Gun Store Owner Robbed & Beaten

This is a discussion on Gun Store Owner Robbed & Beaten within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So the hoodies are now to blame for criminal behavior? Not at all. The ban on hoodies is for the benefit of the security cams. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Gun Store Owner Robbed & Beaten

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    So the hoodies are now to blame for criminal behavior?
    Not at all. The ban on hoodies is for the benefit of the security cams. At least at my LGS.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    Not at all. The ban on hoodies is for the benefit of the security cams. At least at my LGS.
    Do they ban hooded coats? Hats? Sunglasses?

Do they believe criminals will obey their "no hoodies" sign?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    So I'm not allowed to wear my winter coat into his store because it has a hood?
    The point wasn't that I believe in pretty signage, nor that I support the shopkeep's use of them. But he's got a right to say what he wants in this regard, via pretty signage if that suits him (for good or ill).

I was simply pointing out the matter of perspective. From the shop owner's viewpoint, "disallowing" things has some value. Of course, it doesn't stop a darned thing. Criminals will enter and attempt their crimes, irrespective of what they're wearing, carrying, sporting, skin coloration, number of buddies with whom they enter the shop, etc. And of course signage isn't depriving a person of a jacket, backpack, sunglasses or whatever. It's simply putting the person on notice they're likely to be asked to leave as a result.

It is what it is, silly though it seems.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

So I'm not allowed to wear my winter coat into his store because it has a hood?

And so what if I do wear a hoodie? Doesn't mean I'm going to use it's "built in mask" for nefarious purposes any more than I'm going to shoot up a supermarket just because I'm carrying my pistol when I go for groceries.

I'm sorry the guy had this happen to him, but these "no hoodies" signs are beyond rediculous.
    Watch the news and you see most crimes are hoodie wearing scumbags, there is no reason to enter a store witha hoddie on its warm inside usually. Yeah its their right in the streets but not in my store! I make my rules. If I see someone with a hoodie a red flag is waved. I would have electronic doors and a buzzer and if i didnt like the appearance of the people coming in, I would not let them in. Plus I would have 2 men in the back room watching camera and if a robbery starts them two come out while taking cover and shoot the dirtbags.
    lchamp likes this.

When he said he would rather take a bullet than let one of his customers it made me wish I could go and spend money at his store.
    mg27 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    there is no reason to enter a store witha hoddie on its warm inside usually.
    Do you ask your patrons to take their coat off when they enter too? After all, why not? It's warm in your store, no need to wear a coat, even if it is 30 degrees outside.

Rediculous.

I make my rules. If I see someone with a hoodie a red flag is waved.
    A hoodie is basically the new sweater. People wear them because they are warm and comfortable. If you wish to profile people based on their choice of cold-weather clothing, feel free. Bear in mind you may be losing business as a result.

But then again, I suppose you don't see it as losing business, as in your twisted world-view the only people who wear hoodies are crackhead thugs who probably wouldn't buy anything anyway...

Sorry I'm ranting about this. I've been turned away from stores for this and much more asanine things besides.

I get angry when I see this stuff and sometimes spout off, but I hate people who hurt old people or anyone trying to run a business.. So if my post seems a little angry its because thats All I see on the news at night, and most offenders fit that description. But cant put all in one catagory, just have to enforce laws and make a crime like this an example where no one in the right mind would even consider an act like this..

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Watch the news and you see most crimes are hoodie wearing scumbags, there is no reason to enter a store witha hoddie on its warm inside usually. Yeah its their right in the streets but not in my store! I make my rules. If I see someone with a hoodie a red flag is waved. I would have electronic doors and a buzzer and if i didnt like the appearance of the people coming in, I would not let them in. Plus I would have 2 men in the back room watching camera and if a robbery starts them two come out while taking cover and shoot the dirtbags.
    One of the LGS that I frequent has the electronic door and buzzer. Sign on door says 'no hoodies'...if they insist on leaving the hood up, buzzer doesn't get pressed. I watched a law-abiding citizen drop the hood when he approached the door...worked fine.
    d2jlking likes this.

I wouldnt care if they wear a jacket or coat, but dont enter the store with it on your head. Especially in a bank or Gun shop. Use common sense. if its my store I make my rules and if you dont like it leave

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    One of the LGS that I frequent has the electronic door and buzzer. Sign on door says 'no hoodies'...if they insist on leaving the hood up, buzzer doesn't get pressed. I watched a law-abiding citizen drop the hood when he approached the door...worked fine.
    PERFECT! Thats what Im talkin about.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Geeze.... People around here more worried about complainin about a 'No Hoodie' Sign than a 'No Carry' sign.

I get that we need to make sure that we do not discriminate in our society, at large, but, come on.................. It's his business. Its his business call (good or bad).

My 2 cents.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    If I were a store owner I would not allow concealed faces either. It is not "beyond ridiculous".
    Store owners have a right to refuse anyone service.

I have grown tired of these profiling arguments. Damn right I would profile.
    We all profile to one extent or another. If x person is in Y neighborhood running between houses at 2 am, darn right this fits the profile for suspicious behavior.
    mg27 likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Re: Gun Store Owner Robbed & Beaten

How about "Hoodie wearers will be shot, surviving hoodie wearers will be shot again!"

Since most states allow you to carry any way you please, in your store or home... If I were the shop owner, and someone walked in with a hoodie, I'd just elect to carry it in my hand. And point to the sign with the weak hand if they asked me why.

BTW, it's ridiculous and asinine. Sometimes, two esses are allowed in the latter.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Do you ask your patrons to take their coat off when they enter too? After all, why not? It's warm in your store, no need to wear a coat, even if it is 30 degrees outside.

Rediculous.

A hoodie is basically the new sweater. People wear them because they are warm and comfortable. If you wish to profile people based on their choice of cold-weather clothing, feel free. Bear in mind you may be losing business as a result.

But then again, I suppose you don't see it as losing business, as in your twisted world-view the only people who wear hoodies are crackhead thugs who probably wouldn't buy anything anyway...

Sorry I'm ranting about this. I've been turned away from stores for this and much more asanine things besides.
    If its happening often Id wonder what "I" was doing to attract this!
    Ive known two LGS owners killed in robbery's. There's a good reason why they carry in Gun Stores! Just except it for what it is. DR

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    I've seen this a lot, especially back in the UK. So the hoodies are now to blame for criminal behavior? Makes about as much sense as blaming the gun in a shooting.
    It's not the hood, it's the disguise. Concealing yourself from the camera. If you're doing everything legal, why cover up?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links