CC'ing when fellow employee is terrified of guns - what to do.

This is a discussion on CC'ing when fellow employee is terrified of guns - what to do. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1. Offer her a raise to look the other way. 2. Let her run the business and you stay away and spend more time with ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: CC'ing when fellow employee is terrified of guns - what to do.

mkh
    1. Offer her a raise to look the other way.
    2. Let her run the business and you stay away and spend more time with your boys.

2. Remove Ads

You made the first mistake by not concealing properly. Now you have to live with that error.

Your next decision is... what is more important...your excellent employee or your gun. You decide.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Senior Moderator
    Seems to me that you need to do two things:

1. Improve your carry method so it is not visible.
    2. Don't confirm that you carry if asked. It wasn't any of her business in the first place, and there was no reason to confirm her suspicions.
    suntzu, ep1953 and MrsHB like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Although a Browns fan from Cleve., I could conceivably relocate to Pittsburgh for the right position. We could even shoot together when time off.
    JDE101 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    You made the first mistake by not concealing properly. Now you have to live with that error.

Your next decision is... what is more important...your excellent employee or your gun. You decide.
    he is the owner he doesn't have to keep the ball in his court she is the one with the problem not him. Put the ball in her court and let her decide. As someone else posted there are billions of other people in the world someone can take her spot if talking doesn't seem to work. If her views/fears are that strong and she leaves it is her loss more then his.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I think:

Your business
    Your rules

There has to other qualified people out there in these days. I would not be give an inch. IMHO.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

After reading 6 pages I have come to the conclusion I am a real simple man. I would not stop carrying, I would address her concerns, and leave it at that. I honestly do not know what the hard part of this is. How many of you here would change the way they carry or not carry at all because of an employee's discomfort?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    After reading 6 pages I have come to the conclusion I am a real simple man. I would not stop carrying, I would address her concerns, and leave it at that. I honestly do not know what the hard part of this is. How many of you here would change the way they carry or not carry at all because of an employee's discomfort?
    It wouldn't require any decision making effort for me.

I had almost the same situation last year. One of my managers jokingly put her arm around me & put her hand directly on my EDC (M&P40C in a Minotaur MTAC) under my untucked shirt. The situation went from goodhearted & joking to utter terror in a flash. I explained that I've always CC'd at work (my business) and would continue to do so. After some discussion, she flatly said that she hated guns. So, I told her that if an armed robbery occurs (retail business), I would not use my weapon to keep her from being shot by the BG. She told me that in that situation, I could use my gun to save her life, but she hated guns & didn't want them around her. I still CC everyday, all day and she's no longer an employee.
    BugDude likes this.
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong..

Seems like you have misplaced loyalty. She's ready and willing to throw away the 15 years, no point in you clinging to it. This is a form of blackmail, you quit carrying or she will quit. Blackmail - plain and simple. Over something that is none of her business. You make your own decision, but think about being manipulated in the future.
    wmhawth and Ghost1958 like this.

I'm surprised by how many people have no regard for the employee. In spite of her fear, she is still a person and deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. The fact she has a different opinion than the owner of the company is not even close to a good reason to treat her like trash and send her looking for another job. It sounds like the OP cares about this employee as a person, as any good employer should. I think the best course of action is to try and help her sort out her fear without giving in to her irrational demands that he stops carrying.
    Paymeister and denclaste like this.

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    I'm surprised by how many people have no regard for the employee. In spite of her fear, she is still a person and deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. The fact she has a different opinion than the owner of the company is not even close to a good reason to treat her like trash and send her looking for another job. It sounds like the OP cares about this employee as a person, as any good employer should. I think the best course of action is to try and help her sort out her fear without giving in to her irrational demands that he stops carrying.
    Who here is treating her like trash? And folks have been giving the OP advice on what to do. In fact, I did not see apost that did not treat her with respect. The worst statements were that if she does not agree with him having a gun there are other folks that need jobs.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Tell her to make a decision and live with the consequences. No one employee is irreplaceable.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Maybe she would be better suited working for a large company where CC is not permitted. She needs to respect your right to carry as a small business owner. She does have a choice.

Another persons phobia of guns isn't a good reason to stop carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    Treating her like trash??? Not at all. Simply not indulging her irrational demands. Looking for another job would be her call.
    ep1953 and Ghost1958 like this.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Links