Defensive Carry banner

How long does the thrill last?

6K views 63 replies 55 participants last post by  ghost tracker 
#1 ·
I'm registered to take the CHL course at the end of next month and will have my license not long after. I already know that carrying a cocked and loaded gun on my person will be quite an exhilarating experience, at least at first. The idea of it all is both exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time. And in a good way obviously, as this is all to protect my business, my family, and myself. I'm just curious how long the thrill of it all will last before EDC becomes just a routine every day thing that I don't even think about anymore. I just think back to when I got my drivers license and could go where I wanted by myself. That feeling of freedom is something I'll never forget. I imagine the feeling of CC'ing to being pretty close to that.

I'm interested in what both seasoned and new CC'ers alike have to say about this sort of thing.

#32 ·
To the OP...try turning your "thrill" and your "excitement" into a "thirst"...A thirst for knowledge...A thirst for knowing the law, how the law can be applied in certain situations. Knowing your weapon, why you chose it, mastering it's use to the utmost of your ability. Know your carry options, why you chose them, the pros and cons of your decision. Know the great responsibility which is on your shoulders...Responsibility for yourself, your family, perhaps others based on your choice to carry. Know what Situational Awareness is, the various levels, why it works, what is necessary for you to hone and refine yours. Know, that in an emergency/critical situation, you will default to the highest level of training which you have "mastered". Know what will affect your reactions and how they affect them.

I could go on and on and on. Once you've embarked on the journey, you can choose to just "be satisfied" or you can choose to "quench your thirst" and learn/achieve as much as possible so that your "thrill and excitement", which hopefully you turn into a "thirst", will now become a "comfort", each and everytime you "weapon up"...Train Sir! TRAIN SOME MORE SIR! Never stop learning and training. JMO

Reactions: msgt/ret
#34 ·
Throughout my journey to my CCW, my feelings ranged from excitement, to anxiety, and finally peace. The excitement of the learning and receiving my license was soon replaced by the terror and anxiety of the reality of carrying a deadly weapon. I spent many weeks carrying my unloaded P238 (cocked and locked) around my home, even "trying" to make the unloaded gun accidentally "go off." After I realized that couldn't happen, I finally overcame my fears and began carrying "live." The first few times I carried in public were very short trips (gas station, coffee shop, pizza carryout) until I overcame the anxiety of my newly acquired awareness and responsibility. After just a couple weeks, I've found that anxiety replaced by a sort of peace.

I'm generally a very passive type of person, but knowing I can also become the most dangerous person in the room (God forbid a situation arise) is a truly comforting feeling.

Reactions: ShooterGranny
#35 ·
I'm not sure exactly when strapping on my daily carry firearm became about as exhilarating as putting on a clean pair of socks...but, at some past point in time that did happen. :biggrin2:

#36 ·
Not long

Only been carrying a couple weeks. Keep in mind I am in Texas so printing isn't an issue, but I almost immediately realized I wasn't nervous about it, and didn't care if others notice. That's not to say I was reckless about people seeing.

Did go without one in the chamber until one day a feeling almost like being naked in public came over. Chambered a round at the next opportunity and haven't looked back.

#38 ·
Within a year, you mostly won't even think about it while you're wearing it.. but you're always aware that it's there.

you know I couldn't resist...

#40 ·
I love BB King. Got a chance to see him several years ago. He doesn't play as much as he used to. He breaks up his show with a lot of talking, but he talks about what's really important in life. He kept it entertaining, but got his points across about some things he had to learn the hard way. And even at his advanced years he could still play ol' Lucille like she was meant to be played. I've heard that he doesn't play much any more. He's in semi-retirement. At 88 years old, he's earned it. I have a feeling he will never completely retire. He'll keep playing till the day he dies. Just an incredible musician and entertainer, and an incredible man.

#42 ·
As to the "thrill" of carrying, I don't know if I ever experienced it myself. When I first started carrying I felt a little anxious about it. In time carrying has become something I just do as part of getting dressed for the day. When I'm not carrying I almost feel naked. I do still feel the awesome responsibility I have to carry safely, I just don't feel anxious about it any more. On the other hand, I do feel anxious when I'm not carrying.

#43 ·
Ive been carrying since the first quarter of the year... After a while, I gets to be meh. I force myself to carry a bigger gun whenever possible, but lots of times I just go with the simple idea of sticking my Ruger LCP in my pocket. Obviously, its better to carry my Glock 17 with 18rds ready to go, but 7rds of .380 is better than nothing. Get a few different guns for different types of carry. Sometimes, instead of not taking your full or mid size gun, you will just go without if you have an excuse as to why it isnt a big deal... Thats when I decided I needed a little micro .380. When I was out and about today, I carried my 17. Later on, I was just hanging out at a friends house playing some games, and just decided to have my Ruger in my pocket. I dont think I need a full-size duty weapon to play GTA5.

