Maryland Insanity

This is a discussion on Maryland Insanity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RjVA Does anyone know the Maryland laws regarding boating and firearms? I freqeuently boat in Maryand waters and am wondering if its ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maryland Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by RjVA View Post
    Does anyone know the Maryland laws regarding boating and firearms? I freqeuently boat in Maryand waters and am wondering if its counted as vehicle or a house? Fortunately my marina is in VA where I have CHP.

It is unlawful for any person without a permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person, or to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resided, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him.

And if you guys in VA think it's bad in Maryland, please visit http://www.marylandshallissue.org/ and help us out!

2. Remove Ads

I won't travel past Alexandria for this reason. If I had to travel to PA, I would drive though WV first.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

But, its my home....

Deacon51, thanks. Here me out on this guys. Key word is traveling. So, I have my firearm secured unloaded, ammo in a separate location, the whole Peoples Republic of Maryland garbage. I will be traveling too Virginia, where I am legal. I decide, to bring her off plane, anchor and spend the night. As far as I am aware, this is now considered my dwelling for the evening. There is a common belief, right or wrong, that a boat, with certain amenities, head, water, galley, is considered a home. I bet you would have a legitimate argument. My taxes concider it a home. Thoughts?
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Federal interstate law supercedes md law when traveling THROUGH Md. If your destination isn't in Md, I THINK that you can lock the firearm away from the ammo and unreachable to the driver and be legal.

Can someone confirm?

Assistant Administrator
    I am sure ''Peaceable Journey'' pre-empts, however as I understand MD stuff - if you have gun or guns on board, even if secure and outa reach - you are not supposed to stop - for gas, refreshment or about anything!!!

Only exception I guess would be visiting a shooting range.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I think the primary issue there & in many places is the severe penalty for having a gun against some city or state statute. If they want you to get a permit that is fine, but the severity of the punishment for not having a permit should be more fitting to the offense, more along the lines of a traffic fine. For example a $100 fine for being caught with a concealed weapon or a loaded weapon in a vehicle. Only if the weapon was being used for a crime should the penalty be severe. After all, criminals are the folks we want behind bars, not good citizens who may have made a simple wrong turn or been unaware of a different law in the city they just entered.

In Arizona the House & Senate recently passed a great bill that would have reduced the penalty from a felony to a petty offense if someone is caught with a concealed weapon without a permit & the weapon was not being used in a crime, but our anti-gun governor vetoed it. I voted against her in both elections but unfortunately she still won.
    My Blog: Dustin's Gun Blog

Memberships: NRA USCCA SAF GOA AZCDL NWSA

According to the National Safety Council, we are more likely to die in a bicycle accident or plane crash than an accidental gun shooting. We should ban bicycles & planes before banning guns.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I am sure ''Peaceable Journey'' pre-empts, however as I understand MD stuff - if you have gun or guns on board, even if secure and outa reach - you are not supposed to stop - for gas, refreshment or about anything!!!

Only exception I guess would be visiting a shooting range.
    That is about the size of it. To try and paraphrase the law you are allowed to drive to and from the place of purchase or the range and your home...... With no stops.

Now, just to add a little of the "brown stuff" to the game, in the metro DC area, you have the GW Parkway in Virginia, and the BW Parkway in Maryland, both run by the NPS. That means if you are stopped by the Park Police for something any you have weapons in the car it is like taking them into a National Park, since both roads are listed as such.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Yep. Well that is how it goes. Before you get on the WW Bridge pull onto the shoulder and unload. Get out and put it in the trunk. Otherwise be cool, obey the traffic laws and get back to civilization as quickly as possible. (My thinking is someone getting on at Rte 1, the last exit in VA, and turning around at say Indian Head Hwy in MD)

Still not as bad as Kansas City where on one side of the street you are legal and on the other you are not. Check out State Line Road. Northbound you are in MO and your permit is good, southbound you are in Kansas and your permit isn't good and you are going to jail if caught. Factor in the anti-gun bent by the KCK police and you can not expect things to go well if found out. We are hoping that January 1st or shortly there after brings reciprocity between KS and MO so this situation is resolved.

KS and MO have recognized each other since KS first announced reciprocity.

Carry on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links