NC concealed weapons in vehicles - clarification needed.

This is a discussion on NC concealed weapons in vehicles - clarification needed. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought I understood this but the more I read the state statue the more confused I become as it seems to be inconclusive. If ...

Thread: NC concealed weapons in vehicles - clarification needed.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

NC concealed weapons in vehicles - clarification needed.

I thought I understood this but the more I read the state statue the more confused I become as it seems to be inconclusive.

If you have a cc license in NC can you carry your weapon on your person concealed and loaded.

2. Remove Ads

Yes.

If you couldn't, what's the point of a cc license? I live in FL now, but travel to NC to see family and my FL and VA licenses are recognized and reciprocated with NC. From all I have read since I travel there often, yes, you can carry loaded and on your person in your car and otherwise (unless in a place prohibited by law or a place that is posted - NC posting holds force of law).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    I thought I understood this but the more I read the state statue the more confused I become as it seems to be inconclusive.

If you have a cc license in NC can you carry your weapon on your person concealed and loaded.
    That's my understanding. What's got you confused?
    Don't bring a knife to a gun fight...unless it's strapped to a gun.

Pilgramshooter.....this from the statue.....D.

Transporting Weapons
    Given this general prohibition of carrying concealed weapons, individuals must be ever
    vigilant to ensure their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon, either on
    or about them, without being properly authorized to do so with a valid North Carolina, or
    recognized out-of-state concealed handgun permit. Therefore, the permittee's accessibility to the
    weapon is of prime importance. It is unlawful to transport a weapon (absent a proper permit) that
    is BOTH concealed and readily accessible to a person. It is for these reasons, that when
    transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to ensure that the weapon
    is not concealed and within the ready access to an occupant of the vehicle.
    North Carolina law
    does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile. Therefore, the central
    question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of an
    automobile?
    Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and readily accessible, and therefore in
    violation of North Carolina law, if it were placed in such areas ofa vehicle as under the seat of
    the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; or in some other manner is covered or hidden within
    the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle.

"without being properly authorized to do so with a valid North Carolina, or
    recognized out-of-state concealed handgun permit."

This being the key...

yes I understand that but then it says "Therefore, the permittee's accessibility to the
    weapon is of prime importance"....somewhat confusing at least to me.

You're reading too much into it... If you have a concealed carry permit, you can carry in a car. Good that you're doing your research to be sure, but in this case you're fine.

If unlicensed, you can carry in your car as long as it's in plain sight. If you have it under a jacket, under a seat, etc, that's not legal.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Yes

As long as you have your permit you can carry a handgun anywhere including on your person inside a vehicle. If there are others inside the vehicle that do not have a permit to carry it may cause problems if you have your handgun in the console or glove box since it would be concealed but accessible to a non permitted person.

The part that you quoted makes the point that you can not carry concealed in your vehicle UNLESS you have a valid carry permit.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    The part that you quoted makes the point that you can not carry concealed in your vehicle UNLESS you have a valid carry permit.
    This!
    Don't bring a knife to a gun fight...unless it's strapped to a gun.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    When you get right down to it, being CC on your person eliminates the constraints you have on where or how you must conceal a firearm in your car as opposed to it being on you. ie: if it is going to be in the car and not on you, must it be unloaded, must it be in a locked glove box or console, can it be under your seat or in a holster attached near your driving position in the car--the list goes on and on and many threads have been written on this subject. When you are CC, none of this matters.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    When you get right down to it, being CC on your person eliminates the constraints you have on where or how you must conceal a firearm in your car as opposed to it being on you. ie: if it is going to be in the car and not on you, must it be unloaded, must it be in a locked glove box or console, can it be under your seat or in a holster attached near your driving position in the car--the list goes on and on and many threads have been written on this subject. When you are CC, none of this matters.
    While in some states these concerns may make a difference, in NC they do not. As long as you have your concealed carry permit it can be anywhere in the vehicle in a locked or unlocked container and NC makes no distinction on whether a gun is loaded or not inside a vehicle.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Links