Maryland Insanity

This is a discussion on Maryland Insanity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, let me say that I am not stating whether this is actual or hypothetical or if it involved me or someone else. But, here ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maryland Insanity

Maryland Insanity

First, let me say that I am not stating whether this is actual or hypothetical or if it involved me or someone else.

But, here goes. Subject was visiting a client in Alexandria. Has a valid Virginia permit. Left the office of the client and headed toward the beltway with the intention of going to Tysons Corner, VA.

After entering the beltway, had a brain fade because of the confusing signs went the wrong direction.

Subject discovered once on the beltway that the next exit was in Maryland.

The result was (or would be if this actually happend), travelling to the next exit, getting off and turning around and going back to Virginia.

Total mileage in Maryland was about 10.

Penalty for carrying a loaded gun in your car in Maryland (without a Maryland permit) is at least 30 days and as much as 3 years; fine of at least $200 and as much as $2,500 or both.

This is INSANITY!!!

That a law abiding citizen could screw up in such a minor way and face a long prison sentence.

OK....just venting.

Like I said, the above story may or may not have happened (but if it did IT SCARED THE HELL OUT OF ME).

2. Remove Ads

PaulG,

I lived in Maryland for 10 years and can sympathize with you. I was hoping when Ehrlich became Govenor things would change a bit, but for the most part they have not changed. I still have to drive into Maryland occassionally for work, but try to avoid it as much as possible.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Assistant Administrator
    On a bike ride - someone I know well - found himself inadvertently over the state line out of PA into MD - no sign of course so hardly easy to tell.

I also take great pains to not go to MD but had three planned bike runs this summer down to WV and so had to plan to go unarmed for the duration
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Paul,

Not to knock the tale but there are like 20 exits inbetween Alexandria, VA and crossing over the bridge before getting into MD.
    Maryland has it's laws and one has to be aware that they do not play.
    It's same as in any other state as one states laws are different than another.

The key to stroy is that the imaginary person wasn't cognisant of his actions (driving past his exit of which there are three ultimately leading to Tysons) or surroundings (heading into a whole other state).

- Janq has a VA resident CHP
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I lived in Rhode Island for a while and once took a wrong turn. About 3 minutes later I found myself in Connecticut. I didn't have a CCW, but if I had I would have just found myself in a crapload of trouble, so I feel your pain.

I feel your pain. I lived in the Baltimore area for 10 years after I retired from the USAF. It was a great relief to cross the WW for the last time. Came home to NW FL. and haven't been back. The one good thing about driving in MD. was it was easy to get off the I-95 offramps because the right lane was usually empty.
    Life is too short to be serious!

VIP Member
    Yep. Well that is how it goes. Before you get on the WW Bridge pull onto the shoulder and unload. Get out and put it in the trunk. Otherwise be cool, obey the traffic laws and get back to civilization as quickly as possible. (My thinking is someone getting on at Rte 1, the last exit in VA, and turning around at say Indian Head Hwy in MD)

Still not as bad as Kansas City where on one side of the street you are legal and on the other you are not. Check out State Line Road. Northbound you are in MO and your permit is good, southbound you are in Kansas and your permit isn't good and you are going to jail if caught. Factor in the anti-gun bent by the KCK police and you can not expect things to go well if found out. We are hoping that January 1st or shortly there after brings reciprocity between KS and MO so this situation is resolved.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

What happened to the law that says if you are just driving through you can have free travel rights? I would just pull over and unload and lock it in the trunk then put the ammo in the glove box.

Janq - the entrance in question was indeed the one mentioned by Scott. Therefore, you misspoke about me (or the person in question) passing up several exits before getting to Maryland.

If you get on from Henry street (route one south) the entrance splits north and south. If you want to go to Tysons Corner, even though it is north of Alexandria, you need to go south because technically you are on 95 and have to head toward Richmond and then exit on to 495 to Tysons. If you instead go north (which is intuitive) you are heading toward Baltimore.

And contrary to your assertion, there is no exit between this entrance and Maryland.

I point this out not as a flame but to further my point. You made a simple innocent mistake (humans do that). I don't think you should go to jail for it.

I couldn't agree with you more about being aware of your surroundings but as I said we are all human. I do my best to maintain situational awareness but that is not possible 100% of the time.

With the signs, new traffice pattern etc, this entrance is VERY confusing.

I DO understand the draconian laws of Maryland and do my darnedest to obey them when in that state.

My whole point is that it is a shame when a law abiding citizen makes a wrong turn in traffic and the result could be a long prison sentence.

Correct PaulG in regard to Henry St. and the confusion toward getting out of Alexandria at Rt. 1 onto 95, or accidentally heading the wrong direction into MD where it turns into 495.
    But the way your post read it was as if the person is already on 95 heading N oward Tysons and just happened to miss all the exits that would dump one off into Tysons.
    You made no mention about being confused at the Henry St. exit or heading in the wrong direction south of the 95 exchange mixing bowl.

A person wouldn't make that error but once, maybe twice, though as they get stuck crossing the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and having to drive east up 495 for miles up to Upper Marlboro to turn around only to get stuck in traffic again on the way back.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Would it help in such a situation to pull over, unload your gun, put it in the glove compartment and unload the magazine into the ashtray (for non-smokers)? State law varies, but I think it is legal to transport an unloaded gun in most states that prohibit carrying, as long as ammo is not quickly available.

How available individual rounds in a different unlocked compartments in the same car are is probably a grey area, but IF you are caught, it might give your lawyer something to build a defense with.
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

ibex - these thoughts came up but pulling over at that particular place on the beltway would in itself be dangerous.

Also, Maryland has a narrow list of exceptions for having an unloaded gun in your car.

I remember when I got my NRA instructors certification at a range in Maryland, we were also told to have copies of correspondence showing we signed up for the course in order to prove our purpose on the way to the course. We also had to sign a "shooting log" to prove that we were there in case we were stopped on the way home.

We were also warned that we should not stop to during the trip except for gas. Some officers interpreted the statutes VERY strictly.

Janq - you are right. The explaination of this hypothetical trip was clear and concise in my mind . . . it just didn't make it to the paper. One of the many reasons I am not a writer.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Forget MD,
    What about taking a wrong turn and finding yourself in DC?
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
    Forget MD,
    What about taking a wrong turn and finding yourself in DC?
    I believe that is what is called a nightmare. Lived and raised in Fairfax and been away from there 15 years. Miss it, but not the traffic.

Charlie
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Key is...don't get pulled over upon making said wrong turn, especially if the unfriendly neighboring zone is DC.

- Janq

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links