Car safe's....safe or scam ??

This is a discussion on Car safe's....safe or scam ?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saw a YouTube test of a car safe...I may be incorrect but I think it was for a CarVault model about 10.5 inch by 6.5 ...

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

Saw a YouTube test of a car safe...I may be incorrect but I think it was for a CarVault model about 10.5 inch by 6.5 inch by 2 inch high..it had a combination lock. They hit the lock with a hammer and it popped right open...

Need one, but one that can't be opened with a hammer.....can anyone suggest a secure one...
    Thanks

Don

VIP Member
    I doubt any car safe will keep someone who is determined out. The majority of car break ins are a smash and grab, they don't want to stick around any longer, or draw any more attention to themselves as necessary. Just make sure you get something that secures to the vehicle and is out of open sight.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    My car safe is a simple cam-over key lock. It will slow down a smash and grab, and it is affixed well out of sight. When i'm driving, the gun is on my person. The only time it is in the safe is when I enter a legally prohibited place.

I have a COM. A quick smash and grab wouldn't get it. To take it and open it later would mean they were carrying very strong bolt cutters to cut the cable.

I look at is as being not perfect, but a whole lot better than the center console or glove compartment (I drive a pickup so the trunk isn't an option).

Re: Car safe's....safe or scam ??

I drive a POS so that is my first line of defense - it ain't worth breaking into. And no one I don't trust knows there is a safe. I found one on Amazon - heavy steel box lined in foam just big enough for a full size. I got the key lock but it does come with a tumbler combination lock if you rather. It has a 1500 lb test steel cable I loop through the frame of the seat and the loops over the steel latch plate inside the box.

Nothing is crack-proof but they are going to need time to get into it and tools. And I never leave the car where it would be secluded enough to get worked over. A break the window and grab, if they spotted it under the seat would not work.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidGeorge View Post
    I drive a POS so that is my first line of defense - it ain't worth breaking into. And no one I don't trust knows there is a safe. I found one on Amazon - heavy steel box lined in foam just big enough for a full size. I got the key lock but it does come with a tumbler combination lock if you rather. It has a 1500 lb test steel cable I loop through the frame of the seat and the loops over the steel latch plate inside the box.

Nothing is crack-proof but they are going to need time to get into it and tools. And I never leave the car where it would be secluded enough to get worked over. A break the window and grab, if they spotted it under the seat would not work.

George
    Sounds like the same one I use...each car has one.

Locks keep the honest folks honest and are a mild inconvenience for other folks

I've been keeping mine in a locked glove box. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons why this isn't a good idea. Anyone care to tell me why?

Safe, sure. Secure, though? That's something else entirely.

Point of definition, so we stay on track: There are Safes, and then there are Storage Lockers. And one doesn't become the other merely because it's marketed that way. A safe is only such by virtue of its features, nothing more.

IMO, nothing with 18ga steel (or worse) and marginal locking/hinging mechanisms can ever be considered highly secure, no matter how many times you paint the lips on that pig. But then, stuffed into a car, there's only so much the average person is willing to do, short of damaging the car to bond something heavy/stout to it. Which means, the better lockers are about the most suitable cabin storage items for most of us, reasonably secure for dissuading casual access ... though, not for much more than that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Depending on what you drive you might be able to find one that fits into your center console. It's a safe in your car, and when consumers are trying to balance ease of use and security, it's a fine line manufacturers have to walk
    Console Vault Truck Safe - YouTube

Car Gun safes serve the same purpose as locks on a door. It doesn't really keep anybody out, but it does delay them. That usually is enough to thwart a theft. Keeping it on your person doesn't ensure security. they can hit you over the head with a tire iron from the rear and take the gun away from you. Having the gun on you however increases the threat of bodily harm and that may thwart theft. I use a COM btw and have the cable secured to the frame of the car.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_SDG View Post
    I've been keeping mine in a locked glove box. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons why this isn't a good idea. Anyone care to tell me why?
    Glove box is one of the first places thieves will check, & if it's locked, they figure something valuable must be in there....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Glove box is one of the first places thieves will check, & if it's locked, they figure something valuable must be in there....
    I always keep my glove box locked with nothing in it except my registration, insurance, and a picture of my middle finger with the words "!@#$ Thieves" on it. I figure the only people who are going to go in there other than me are thieves. I'm sure they'll cut up my leather seats after they find absolutely nothing of value in the car, but I can't do much about that.

Links