How important is it to carry a spare magazine?

This is a discussion on How important is it to carry a spare magazine? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just carry my spare mag (G19) in my front left pocket. It felt bulky for a month or so, but now I never notice ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: How important is it to carry a spare magazine?

I just carry my spare mag (G19) in my front left pocket. It felt bulky for a month or so, but now I never notice it.

I've tried IWB mag holders, but never found one that worked for me.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Ive heard this go around and around.... Some manufactures have cataloged there firearms as "Clip Fed". Usally the people fighting over this are old military types who cant change with the times. Either is apropriate. DR
    clips are ejected when last round fired, inserted internally. There is a difference. Bullet tip forward is also a military tradition, makes reloads smoother.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

During my daily routine, If I'm carrying a single stack (6-7rnds) I'll carry 2 spare mags on my person. If I'm carrying a double stack (15-17rnds) I usually don't carry a spare on me. Though I always carry 2 spare mags for whatever I'm carrying, in my bag, which is never more than a few feet away from me.

If I have to go somewhere that I feel I'll have to be condition Orange I'll carry a doublestack with 2 spares on me.

Bullets forward, in a low cut polymer pouch, so that I can grab it between my thumb, middle and ring finger, with my index finger along the front of the mag, it makes it natural to "point" and guide the mag into the magwell.

In my opinion it is just as important as carrying the gun in the first place.

Any gun can malfunction. With semi-auto pistols, it is frequently a magazine issue with a malfunction occurs.

In a gunfight, I don't want to be the one killed for the lack of ability to shoot back.

That means, if I run out of bullets, I want the ability to insert more bullets. If my gun fails, I want the ability to rip out a possible bad magazine and insert a completely fresh one.

I will point out to you that everyone who spouts off facts and figures and probabilities and such dribble for not needing to carry a spare reload, all have one thing in common. They have likely never been involved in an actual gunfight. So take it for what it's worth.

Of the 6 or 7 people I have know who have actually been in a gunfight, not one has ever said, they wished they had a smaller caliber gun, or less ammo.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Of the 6 or 7 people I have know who have actually been in a gunfight, not one has ever said, they wished they had a smaller caliber gun, or less ammo.
    There are only 2 times you can have too much ammo:

If you're on fire

If you're drowning
    pittypat21 and miller_man like this.

Why Bullet tips facing forward? Enquiring minds need to know. DR
    So long as it's consistent and you train to use it that way, most any way should be fine.

Here is one perspective:

Reloading a Pistol in Critical Incidents - Youtube @ PersonalDefenseNetwork. Magazine positioning is discussed at ~1:15 in the video.

Here is another perspective: Horizontal Mag Carry.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    That's EXACTLY what the Oshkosh underworld bosses WANT you to believe. The Fly-In is really a worldwide gathering of Criminal Geniuses! Beeeee CAREFUL!
    um yeah. i don't go anywhere near the southside of oshkosh that week. our population increases by about 500%.

i guess they were posted this year since ccw passed in wisconsin...
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

I am with CCW9MM on this one. I carry an extra magazine because there is the potential for malfunction and the extra 8+ rounds are a bonus in case of the zombie apocalypse! MY EDC has not malfunctioned due to magazine but as with a lot of things in my life I prefer a backup.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Well let's just say that if I could carry a box of ammo around with me along with a couple spare mags, I would.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I always carry a spare mag for my semi's, or two speed strips when carrying one of my revolvers. You never know when you may need to reload, either due to a malfunction (more likely) or running out of ammo (less likely but possible).

The only spare magazine worth carrying...
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Ive heard this go around and around.... Some manufactures have cataloged there firearms as "Clip Fed". Usally the people fighting over this are old military types who cant change with the times. Either is apropriate. DR
    actually its only appropriate if you don't mind coming off as the newbie that just go his first Hi-Point. Nothing shows lack of experience and firearms knowledge like calling a freaking magazine a clip....nothing.
    ....and I've never been in the Military and yes, we all know what you mean, and no the terms magazine and clip are NOT interchangeable.
    OD*, Freedom Doc and Aceoky like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    actually its only appropriate if you don't mind coming off as the newbie that just go his first Hi-Point. Nothing shows lack of experience and firearms knowledge like calling a freaking magazine a clip....nothing.
    ....and I've never been in the Military and yes, we all know what you mean, and no the terms magazine and clip are NOT interchangeable.
    Does it really matter?
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

If you are fortunate enough to never have to draw your weapon and fire it in self defense, not very. If you are not that fortunate your life may depend on it.

So really, what does it cost you carry one? What might it cost you if you don't.
    Personal choice and acceptable risk. Only you can decide.
    oneshot likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

It's only important if you need it....then it is critical.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links