How important is it to carry a spare magazine?

This is a discussion on How important is it to carry a spare magazine? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two is one, one is none....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: How important is it to carry a spare magazine?

Two is one, one is none.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

I don't carry an extra mag because if 17 rounds are not enough I don't think another magazine is going to help. In most self defense situations 1 to 3 rounds is all it takes.

The spare mag isn't mainly for rounds, it's for a magazine failure. YMMV
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Never carry an extra mag unless I'm on duty. Opinions will vary, and that's all they are. Make your own choice based on what you think.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I always carry an extra mag or two for all the reasons already cited. Primary reason is in case of malfunction, but I also like the additional rounds...don't know why...

I carry one extra mag on my double stack pistols and I carry 2 extra mags for my single stack pistols.

When you get down to it, the primary reason for carrying a gun is to survive a gunfight, (or any serious attack that threatens your life...). Once the attack starts, I would just as soon have more ammo than I need.

Carry as much ammo as you can reasonably conceal on your person. That said, I usually carry at least one extra 15 round mag with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    ...oshkosh is a not a "gun battle" kind of city.
    That's EXACTLY what the Oshkosh underworld bosses WANT you to believe. The Fly-In is really a worldwide gathering of Criminal Geniuses! Beeeee CAREFUL!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I stand corrected Magazine not clip ( Thank you)

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soccerfly View Post
    I stand corrected Magazine not clip ( Thank you)
    Ive heard this go around and around.... Some manufactures have cataloged there firearms as "Clip Fed". Usally the people fighting over this are old military types who cant change with the times. Either is apropriate. DR

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xoolo View Post
    bullet tips facing forward, week side
    Why Bullet tips facing forward? Enquiring minds need to know. DR

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Why Bullet tips facing forward? Enquiring minds need to know. DR
    This is also how I carry my spare magazine, for me it makes a more fluent motion when retrieving the magazine from the holder and inserting it into the pistol.

Pretty much agree with most others. I really am not that concerned about extra ammo. I am concerned about mag failure which is by far the greatest cause of malfunctions.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    If the time would ever come you would need your carry gun to defend yourself, you sure won't be kicking yourself for bringing along extra ammo.........

I agree with all of you about the need of a spare magazine, thanks for the great points that were made especially the comparison of it kinda being like leaving home with clean underwear in case you get in an accident. That comparison really seemed to drive the point home for my wife :D

I also agree with the fact that it should be worn on the weak side, that is also how I prefer to carry my spare magazines. It really seems to help balance me out with the heavy gun on the strong side, and not only that but your weak hand would be the one to retrieve the mag in a time of need so it just makes sense.

But getting my wife to wear more gear like mag holders is unlikely, so I figured if it's on the holster itself she would be more inclined to throw a spare mag in there. And also the Bodyguard 6 round mag is very lightweight it almost makes no difference as far as added weight.

Thanks for your input guys I appreciate it very much,
    Chris-gNg

Speaking of magazine malfunctions. I decided to get my wife's BG380 ready for her CPL class coming up on the 1st by field stripping and cleaning her brand new pistol I tried the extra magazine that came with my wife's BG380 and wouldn't you know it, it isn't properly functioning. The mag wouldn't seat all the way in the pistol without forcing it. The other mag goes right in no problem. I tried to cycle a few rounds threw the faulty one and it jammed up. Needless to say I'm sending it back to S&W for an exchange, but unfortunately she will only have one magazine for her range time during her class. But this really proved my point to her that you can't always count on that "one" magazine to perform each and every time hence the need for a spare or TWO!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links