Defensive Carry banner

Anti-gun friend

2K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  gunthorp 
#1 ·
I have to tell you guys about my "anti gun" friend. We have known each other for about 10 years. We had the "gun" discussion the first few weeks into our friendship. We decided to not talk about it anymore because neither of us would change our minds.

Here is where it gets good. yesterday I get a call from him. He tells me that his daughters ex boyfriend was coming over to get his things. He has been violent in the past and was not happy with the break up. He asks me to come over to be with him so the ex wont be as likely to try anything. At the end of the phone call he says "don't forget to bring your gun". I had to laugh inside.

I went over and everything went well.

#3 ·
well go help your friend .. and dont belabor the point .. it must have cost him a bunch to call you , and to say that .. just be open to the possibility of takeing him/them to the range for some quality time if the oppertunity arrises ... maby eventualy someone will join the forum from this incident ya know lol .

#5 ·
I went over last night and everything went well. when the ex boyfriend came over and saw the two of us there he left the attitude behind. Only me and my friend knew about my concealed weapon. I just thought it was funny that at the first sign of trouble he wanted me and my gun to come and protect him. I think most Antigun people think the same way.

#6 ·
back in the early 70s a close friend of my wife's was extremely Anti Gun. She was attending the University of Texas in Austin and had just moved into an Apartment. A couple of months later she came home and looked like hammered dog poo, how one looks when they've lost the will to live. Being as sensitive as I am, I ask her what happened that she looked like s**t. She said a man broke into her apartment and took her hostage. She said he sexually assaulted her several times and told her he had murdered several women and would kill her next. He left her apartment for a few minutes and she was able to get loose and call the police. The police were waiting for him when he came back. It was true, he'd break into a female students apartment, tie them up, rape the dog do out of them, and then murder them. She was lucky.

She said that her father you give her some money to buy a gun if I would teach her how to use it. Her parents were Jews who had escaped Hitler and the death camps and were died in the wool pacifist. Her dad, a Chemical Engineer gave her $1500.00 to buy a gun with. We went to the local gun store and bought a Walther PPKs, a Browning High Power and a Remington 870 Police and a ton of ammunition, remember this was the early 1970s. The Browning HP was $189.00 new in the box as part of the package deal. Anyway I taught her to shoot over the summer and when she returned to school she carried the PPKs in her purse. Even though it was against the law, she always said that she knew what being kidnapped, raped and ready to be murdered was like, jail could could not be any worse. She now has a CHL, as does her husband and they are both avid combat shooters.

What's a Conservative? A Liberal who was robbed or raped the night before.

Jungle Work

#8 ·
falcon .. honestly most antigun folks are afraid of other things like bulldozers ... they fear what they are unfamilliar with .. if and when your friend can be exposed to firearms as recreation as well as a lump of steel that kills folks ( thier perception ) then they wont harber the almost phobia that sadly too many have in our country .. here is hopeing that yall can not only get along as friends , but also bring more folks into the fold so to speak .

#9 ·
He is a good friend. I felt it was my duty to help him. I hope this will help me change his mind. I don't think he will ever own a gun but I hope he will now see the need for people who want to own one to have the right to.

#10 ·
fal if nothing else try and get him out to shoot recreationaly ... he need not own a gun to realise that you or me owning one is a good thing .. and realise a gun is just a high speed power drill .. no more evil than his cordless out in the garage lol

#11 ·
After the ex left my friend was asking me about my pistol and how much training I had. I invited him to the indoor range with me on Saturday. I hope he tries a shoot or two. I want him to try a ruger 22.

#12 ·
great starter fal make shure ya got good ears for him just getting him to handle a gun will be an adventure for him , and if i may suggest ... run the target inn so he gets " good hits with a bullseye " if that is 3 to 5 then that is fine .. and dont use human shaped targets ... dont feed his paranoia if he goes ... he prob will back out this time .. give him time and keep dinging .. lets go so you can see ... you allready made good progress bud ... now slow and easy lol . Hey a shooting bud is worth more to me than a run of the mill accointance .

#13 ·
I think helping your friend was the right thing to do.

In the short number of years that I have gotten involved with the "gun nuts" I have learned one thing: gun people are the best there are.

I know some feel that if the guy is an anti, let him fend for himself, but I think that as a group, we are better than the anti's. We are, for the most part, caring people.

What you accomplished was showing the anti that even though you disagree with his beliefs, you are a friend who can be counted on.

Just another small drop that can join other small drops to form a raging river.

For a brief moment, you were a teacher and a guide.

Good work!

#15 ·
That is a sign of true friendship - even if your gun views differed so much. It is true tho it seems, many an anti who will not take responsibility for their own safety - is only too keen to avail themselves of the ''services'' of someone who is armed.

Anyways - I suspect here the wheels have gone into motion - and just maybe he will now follow the route of logic.

#16 ·
Almost feels like a group of missionaries, telling of their flocks and travels....

"Yea, brothers and sisters...we shall lead our people home....amen..."

#17 ·
I'll bet a lot of us have had situations like this. Once a prisoner escaped here and was on the loose in a rural neighborhood nearby. a couple of unarmed, scared young ladies were on the phone to me immediately. "Bring your guns and get over here quick, we need you to stay the night with us until they catch that guy!" One of those young ladies is now my wife.:biggrin2:

I think you did the right thing by helping out your friend. If you take him shooting, he'll get hooked. I have never taken an anti shooting that they didn't enjoy it. Even converted some into real gun nuts.:image035: and at least those who weren't into it lost their fear.

Good Job!:congrats:

#18 ·
You did the right thing. Friends have other friends backs, whether or not they totally agree on things. Since we decided to be "sheepdogs" (Being a cowpoke I tend not to like that term, but that's another story) we have to be sheepdogs period. The sheer possiblity of changing his mind may or may not be a side benifit of you going over. But I will guarantee if someday you have to get a lawyer I'm guessing your buddy would be right there for you.

#22 ·
All well and good. Think of an alternate ending. Dude goes ballistic and you end up in a good shoot. Friend tells cops that you came over with your gun because trouble was anticipated. Some moron LEO or prosecutor decides that you were looking for trouble. And on and on...

#24 ·
Some moron LEO or prosecutor decides that you were looking for trouble.
Possible , but fairly easliy cleared up. You went over to provide Moral Support for your friend and family as needed and when the scrote went ballistic you did what any moral person did to limit the damage to innocent partys . You did not go over with " intent" of involving yourself in a fight. It really wouldnt matter if the situation was resolved with a handgun , baseball bat , or broken wine bottle . The intent of self defense , not escilation is what a court would look at .

#25 ·
falkon: I wouldn't have gone over there, but I do appreciate the irony. I also concur with the consensus here: get him out to the range. That's the single best way to turn an anti into an enthusiast, or at least a tolerator.

raevan: There are animals in the world dumber than cattle? Wow. I sure never knew that. I've never been around sheep, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.