CC'ing when fellow employee is terrified of guns - what to do.

This is a discussion on CC'ing when fellow employee is terrified of guns - what to do. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So how do I best handle this situation. I own a small business and have an employee who is very key to the businesses success. ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: CC'ing when fellow employee is terrified of guns - what to do.

So how do I best handle this situation.

I own a small business and have an employee who is very key to the businesses success. We've been together for years and she's always known of my love of hunting, shooting and guns in general.

I have cc'd a good bit lately and the other day she noticed my belt clip from my holster and asked if I was carrying my gun. I told her yes and I've been carrying for several months. She pretty much freaked out and said she doesn't think she can work for me if I have a gun at work.

On one hand I want to say "bye bye it's my business and if you don't like it tough - leave". But on the other hand she's been with me for over 15 years, knows the business is generally an asset and would be difficult to replace. I also don't want someone being uncomfortable. Her fear is bad - really bad - totally irrational.

I'm stumped on the best way to handle this situation - after all I AM the boss but I also have respect her fears and feel I owe her a certain degree of respect. We deal with the public a lot and have a lot of walk in traffic at my office but we are also in a very low crime area.

Thoughts?

Have you invited her to the range?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

You already know about "Carry Always, Never Tell". You already know that you have violated that rule by first being made and then admitting it. Silly you. (Sorry about that.)

I understand that Dr. Bruce Eimer (PhD, practicing clinical psychologist, NRA instructor) treats hoplophobia as a clinical mental illness. Perhaps you might contact him for suggestions.

Defensive Handguns Forum - Hoplophobia is a real problem!
    NONAME762 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Have you invited her to the range?
    I've tried. She doesn't even like to talk about guns so the likelihood of her ever agreeing is slim to none. :-(

I would explain to her that you conceal carry for your own protection. Tell her how much you respect her views and concerns, and how much you value her as an employee. Tell her that you carry as a lifestyle and that won't change. Tell her that you will be more careful to keep the gun from view. Unless of course you just want to stop carrying at work.? I think you can carry and make her feel more at ease just by letting her know that you value her opinion.
    miller_man, mprp, Titan84 and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    My wife was afraid until she went and was given instruction on how to safely handle and shoot and then she shot and now she has her CHL and has hers with her wherever she goes, including at home. The hardest part is trying to get someone who is fearful to even give it a chance.
    lchamp, carracer and 84160 like this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Not at all sure you can overcome this one if she has a morbid fear of guns...Would offer that you sit her down in private and discuss the reasons you have the gun at work, the training you have had with handguns and see if you can determine where her fears stem from. If you understand why she fears the gun you may gain an insight as to how you may overcome it. Or you may realize you can't. Either way you probably will have to make a decision not to carry at work or face loosing her. I don't envy you.

She'll get over it.
    sioux565, kmagnuss, Badey and 9 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    She'll get over it.
    No, she'll quit and the OP will be screwed.

Hoplophobes are profoundly irrational. Their standard coping tactic for dealing with their fear is to flee from the presence of a firearm. If they feel that they control the area (home, business) their standard tactic is to banish the person who has a firearm.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Re: CC'ing when fellow employee is terrified of guns - what to do.

SmartCarry, if she notices with that your relationship is much different than you shared here.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    SmartCarry, if she notices with that your relationship is much different than you shared here.

I've thought about the Smartcarry option but I sit at a desk most of the time and it appears that would be horribly uncomfortable after 8 or so hours even with an M&P Shield.

It appears that the mind of your key employee is fixed--and she is not likely to alter her perspective.

I wish that I could offer a possible path to a solution but I am not aware of one. Sadly, when a person chooses to be unreasonable, reasoning with them will not work.
    BamaT, Glock1978 and rtbrown like this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Re: CC'ing when fellow employee is terrified of guns - what to do.

I carried a Shield in one, it's a non issue if you wear it right (low).

They have a free trial period, like 60 days, nothing to lose.

No one is beyond replacement. This is not your problem, it is hers to figure out. I don't see any further issue.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

it would be a hard situation... my advice would be to get a smaller pistol and carry it to where she will never see it, maybe something in a pocket holster or something. I dont know what you attire is but i would bet you can carry and her never know it. but then agian she knows now and she will probably be looking for it until it passes her mind

maybe you can tell her that you care about her and want to protect her.. that may work, it shows that you care for her by protecting her. Maybe give her a scenario like someone coming into the business and shooting the place up. You never know it might happen.. just think about the recent shooting inside that nail/hair saloon.
    XD Subcompact 9MM
    more to come..

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links