Anyway, my friend just started carrying a few weeks back. Average height, and skinny as a rail. He carries his G19 OWB and it generally prints pretty bad anytime he moves at all, but he wont listen. He is still on the "Id never carry anything smaller" kick, because he just got his permit and wants to feel like rambo. When youre 5'9 and 130lbs, a G19 is a pretty massive gun for him. Im 6'5 300lbs, and the G17 looks like 1/4 the gun on me as the G19 does on him. I think he will finally break down when the thrill is up.

#44 ·
A lot of that depends on how you carry the firearm, too. I'm about the same build as your friend, though a bit shorter at 5'6" and 115lbs or so. I EDC a Walther PPQ, and it doesn't print at all,. I use a hybrid holster at 4 o'clock. I don't think it's al issue with the Glock being "big" so much as that stick of butter shaped slide it has. All square edges. I saw a pic of a G19 with the grip cut down to that of a G26, and it was pretty neat. Anyway, thickness plays a part in concealment for a handgun, but I think the length of the grip with mag is the biggest factor in hiding a gun. Barrel or slide length doesn't seem to affect much.

#49 ·
I've never had a thrill from carrying a gun for self-defense. In forty years, I've never taken my self-defense gun for granted nor have I seen it as anything but a tool to get someone doing me violence to stop.

Carrying a gun is not thrilling. It is sad.

#50 ·
I think "thrill" may not be the best word to describe the feeling you get when you are new to carrying. When I got my carry license about 8months ago and began carrying most everywhere, I recall being pretty nervous and self conscious. Maybe you could call that thrilling I suppose. Now, in the short time I've been carrying, I'm no longer nervous, but I am still self conscious. I'm mindful of where I sit, where I am when I bend over and who may be behind me and may notice if my gun prints a bit. So far, carrying has not become something "I don't even think about".

#51 ·
I'm going to agree with Poorly, it was kind of sad when I decided to start carrying in my mid-40's. I really haven't lived in an area with high crime until recently, and a few situations brought me to the point I felt the need to carry. I've always enjoyed target shooting, so it wasn't a big step to start carrying...thus no thrill I suppose. Excitement to go to the range, yes, to carry, not so much, but I do it anyway.

#52 ·
Good point. Maybe instead of concentrating on the choice of the word, "thrill," instead think of it as the anxiety, the nerves, or what have you. I definitely was very self-conscious when I first began carrying a firearm.

#53 ·
Sure, when you first start CCing, you are now wielding a power that you never had in the past. The power to defend yourself with deadly force against deadly force. The "thrill" is probably a combination of brief nervousness, self awareness, situational awareness, and the awareness of a firearm on your person.

Very soon, you will realize that the thrill of being capable of defending yourself will turn into the wisdom of knowing that you now only stand a chance to defend yourself against deadly force - not a guarantee. You may not be as easy of a victim, but you could still be a victim. Stay vigilant. Carry when you can.

Reactions: DetChris
#54 ·
So, "going about my lawful affairs" today, I made the loop through town. I stopped at the bank, where I still feel a bit conspicuous, and then was on the way to the Post Office when I remembered I can't carry there. I pulled into a nearby parking lot and locked the pistol in the glovebox before continuing to Federal territory.

I was most grievously annoyed...

When I got home, I dug out the lockbox I'd bought months ago, figured out a way to lock it to part of the seat (the Geo doesn't have a conventional seat track, which made it a bit of a pain) and pushed the lockbox under the passenger seat. At least next time I'll have a more secure place to put the gun than the glovebox.

#55 ·
There seems to be a change in attitude about daily carry at about the three year mark. Some people, having not had any occasion to be in fear of needing a defensive firearm will opt to change their carry, carry less often, or stop carrying at all. It seems to be a bit of a watershed period. Once you pass that point if you opt to continue to EDC (everyday carry) your routine doesn't seem to change.

I suggest looking at the weight of your carry and try to carry "the most bang for the ounce". For many it's a Glock 26 a double stack with 10 rounds which can accept extensions to increase it to 12, 13 and also 15 rounds (with a G19 magazine). You can conceal with a standard 10, and carry a reload with a higher capacity, for example.

If you start out carrying a 2-3 pound firearm, you might end up finding reasons not to carry. Dress around your firearm, carry a lightweight model (as above), and carry in the same location.

Good luck!

#56 ·
Although it does become routine after a while like the others are stated. I however do get a little excited every morning when I put on my pistol knowing that my chances of surviving the day have just increased exponentially. Congrats and good luck. Good to see another one joining the ranks.:hand10:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.