CC'ing when fellow employee is terrified of guns - what to do.

This is a discussion on CC'ing when fellow employee is terrified of guns - what to do. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by miller_man I REALLY hope your joking. Nope, he should carry concealed and never mention it again....

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: CC'ing when fellow employee is terrified of guns - what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I REALLY hope your joking.
    Nope, he should carry concealed and never mention it again.
    Eagleks and grav like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I REALLY hope your joking.
    "you're"?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2slow04 View Post
    it would be a hard situation... my advice would be to get a smaller pistol and carry it to where she will never see it, maybe something in a pocket holster or something. I dont know what you attire is but i would bet you can carry and her never know it. but then agian she knows now and she will probably be looking for it until it passes her mind

maybe you can tell her that you care about her and want to protect her.. that may work, it shows that you care for her by protecting her. Maybe give her a scenario like someone coming into the business and shooting the place up. You never know it might happen.. just think about the recent shooting inside that nail/hair saloon.
    I see a problem with everyone with this type of though process. HE IS THE OWNER!.... The boss makes the rules.. he can carry if he wants, he should not have to down grade to a pocket pistol because of an employee that hates guns. If he wanted to hang a shotgun over his door in his office that's his choice. This lady that works with him is not his main concern.

His priorities are (1.) Staying safe during work (2.) Going home to his family every day. NOT PLEASING every employee's anti-American and their political views.

Some of us on this forum don't support or shop or eat at business with anti-carry signs posted on the door. Why should this Boss make his business anti-carry? because it makes his employee uncomfortable? What would she do if I walked in open carrying?

I'd ask her to have a personal conversation with her. It would go like this.
    boss: "so you don't want me to carry my gun? correct?"
    employee: "yes I would continue working here if you did not carry it at work"
    boss: "so if I should die then you will have no job and also will be responsible for telling my family why i'm dead. Can you handle that?"
    employee: "so I would have to explain to you family that because I was afraid of a piece of metal you are dead? Oh I don't know."
    Boss: "it goes both ways, I'd rather not have to explain to your family that you are kidnapped or dead because you are afraid of my metal tool that could have saved you."

I'd say give her two Options, be a little more open minded as this is America and we have certain RIGHTS, and she has come in contact with other CCer's and will continue to do so the rest of her life without her knowledge. Or move to Canada because they fit her lifestyle better.

I'm sorry if I sound a little harsh, but I have a low tolerance for those who don't agree to disagree and just leave me alone, they insist ignorance and fear should trump my Constitutional Rights as a Red Blooded American.

Good Luck. Hope you are still carrying.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

^^^^^^^not everyone :)
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by BillK01 View Post
    I've thought about the Smartcarry option but I sit at a desk most of the time and it appears that would be horribly uncomfortable after 8 or so hours even with an M&P Shield.
    Get a small gun and pocket carry. Take off your regular carry gun and store in your desk drawer when you get to the office. When you leave the office, then reholster your regular carry gun. If she asks, just lift your shirt and show her the empty holster. No need to explain. She'll think you left it in your car.

In case of emergency, you can used the small pocket carry gun to buy time until you can get to your regular carry gun in your desk.And never ever bring the subject again with her. If she asks, lie, lie and then lie some more.

However, in the end, YOU are the boss and it is your business, not hers. She needs to conform to your rules, not the other way around.

JMHO

Maybe find a female instructor that has dealt with other females who have a similar fear and offer to send her to an introductory to firearms class. Ask if she will wait until after her class by a professional until she makes any decision about leaving and say the two of you can sit down and discuss things further then.

Fifteen years is a long time to have someone and is going to be a pain to try to replace. Having a neutral 3rd party offer education on the subject will keep this from being a battle of the wills and hopefully turn it into a discussion. Good luck.

If she wins this round what will be the next thing she freaks out about and unable to work around it.

If your employee busted you for carrying so could a bad guy. Time to find a way to stay concealed. Pocket carry is my favorite and Appendix in the waist is second. Even Marshal says " Dress around your Gun"
    pittypat21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post
    Maybe find a female instructor that has dealt with other females who have a similar fear and offer to send her to an introductory to firearms class. Ask if she will wait until after her class by a professional until she makes any decision about leaving and say the two of you can sit down and discuss things further then.

Fifteen years is a long time to have someone and is going to be a pain to try to replace. Having a neutral 3rd party offer education on the subject will keep this from being a battle of the wills and hopefully turn it into a discussion. Good luck.
    What battle of wills? He is the boss.....
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

She is not your friend while on the clock, she is your employee. You must treat her as you would any other employee, regardless of position or tenure.

If she chooses to leave, so be it. There are plenty of people looking for work. Everyone can be replaced.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Find someone else that can do her job. There are plenty of capable people looking for work. No one is irreplaceable.
    pittypat21 and Ghost1958 like this.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Get a Ruger LCP and pocket carry.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Administrator
    I would not terminate an otherwise great employee just due to an irrational fear of guns. Sadly..it is a common trait shared by many people.
    Try hard to work it out. I'm certain that you will. Posting about it here is a good start.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

As one of my m/sgts told me, if no one can do your job, you can't leave it when I wanted to stop doing the role I got assigned during a vacation. I had to train my replacement once I convinced the bosses to give me someone to train. With 15 years, the problem child in the op's post might be fairly irreplaceable. If the op wants to get rid of her, certainly within his rights but might hurt his business.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm surprised at the number of people who would suggest a man, legally armed, in a place he owns, should downgrade his carry piece, probably chosen for the same reasons everyone here chooses their carry gun, to accommodate the unfounded, irrational fears, of a fruitcake employee!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links