someone is uncomfortable with that and asks me to leave, I got no problem leaving and going somewhere else. In my state, it is quite clearly written in statute, violating posted businesses is not a criminal act.
    9MMare, Hoganbeg, ccw9mm and 1 others like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Since signs apparently have no weight in WA, the decision you need to make, is do you follow the property owners wishes, or do what you want to do. Myself, I wouldn't go to the mall.

Look at it this way. If you put a sign at your front door, that said "No Smoking". Would you expect someone entering your house to obey it, or would it be alright for them to go into the bathroom and light up, since you can't see it? After all, they aren't violating any law (yet), you can ask them to leave, and if they don't have them arrested for trespassing.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
    But if the owner can bar you while you are engaging in a legal activity, then should the owner be allowed to bar people of a certain race, sexual orientation or hair color?

here we go again.....
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    here we go again.....
    How long did you really think it would take? Makes ya miss Armyman
    Brad426 and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    How long did you really think it would take? Makes ya miss Armyman
    But strict scrutiny!
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

GH
    If gunbuster signs don't have the weight of law in your state then you have every legal right to exercise your 2A rights. If you have a moral problem of going against a private business's right to post those signs then don't carry there. Personally I just don't do business in those places unless I absolutely have to. I carry legally & if a business doesn't want me to be armed on their property I'll take my money elsewhere.
    9MMare likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

The Founding Fathers and authors of our constitution believed that owning personal property and the sanctuary which is created by one's personal governance of their private property forms a foundation upon which all of our personal freedoms, activities and independence stand.

If you don't believe this, then you should do more research and educate yourself. While you are at it, also research "Karl Marx and the abolition of private property".
    Ogre likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I carry there. I don't see signs?? Pretty thugy there. Nobody will ever know anyway. Unless the worst happens

Going to the southcenter mall carry or not carry

As others have pointed out, it is a mall policy not WA law. They can ask you to leave if they see it. Since someone tried to mug me in the mall parking lot in '97 , I am biased.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's not the business owners that don't want firearms,it's the mall management.To compare it to ones private property ie home ect. Is not a valid comparison.Individual business owners in the mall have no say in the matter,why boycott them?Signs do not mean anything in WA state,I've carried in that same mall myself.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    In Florida this would not be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    The Founding Fathers and authors of our constitution believed that owning personal property and the sanctuary which is created by one's personal governance of their private property forms a foundation upon which all of our personal freedoms, activities and independence stand.

If you don't believe this, then you should do more research and educate yourself. While you are at it, also research "Karl Marx and the abolition of private property".
    Quite true 1MoreGG, those beliefs (property rights) are part of why we removed ourselves via revolution from the governance of the crown. That revolution is why we HAVE the BoR. The constitution applies to what the GOVERNMENT can and cannot do, a person/private organization/business has the right to declare what occurs on their property (The Revolutionary War was fought so that they could), the GOVERNMENT cannot deny your right to bear arms (The Revolutionary War was fought so that we had that right, and The Bill of Rights declares it to be so), a private individual CAN deny you the ability to carry on THEIR property.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

in Washington State there ARE places, such as schools, post offices, court houses (i believe), where it IS illegal to carry.

signs posted by PRIVATE BUSINESSES do not have the force of law in this state, but as others have said, if you are discovered to be carrying, refusal to leave immediately CAN result in your being charged with trespassing. i haven't been to Southcenter Mall in ages, but i have never seen any "no guns" signs posted at Northgate or Alderwood malls, which are not that far away.

personally, i try to not patronize such establishments, but occasionally i have been invited to places that have "no guns allowed" signs posted. my decision has been to carry, but to be prepared to leave if i'm discovered to be armed.
    TheConcealer likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    If gunbuster signs don't have the weight of law in your state then you have every legal right to exercise your 2A rights. If you have a moral problem of going against a private business's right to post those signs then don't carry there. Personally I just don't do business in those places unless I absolutely have to. I carry legally & if a business doesn't want me to be armed on their property I'll take my money elsewhere.
    Yessir! That's my policy, too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links