Very Discouraged: Can't Shoot. For Good: "?" + WARNING! :

This is a discussion on Very Discouraged: Can't Shoot. For Good: "?" + WARNING! : within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice thread, good warning. Something to think about. I'm glad you found your way to a hand surgeon. P.S. 65 isn't old....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Very Discouraged: Can't Shoot. For Good: "?" + WARNING! :

VIP Member
    Nice thread, good warning. Something to think about.

I'm glad you found your way to a hand surgeon.

P.S. 65 isn't old.
    Last edited by Hopyard; November 18th, 2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: corrected spelling of the word Thread; I'd written threat
    detective likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    I thought about becoming an off-hand shooter too, and will if it comes to that. Great idea to boost my spirits and yes, I have a 38spl and a 9mm and may look into that FN Five SeveN that's supposed to have little recoil - or, cheaper would be a .22 Magnum which some say, with the new types of defensive ammo they have for it, it works for Self-Defense. Dunno about that.
    This is exactly what I was going to suggest, start shooting off hand and get as comfortable as possible with it. This servers two good purposes, first it lets your damaged hand rest some and second, if you ever do get into a gunfight and have your primary hand injured in the fight you have a back up already practiced.

Good luck and please keep us updated on how you are progressing with this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    I thought about becoming an off-hand shooter too, and will if it comes to that. Great idea to boost my spirits and yes, I have a 38spl and a 9mm and may look into that FN Five SeveN that's supposed to have little recoil - or, cheaper would be a .22 Magnum which some say, with the new types of defensive ammo they have for it, it works for Self-Defense. Dunno about that.
    Why not? If you were carrying for SD, that need hasnt changed has it?

Enjoy learning a new skill. We shoot weak hand in IDPA practice sometimes, so I practice it sometimes. Not as seriously as I should tho.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Rawah View Post
    I can understand your concern about giving up something you enjoy. I've had to give up shooting the heavier recoiling long guns because of a bad back. For me I found handguns... To be much more comfortable to me and not cause me increased pain I can only guess because of how the recoil is absorbed by my arm some first where as a long gun puts it more directly into my shoulder. So I may have a few long guns around just in case... But I've given up shooting them for fun at the range.
    In your case... Since its your hand... Maybe a less powerful caliber may be the way to go... At least until you heal some. I had to shoot a 22 for several monthes after my spine surgery.

Just remember... If we want something bad enough... We will adapt and find a way if it's at all possible. Don't give up.
    I remember asking my neurosurgeon before my spine surgery about whether and what things I'd be able to do again and what I wouldn't. He said something that hit me. He asked... "how bad do you want your old life back?" rehabilitation became my religion for 9 months. There are things I still can't do or choose not to at least. But where there is a will there is a way. And if shooting is something you decide your determined to not give up... I bet you will find a way...

I truly wish you the best in your situation and recovery process. There are many of us here who have had the thoughts about not being able to shoot again for various reasons. Know that we are rooting for you and wishing you the best in your recovery.
    Thank you, that's a terrific note for hope. I will remember your surgeons remark - a wise man...

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    I sounds like you have trapeziometacarpal/basal joint osteoarthritis. You probably won't get pain relief until surgery. There are good surgical options available. Your shooting didn't cause the arthritis but did exacerbate an underlying condition. You probably won't be shooting much more than a .22 for a while. Good luck with it.
    Agree with BadHabit. Don't give up hope yet. This may be something you can recover from, then begin shooting a well-fitted handgun without problems.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I am sorry to hear about the problem and I hope that things work out for the best and after reading your post I will make sure I have my shotting gloves on because I turn 73 in a few mos so please keep us posted and my thoughts are with you for a full recovery so you can go on shooting
    detective likes this.

just out of curiosity, what is the point of shooting gloves? i have never used them. is it just extra padding? or is there some kind of reinforcement in there?
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    As with many things in life, youth and a resilient body can compensate for many faults in our technique, but as I age I find technique and proper fitting tools are more critical to a successful outcome with minimum stress to my body. I suggest you spend whatever time it takes to find a revolver/grip that fits your hand properly. You must make certain your grip is correct, especially now. Try taking the grip panels off of the frame to see how the distance to the trigger is with just the frame. If you still can't reach the trigger it may be that you would benefit by switching to a smaller frame gun and lighter loads, or a single-action pistol.

For now, don't panic. Or, if you must, use the Modified Stationary Panic. Seriously though, I'm sure you will be shooting with that hand again. In the meantime, as was said, you have a golden opportunity to practice your off-hand shooting. Just make sure your grip is correct.

Best wishes!

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    The pair I had made for me has some extra palm padding and across the back of the hand and along the thumb there is re-enforcement strips with a velcro strap around the wrist we tried several different patterns and I also use a grip master as I have had several things happen to both hands and arms. The old friend that made these for me passed away 3wks ago so I hope I won't need another pair before my time is up.

Administrator
    It's amazing how human beings can adapt to nearly anything. Start shooting off hand with a lesser recoiling handgun that fits you better.

Also members with similar problems can try Past Shooting Gloves with the Sorbothane inserts.
    There are other gloves out there with the vibration dampening Sorbothane as part of the glove.
    Hopyard and detective like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sorry about your injuries and I hope you're able to recover. Never give up, just find alternatives that work for you. I have several 22s and absolutely have a blast shooting them. Browning Buckmark pistol, H&R 922 DA/SA snub revolver, and an old school SA long barrel revolver. Learn to shoot weak hand too. Where there is a will, there is a way. The HK P2000 9mm is supposed to be very light on recoil due to the spring set-up. I also found that my large frame .357 Magnum shooting 38 standard pressure ammo is very light in recoil. Remember, never give up and you'll find a combination that works for you when you get healed to that point.
    detective likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Sorry you are going through this. Please take care of yourself and start out maybe with a .22 when you are better. Thank you for letting me know this. Someone, who will remain nameless didn't think I knew what I was talking about when I said the trigger is to hard for me to reach. Glad you reaffirmed this idea.
    detective likes this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

the first carpometacarpal joint is one of the most common sites of osteoarthritis. shooting may make it more painful, but probably didn't cause it. I see it on X-rays if read every day. most of them probably don't shoot. my wife has it, and she wont get near a gun. just part of al the wonderful things that happen as we get more "mature"

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Boy !I feel your pain when an activity you love is taken away from you ,even though it's not thaty long I can relate as I was
    told I 'd have to take it easy on trapshooting for 6 months.I had fusion surgery done in December and started shooting trap in July.I found my way to handguns.Even after 6 months shooting trap with my remington 3200 Trap I would suffer for a week
    and it wasn't worth it. It's handguns,I found that I can handle most calibers but due to costs I practice with my carry pistol
    or at least one of them. Glock 17,1911 loaded springfield hi cap , S&W 99 in 45 and Charter house bulldog 44spl. I have a carry revolver S&W Bodyguard in 38spl. This thing beats the hell out of my hand.I guess no consideration was given to shooter's comfort.I figure the manufacters think comfort in a high stress enviroment is not a thing the shooter would even feel the discharge.
    detective likes this.

Your story definitely can serve as a warning to all of us. I never knew that this could cause permanent damage. There are a couple of my handguns that do have a long trigger reach. I'll have to be more conscious of how I shoot them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links