Maryland Insanity

This is a discussion on Maryland Insanity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Man, I'm glad I left Maryland!!!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maryland Insanity

Man, I'm glad I left Maryland!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

2. Remove Ads

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    Man, I'm glad I left Maryland!!!
    Me too.
    I have been in NC now for 3 years and love it.
    I just wish I could figure out a way to legally carry when visiting family in MD. I can carry all the way to the VA/MD border then have to unload and separate ammo from weapon then store unloaded weapon in a locked case (I also put a separate trigger lock on each weapon inside the locked case) and also store ammo in a separate locked case, both cases are kept as far away from occupants as I can (in trunk of car or back of SUV). I know this may be slightly overboard, but I want to be able to show just how difficult it would be to get to if I am ever stopped.
    I will not even attempt this method if I am visiting family in MA. No way I am going to try to go through NYC or even NY State and NJ with any kind of firearm loaded or not.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
    Forget MD,
    What about taking a wrong turn and finding yourself in DC?
    Yeah. . .I thought about that. If you are on 66 heading east and plan to take the exit to go to National Airport, you better not miss it: next stop DC.

Janq - you just described the MD trip. Drive under the speed limit, make no turns you are not 100% sure are legal and pray there is no fender bender. I'm usually not impressed with signs but there are times when "Welcome to Virginia" is a beautiful sight.

I had similar fears when driving in Nashua, NH with my NH permit...for those that don't know, Nashua is right on the MA border and in some areas (by the mall) you can cross over into MA very easily. My plan, if I ever saw the Welcome to Mass. sign ahead (and I was not yet in the state) was to pull over and risk a ticket for a u-turn ...then my my fears turned to making a u-turn IN MA ...thankfully, I never did wander into mass armed!

Paul,

BTW funny thing is that most everyone I know from MD and DC owns and a good number of them carry concealed as well albeit illegally.
    I'm a DC/MD native born and raised. Pretty muchnobody I know personally (friends & family) pays much attention to the anti-gun/possesion laws that MD and DC have.
    As such they are of course 'criminals' actively committing criminal acts although if the laws were different such as they are in VA then they would be entirely legal citizens like you or I. When I lived in DC and MD (I've been in W.Mass the past 18 months) I did exactly the same and played the odds.
    It's a dang shame that citizens are left to no other option but breaking the law to otherwise do what is otherwise entirely legal and moral. :(

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Does anyone know the Maryland laws regarding boating and firearms? I freqeuently boat in Maryand waters and am wondering if its counted as vehicle or a house? Fortunately my marina is in VA where I have CHP.
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Federal law provides that any firearm can be transported from one place it is legal to another place it is also legal as long as it is unloaded, cased, and kept in the trunk or out of reach of the driver. State law is superseded.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

PaulG you got me there. I was thinking that someone had taken the wrong exit on the GW Parkway and ended up on the American Legion bridge!

Rjva I dont know if I have the books anymore, I will have to check. But very important thing to remember, if you are on the Potomac river, you are in Maryland or in D.C. Either way being wrong would be expensive!

I grew up in Maryland and escaped thank God!
    I felt like one of those people before the fall of the Berlin wall who escaped East Germany.

Also, anyone who still goes through MD or will be traveling through there.
    MAKE SURE YOUR HANDGUN MAGAZINES ARE UNLOADED TOO! In Maryland, a loaded handgun magazine (even 1 bullet), you can and will be charged as carrying a handgun.

Next to California and New Jesey. Maryland has to be the worst gun state.
    What REALLY amazes me, is its very easy to have the Maryland State Troopers sign off for Class III weapons.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    What REALLY amazes me, is its very easy to have the Maryland State Troopers sign off for Class III weapons.
    Since when?? I have only lived in NC for 3 years and before that lived in MD. From what I discovered, it was about as hard to get a class III as it was to get a CCW, you need a lot of money, be someone with power, or both.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
    Since when?? I have only lived in NC for 3 years and before that lived in MD. From what I discovered, it was about as hard to get a class III as it was to get a CCW, you need a lot of money, be someone with power, or both.
    Next time your in MD, go to "Select Fire" in Glen Burnie.
    They have a wide array of Class III guns and suppressors for sale.
    I went to High School with the owners kids and shot guns with them often.
    You can even call them if you want, just ask them how easy it is to get C3 stuff.

The Glen Burnie State Police barracks signs off for C3 stuff all the time.

I guess I really cant comment on the other barracks.

Hell, my Uncle even got a SBR.
    All you need to do is fill out the forms, send the $200 for the Federal tax stamp and get your LEO sign off. Then wait about 6 months.

It wasn't hard at all.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

This is why I'm glad that FL is now my home. Other than SC, my travel routes and possible destinations are all under my FL permit.

I don't have to worry about the BS gun policies in those few 'commie states'...

Could I throw in lots of sun and no snow, too?

Stay armed...enjoy the gunshine...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

MCP1810, you are correct. North of the Woodro Wilson you are in DC, South you are in the Peoples Republic of Maryland.
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    The really frustrating part about all of this is that the BG's don't worry about where they're "allowed" to have guns at all- they just carry'em when they want to.

Gun control only controls the guns of the law-abiding.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I had this conversation with my dad the other day. I was riding with him (in Alexandria/Nova) to go run some errands and whatnot. Well, we took a wrong turn and ended up in DC. I looked over at him and told him "if I was carrying this could be a problem".

IMO living in Nova sucks because of this. We are a military family and my dad also travels alot. This means that we go onto Ft. Belvoir and other military installations quite regularly and I drop him off at Regan National every other week or so. Not to mention we live in Fairfax/Alexandria which is a pretty anti-gun place to begin with.. I am one wrong turn or one forgetful moment away from being in some pretty serious trouble. If I miss my exit or forget im carrying I could be screwed pretty hardcore...

I can't wait until I go back to college--but even there I wont be able to carry everywhere because they don't allow guns on campus.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links