How long does the thrill last? - Page 2

How long does the thrill last?

This is a discussion on How long does the thrill last? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The answer (IMHO) is less about concealed carry and more about human psychology. When I was a kid I would sit on the bathroom counter ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: How long does the thrill last?

The answer (IMHO) is less about concealed carry and more about human psychology. When I was a kid I would sit on the bathroom counter & talk with my Dad early in the morning while he shaved. I was intrigued by the whole process, the steam, the smell & even the unique sounds made by his double-edged razor cutting his heavy beard. As an early teen I watched every whisker growing on my face anxious to enjoy this male ritual. But once I began, just like the rest of us, my shaving quickly became no more than another required task. No thrill, no intrigue, just a little precision under my nose & around my Adam's Apple. That's the way I see concealed carry. You can hurt yourself (badly) if you're inattentive, but it's just something I choose to do.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The thrill is gone!! But your awareness of your surroundings is enhanced and remains with you.
    jem102 likes this.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

mkh
    Just don't let it become so routine that you forget safety first.

Yeah, but buy a good enough holster that you can't feel your handgun every second.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    3 weeks, 2 day, 5 hours, 23 minutes and 47 seconds.

If it takes you longer than this, then you're just plain weird
    mkh, iguanadon and mg27 like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Just don't let it become so routine that you forget safety first.
    ^ This. Complacency is your enemy. As others have said, the thrill wears off quickly. When it first does, this is a dangerous time period, as your safety rituals may not be burned-in yet.

For example, when putting on your rig in the morning, it's easy to get distracted while you're going through your safety procedures. Mine consists of a press-check, and then thoughtfully inserting into holster with additional care (technique depending on the model of the firearm). 'Not something that should be multi-tasked while you're on the phone. 'Same goes for anytime that you handle the firearm. Done properly, it's a routine with over-lapping safety measures that ensure nothing ever goes bad.
    mprp likes this.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Guess it depends more on how much of a gun person you were before you start carry'n. Being raised shooting from 6 years old and being old enought that a shotgun or rifle was in the rear window of your truck even in high school by the time CC was legal to get it was nothing special except learn how to conceal what ever you desided to carry. Never owned a old school unsafe to carry chambered firearm so just allways had a round in the chamber it seems. Atleast with handguns. Long guns where un-chambered till in the woods hunting. 26 years of CC'n could make some of the first times a little foggy maybe. I now get to watch my children learn about CC'n but they like myself started started shooting at a young age and seem comfortable around firearms and take to even new to them firearms way easier than some newbes to firearms seem to do.

After about a year of CCing the thrill is gone. The trips to the mail box all pumped up "will it be here today" I will never forget. It is just a part of leaving the house now. I am aware that I have a firearm, and it is a bit of comfort at the same time I think of the responsibility. All in all it is a wonderful right that I waited a long time for here in Wisconsin.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    [QUOTE=tacman605;2458299]The "thrill" will not last long then it becomes routine, then mundane and sometimes a pain in the butt.

QUOTE]

Thats well said... ^

For me the thrill as you put it was VERY quickly replaced with the sense of added responsiblity.

I really appreciate all the responses, guys. Perhaps "thrill" wasn't the proper term to use as it attaches the idea that this is all for fun and enjoyment. It was the only word that came to mind that encapsulated a feeling of both incredible liberation and enormous responsibility and awareness. And I'm approaching this whole process with the upmost respect for the firearm and the safety of myself and others. I'm a business owner, father, and husband. In other words, I have EVERYTHING to lose should I act on poor judgement or simply let my guard down. Still, even though I've been around guns my entire life and have been trained on how to properly shoot and handle, the idea of carrying on my person every day is very foreign. I know that I will be on sensory overload for a while. I guess that's why the term "thrill" came to mind.
    maxwell97 and ShooterGranny like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    The answer (IMHO) is less about concealed carry and more about human psychology. When I was a kid I would sit on the bathroom counter & talk with my Dad early in the morning while he shaved. I was intrigued by the whole process, the steam, the smell & even the unique sounds made by his double-edged razor cutting his heavy beard. As an early teen I watched every whisker growing on my face anxious to enjoy this male ritual. But once I began, just like the rest of us, my shaving quickly became no more than another required task. No thrill, no intrigue, just a little precision under my nose & around my Adam's Apple. That's the way I see concealed carry. You can hurt yourself (badly) if you're inattentive, but it's just something I choose to do.
    Well spoken. It is very much the psychology of it all that I'm trying to get a read on from the other members here.

I never felt a thrill about CCing. More than anything, I became more aware of my surroundings and ALWAYS felt the crucial sense of responsiblity that should go with carrying (open or concealed). Those feelings have never gone away. The day I don't feel those two things is the day I need to stop carrying.
    mg27 and Firearm.Fan.Girl like this.

It'll become routine faster than you think.

And in short time any time that you have to go without your gun you will feel naked without it.
    mg27 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    I thought it was a thrill until I very quickly realized how much responsibility I had taken.

Honestly? It would suit me fine if I DIDN'T think concealed carry was required. And as long as I'm wishing, I wish my woodpile would fill itself without me ever touching a chainsaw & a splitting maul. I wish my truck ran on my love for my grandkids. And I wish I still enjoyed the company of every dog I've ever owned.

But like work & gas & mortality, handgun carry isn't the thrill or the swagger, it's just an unfortunate necessity.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links