How long does the thrill last?

This is a discussion on How long does the thrill last? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would change the "thrill" to more of a "relief" that I could actually legally carry a loaded firearm in public for the defense of ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: How long does the thrill last?

I would change the "thrill" to more of a "relief" that I could actually legally carry a loaded firearm in public for the defense of myself or my family. Adding to what a few others have said regarding complacency, you also don't want to pretend that your shiny new license is carte blanche for going to places that you would normally consider risky, like an ATM machine in a bad neighborhood at 11:00 pm. and so on. Avoidance will get you out of more situations than your firearm ever will.

When my interview for getting my CCW was over our conversation went pretty close to this: I told the issuing officer that I probably wouldn't carry it for a couple of months or so. He got this perplexed look on his face and said, "Why?" With a smile on my face, I told him that it would probably be my luck that this would be the day that I got robbed while having to get gas on my way home from here.

Judge: "So Mr. mprp, how long did you have your CCW when this took place?"

mprp: "Uh, well Your Honor, about 18 minutes."

He chuckled and then looked at me with a pretty serious look on his face and said, "No, you carry that damn thing with you everywhere you go starting today."

So the "thrill" is pretty much gone for me because I'm under a direct order.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

2. Remove Ads

To the OP...try turning your "thrill" and your "excitement" into a "thirst"...A thirst for knowledge...A thirst for knowing the law, how the law can be applied in certain situations. Knowing your weapon, why you chose it, mastering it's use to the utmost of your ability. Know your carry options, why you chose them, the pros and cons of your decision. Know the great responsibility which is on your shoulders...Responsibility for yourself, your family, perhaps others based on your choice to carry. Know what Situational Awareness is, the various levels, why it works, what is necessary for you to hone and refine yours. Know, that in an emergency/critical situation, you will default to the highest level of training which you have "mastered". Know what will affect your reactions and how they affect them.

I could go on and on and on. Once you've embarked on the journey, you can choose to just "be satisfied" or you can choose to "quench your thirst" and learn/achieve as much as possible so that your "thrill and excitement", which hopefully you turn into a "thirst", will now become a "comfort", each and everytime you "weapon up"...Train Sir! TRAIN SOME MORE SIR! Never stop learning and training. JMO
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

never been a thrill to me. just a restored right since wisconsin passed it ccw. putting my gun on is just like putting my keys and wallet in my pocket.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Throughout my journey to my CCW, my feelings ranged from excitement, to anxiety, and finally peace. The excitement of the learning and receiving my license was soon replaced by the terror and anxiety of the reality of carrying a deadly weapon. I spent many weeks carrying my unloaded P238 (cocked and locked) around my home, even "trying" to make the unloaded gun accidentally "go off." After I realized that couldn't happen, I finally overcame my fears and began carrying "live." The first few times I carried in public were very short trips (gas station, coffee shop, pizza carryout) until I overcame the anxiety of my newly acquired awareness and responsibility. After just a couple weeks, I've found that anxiety replaced by a sort of peace.

I'm generally a very passive type of person, but knowing I can also become the most dangerous person in the room (God forbid a situation arise) is a truly comforting feeling.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Administrator
    I'm not sure exactly when strapping on my daily carry firearm became about as exhilarating as putting on a clean pair of socks...but, at some past point in time that did happen.

Not long

Only been carrying a couple weeks. Keep in mind I am in Texas so printing isn't an issue, but I almost immediately realized I wasn't nervous about it, and didn't care if others notice. That's not to say I was reckless about people seeing.

Did go without one in the chamber until one day a feeling almost like being naked in public came over. Chambered a round at the next opportunity and haven't looked back.

How long does the thrill last?

About 1-5 weeks depending on your personality.

Quite honestly my carry pieces feel like a cell phone now.

I do enjoy debating with myself as to which gun and holster I should strap on every day though :)

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Within a year, you mostly won't even think about it while you're wearing it.. but you're always aware that it's there.

you know I couldn't resist...

I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Like many others here, never got a "thrill" out of carrying a deadly firearm. In fact I feel more of a solemn responsibility to try to keep the arm secure, and avoid using it if at all possible.
    I was uncomfortable at first but after a while the anxiety lessons, but its still a serious business.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Within a year, you mostly won't even think about it while you're wearing it.. but you're always aware that it's there.

you know I couldn't resist...

I love BB King. Got a chance to see him several years ago. He doesn't play as much as he used to. He breaks up his show with a lot of talking, but he talks about what's really important in life. He kept it entertaining, but got his points across about some things he had to learn the hard way. And even at his advanced years he could still play ol' Lucille like she was meant to be played. I've heard that he doesn't play much any more. He's in semi-retirement. At 88 years old, he's earned it. I have a feeling he will never completely retire. He'll keep playing till the day he dies. Just an incredible musician and entertainer, and an incredible man.
    GlassWolf likes this.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I have been carrying since 1957 and it was never a thrill it has always been a necessity for me no need to say more !

As to the "thrill" of carrying, I don't know if I ever experienced it myself. When I first started carrying I felt a little anxious about it. In time carrying has become something I just do as part of getting dressed for the day. When I'm not carrying I almost feel naked. I do still feel the awesome responsibility I have to carry safely, I just don't feel anxious about it any more. On the other hand, I do feel anxious when I'm not carrying.

Ive been carrying since the first quarter of the year... After a while, I gets to be meh. I force myself to carry a bigger gun whenever possible, but lots of times I just go with the simple idea of sticking my Ruger LCP in my pocket. Obviously, its better to carry my Glock 17 with 18rds ready to go, but 7rds of .380 is better than nothing. Get a few different guns for different types of carry. Sometimes, instead of not taking your full or mid size gun, you will just go without if you have an excuse as to why it isnt a big deal... Thats when I decided I needed a little micro .380. When I was out and about today, I carried my 17. Later on, I was just hanging out at a friends house playing some games, and just decided to have my Ruger in my pocket. I dont think I need a full-size duty weapon to play GTA5.

Anyway, my friend just started carrying a few weeks back. Average height, and skinny as a rail. He carries his G19 OWB and it generally prints pretty bad anytime he moves at all, but he wont listen. He is still on the "Id never carry anything smaller" kick, because he just got his permit and wants to feel like rambo. When youre 5'9 and 130lbs, a G19 is a pretty massive gun for him. Im 6'5 300lbs, and the G17 looks like 1/4 the gun on me as the G19 does on him. I think he will finally break down when the thrill is up.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    A lot of that depends on how you carry the firearm, too. I'm about the same build as your friend, though a bit shorter at 5'6" and 115lbs or so. I EDC a Walther PPQ, and it doesn't print at all,. I use a hybrid holster at 4 o'clock. I don't think it's al issue with the Glock being "big" so much as that stick of butter shaped slide it has. All square edges. I saw a pic of a G19 with the grip cut down to that of a G26, and it was pretty neat. Anyway, thickness plays a part in concealment for a handgun, but I think the length of the grip with mag is the biggest factor in hiding a gun. Barrel or slide length doesn't seem to affect much.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I get the thrill going through the process of choosing and getting a new gun. Once it's on my belt, it's all business, no thrill. I don't even get the thrill of freedom. I am just grateful I now have the tools to defend myself.
    Carpe Diem

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links