Very Discouraged: Can't Shoot. For Good: "?" + WARNING! :

This is a discussion on Very Discouraged: Can't Shoot. For Good: "?" + WARNING! : within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Fausty just out of curiosity, what is the point of shooting gloves? i have never used them. is it just extra padding? ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Very Discouraged: Can't Shoot. For Good: "?" + WARNING! :

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    just out of curiosity, what is the point of shooting gloves? i have never used them. is it just extra padding? or is there some kind of reinforcement in there?
    Well, obviously I haven't been using them so other folks could comment better - but I believe some have extra padding and the material itself acts as a bit of an absorber of recoil. Think this is the benefit (plus you can get a good grip, no sliding).

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    As with many things in life, youth and a resilient body can compensate for many faults in our technique, but as I age I find technique and proper fitting tools are more critical to a successful outcome with minimum stress to my body. I suggest you spend whatever time it takes to find a revolver/grip that fits your hand properly. You must make certain your grip is correct, especially now. Try taking the grip panels off of the frame to see how the distance to the trigger is with just the frame. If you still can't reach the trigger it may be that you would benefit by switching to a smaller frame gun and lighter loads, or a single-action pistol.

For now, don't panic. Or, if you must, use the Modified Stationary Panic. Seriously though, I'm sure you will be shooting with that hand again. In the meantime, as was said, you have a golden opportunity to practice your off-hand shooting. Just make sure your grip is correct.

Best wishes!
    I love the Modified Stationary Panic and take the overall message to heart. Times like these I bring up Steve McQueen's image in BULLITT.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbaldguy View Post
    the first carpometacarpal joint is one of the most common sites of osteoarthritis. shooting may make it more painful, but probably didn't cause it. I see it on X-rays if read every day. most of them probably don't shoot. my wife has it, and she wont get near a gun. just part of al the wonderful things that happen as we get more "mature"
    Thanks! Good to know it's not all me (I mean all my shooting).

From OP: Much Thanks!

I'm very glad I posted this and hope my warning keeps others from the same. But the real benefit to me is you all take the condition seriously but don't take my pessimistic conclusions seriously. That's a great combo and it makes me feel much better, at least in my mind if not my hand (but you're not magicians for that one)

so thank you - and I think too of all the people who would give anything to just have a thumb-joint their health problem - instead of broken spines, paralysis, fatal illnesses etc. It is too easy to look at the glass half-empty without good people to give you a different perspective - so I thank you all VERY much. I'll keep pluggin and not give up.

This is but a pebble in the shoe in comparison to what I could have.
    Last edited by detective; November 19th, 2012 at 07:04 PM.

Sorry to hear of your injury. The bright side is you do have two hands. It will take some time but you can master weak hand shooting.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

VIP Member
    You will probably able to shoot long guns. Muzzleloaders can vibe very low recoil. So too are 22 pistols.

I hope it all works out and you don't have to give up what you love.
    detective likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    time to switch to a less recoiling gun that doesn't punish your hand so much. Also might want to start training on you left hand.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Prayer said for your healing!

I liked big-bore N-frames in the 1980s, but transitioned to sixguns that fit me in the 1990s. I know I did damage, but hope that by downsizing early, I minimized the damage.

Switch hands it is not that hard to learn to shoot with your other hand. Good luck
    detective likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links