CC'ing when fellow employee is terrified of guns - what to do. - Page 2

CC'ing when fellow employee is terrified of guns - what to do.

This is a discussion on CC'ing when fellow employee is terrified of guns - what to do. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As noted by others, a morbid and irrational fear of guns is seldom prone to logic. I have two people in my life with the ...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: CC'ing when fellow employee is terrified of guns - what to do.

As noted by others, a morbid and irrational fear of guns is seldom prone to logic. I have two people in my life with the same issue and one of them will never change his mind. Ever.

The other was not at all interested in the logic of protection or safe carry or constitutional rights.....none of it. Inviting her to the range was also a no-go. What I finally had success with was taking the Eddie Eagle approach. We are two grown people and cannot control every aspect of our lives, I reasoned. You may be near a gun and not even know it, but if you ARE aware, for your own safety you can at least determine to Stop, Don't touch it, Leave the area, and call an adult. (Of course we already are adults, but you get the idea.) I actually have a copy of the EE program and I just took that slow approach to give her some comfort.

After about two months (during which time, I did not cease my regular carry at all....I just didn't tell her about it), I asked if she was interested in some more safety instruction. Not shooting, mind you....just education about how to be safe and keep a gun safe. I then bought her a 4 hour course at my local range that is simply a handgun safety class. There is no shooting, just instruction about the various types of guns and how they work, etc. It cost me $40 and it was worth it. She finally found some peace with the idea that a gun is just a tool, like a power drill; if you don't touch it, there is no danger.

Finally some level of relaxation. She will never be a shooter. That's OK. But she has more confidence about the tools and thanked me for not being a jerk and trying to give her a 'macho lesson' on gun handling. She then told me of her brothers who, growing up, had done exactly that, and that was the basis for her fear in the first place.

Don't think this would work for everyone but it taught ME something about patience, that's for sure.
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

carry concealed

VIP Member
    Get a more effective set-up, and speak of it no more.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    No one is beyond replacement. This is not your problem, it is hers to figure out. I don't see any further issue.
    Exactly.

Your business?
    Your rules?
    Her choice to get used to it or hit the road. The good news is you won't have to pay unemployment since she'll be leaving on her own accord.
    blitzburgh, JDE101 and Ghost1958 like this.

VIP Member
    Maybe shes just looking for an excuse to quit?

How can she drive to work, or anywhere, and be along with other cars and drivers who happen to have weapons in their cars........right next to her?

Never mind, I don't think she could process that realization.

What if she were a vegetarian, would you have to eat your lunch in the broom closet?

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Pro...+24010-14&ct=e
    Just get onea them Puppies,if she asks if your wearing a "Bra" tell her I don't ask about your lifestyle please respect mine
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Set up a one on one NRA basic pistol class for her and give it to her as a thank you for her years of service.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Brademan View Post
    As noted by others, a morbid and irrational fear of guns is seldom prone to logic. I have two people in my life with the same issue and one of them will never change his mind. Ever.

The other was not at all interested in the logic of protection or safe carry or constitutional rights.....none of it. Inviting her to the range was also a no-go. What I finally had success with was taking the Eddie Eagle approach. We are two grown people and cannot control every aspect of our lives, I reasoned. You may be near a gun and not even know it, but if you ARE aware, for your own safety you can at least determine to Stop, Don't touch it, Leave the area, and call an adult. (Of course we already are adults, but you get the idea.) I actually have a copy of the EE program and I just took that slow approach to give her some comfort.

After about two months (during which time, I did not cease my regular carry at all....I just didn't tell her about it), I asked if she was interested in some more safety instruction. Not shooting, mind you....just education about how to be safe and keep a gun safe. I then bought her a 4 hour course at my local range that is simply a handgun safety class. There is no shooting, just instruction about the various types of guns and how they work, etc. It cost me $40 and it was worth it. She finally found some peace with the idea that a gun is just a tool, like a power drill; if you don't touch it, there is no danger.

Finally some level of relaxation. She will never be a shooter. That's OK. But she has more confidence about the tools and thanked me for not being a jerk and trying to give her a 'macho lesson' on gun handling. She then told me of her brothers who, growing up, had done exactly that, and that was the basis for her fear in the first place.

Don't think this would work for everyone but it taught ME something about patience, that's for sure.
    I think something along the lines of what Brademan said. You could also consider paying for her trip to the psychologist to seek treatment for her irrational fear... if you can find a way to mention it without causing a lawsuit.

You are the boss.....make the decision. I would let her be and forget about the psycho babble. If she want to quit then that is what she wants....Me? I would sit her down and tell her very simply "this is who I am, I want you to stay but I won't change. Shake her hand and let her decide. Don't think the conversation woould laast more than 5 minutes.

Too many real shrinks in the world screw things up and they have degrees. Folks here are giving stock answers to a complex question (assuming she has an irrational fear). Every person is unique. Again, let her sort it out.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Op, has she actually had an experience that made her fear guns? Just wondering if she has.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Adios.

VIP Member
    I agree with glockman10mm. She is the one with the problem. You are not only the boss, but the owner. While you can respect her feelings, you can't let her decide what is best for you. She either needs to drop her unreasonable fear, or move on. Either way, business will go on without her. One thing I learned in 24 years in the military, no one is indispensable. Someone will step forward and things will go on.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'd set up a fake scenario where an armed man comes in and robs your business. You draw your gun and pretend to shoot him (blanks and dye packs for blood). Once she realizes it was all a joke she will see how important it is to be armed.

Alternatively you could tell her okay and carry truly concealed.
    d2jlking and kante like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

If she is that valuable to your business, then try to discover the source of her fear. Explain that guns don't just go off by themselves. Explain safety, holster, trigger covered, etc. Explain that you take your responsbility for personal safety seriously.

If all of that fails, get a S&W 442 in a pocket holster and secure your full-size weapon in your business location. The snubbie revolver should be sufficient, or at least get you to your larger weapon.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I'd set up a fake scenario where an armed man comes in and robs your business. You draw your gun and pretend to shoot him (blanks and dye packs for blood). Once she realizes it was all a joke she will see how important it is to be armed.

Alternatively you could tell her okay and carry truly concealed.
    I REALLY hope your joking.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links