NoVA CHP Holders

NoVA CHP Holders

This is a discussion on NoVA CHP Holders within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi y'all. I'm usually a lurker, have had a CHP through the City of Alexandria about a year and a half now. . My fiance ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Roy McC

Thread: NoVA CHP Holders

NoVA CHP Holders

Hi y'all.

I'm usually a lurker, have had a CHP through the City of Alexandria about a year and a half now. . My fiance is trying to get her CHP. I'm wondering if anyone here in Northern Virginia knows how long the process takes now since applicants apparently no longer have to be fingerprinted. I'm betting they still stretch it out out of spite?

Sorry, no VA info, but - Welcome to the forum!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

The State of VA has 45 days to return your permit.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Sorry, no VA info, but - Welcome to the forum!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy McC View Post
    The State of VA has 45 days to return your permit.
    I know they have 45 days. I was just wondering if the end of the fingerprint requirement had any affect on how soon they actually send'em off now. I received mine in about 25 days when they required prints.

As a previous poster stated...it could take up to 45 days. You should also join Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL) They will help keep you up to date on what is happening in VA in regards to gun laws. Join their email list (free)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

It depends on which county she is in. It took Fairfax 43 days to do mine (typical for Fx). Co workers report shorter times in Loudoun and P William.

when i applied for mine shortly after they removed the printing aspect, i recieved it in just under 2 weeks. one of my Marines however just recieved his after about 51 days. so.... it appears theyre running slow these days.
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    Got mine in the mail the next week -- maybe three work days later.

If she goes over the 45 days, ask for the temporary and let me or someone in VCDL know.

18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry; penalty.

SNIP
    D. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. There shall be no requirement regarding the length of time an applicant has been a resident or domiciliary of the county or city. The application shall be made under oath before a notary or other person qualified to take oaths and shall be made only on a form prescribed by the Department of State Police, in consultation with the Supreme Court, requiring only that information necessary to determine eligibility for the permit. No information or documentation other than that which is allowed on the application in accordance with this subsection may be requested or required by the clerk or the court. The clerk shall enter on the application the date on which the application and all other information required to be submitted by the applicant is received. The court shall consult with either the sheriff or police department of the county or city and receive a report from the Central Criminal Records Exchange.The court shall issue the permit via United States mail and notify the State Police of the issuance of the permit within 45 days of receipt of the completed application unless it is determined that the applicant is disqualified.

SNIP

Only a circuit court judge may deny issuance of a permit. An application is deemed complete when all information required to be furnished by the applicant is delivered to and received by the clerk of court before or concomitant with the conduct of a state or national criminal history records check. If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and mail or send via electronic mail a copy of the certified application to the applicant within five business days of the expiration of the 45-day period. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification pursuant to subsection H, until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified. If the applicant is found to be disqualified after the de facto permit is issued, the applicant shall surrender the de facto permit to the court and the disqualification shall be deemed a denial of the permit and a revocation of the de facto permit. If the applicant is later found by the court to be disqualified after a five-year permit has been issued, the permit shall be revoked. The clerk of court may withhold from public disclosure the social security number contained in a permit application in response to a request to inspect or copy any such permit application, except that such social security number shall not be withheld from any law-enforcement officer acting in the performance of his official duties.

E. The following persons shall be deemed disqualified from obtaining a permit:

SNIP

[Emphasis added]

Note: Re: taking a picture or copping your drivers license -- Although they cannot require photo or copy your DL as part of the "application":if you ask them to notrize the app, they can as a "...notary or other person qualified to take oaths..." in order to insure it is you. OTOH, if you don't want your picture on file, take the app to a bank et al and have it notarized. Ditto. showing that you are a resident of the county. A utility bill works.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I received mine from Fairfax County in about 3 weeks. That was a couple of years ago though and things may have changed since then.

My initial CHP took about 30 days in Loudoun. I just renewed and received it in about two weeks.

Many Nova jurisdictions are still dragging the process out to 45 days, and are still asking for extra-legal stuff.

Don't give them an inch...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NRAInstrctor View Post
    Many Nova jurisdictions are still dragging the process out to 45 days, and are still asking for extra-legal stuff.

Please advise VCDL Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL) of any extra-legal stuff.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McDonaldUSMC View Post
    when i applied for mine shortly after they removed the printing aspect, i recieved it in just under 2 weeks. one of my Marines however just recieved his after about 51 days. so.... it appears theyre running slow these days.
    I hope he went to the Court Clerks office at the 45 day mark and got a temporary permit.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I hope he went to the Court Clerks office at the 45 day mark and got a temporary permit.
    Yup!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sponsored Links