How important is it to carry a spare magazine?

This is a discussion on How important is it to carry a spare magazine? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by zonker1986 actually its only appropriate if you don't mind coming off as the newbie that just go his first Hi-Point. Nothing shows ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: How important is it to carry a spare magazine?

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    actually its only appropriate if you don't mind coming off as the newbie that just go his first Hi-Point. Nothing shows lack of experience and firearms knowledge like calling a freaking magazine a clip....nothing.
    ....and I've never been in the Military and yes, we all know what you mean, and no the terms magazine and clip are NOT interchangeable.
    Lets see what Webster has to say about it.

Clip - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Noun also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    So long as it's consistent and you train to use it that way, most any way should be fine.

Here is one perspective:

Reloading a Pistol in Critical Incidents - Youtube @ PersonalDefenseNetwork. Magazine positioning is discussed at ~1:15 in the video.

Here is another perspective: Horizontal Mag Carry.
    I agree with being consistent,

I hate how some of the manufactures send the spare mag pouch with the mags pointed in opposite directions.

For me when I grab one of the spare mags during a reload I put my index finger at the tip of the bullet. having them facing forward keeps them in that position as to help guide it to the mag well with out having to look down at the mag. It really just becomes muscle memory.

I carry 2 spare mags on duty. 46 rounds total on my belt.

I do not carry a spare mag off duty. My thought process is this:

On duty, I am more likely to use my pistol in an agressive manner. As in, active shooter, apprehending an agressor, shooting back and winning the gunfight. I have my vest, my car, and my radio. the expectation is that I "run into the fight." To help others.

Off duty, I will only use my pistol in a defensive manner or to diffuse a deadly situation if i have the ability to do so. Off duty im more likely to use the pistol to defend life but im not going to run into the fight with my vest and my radio. If i find myself in the middle of a gunfight then i have my pistol.

Most shootings in public places have few rounds fired. Not counting active shooter situations.

Make sure you know the laws in your area regarding the difference between using a weapon to defend your own life vs the life of others. When the jury hears that you dipped into a second magazine and then pursued and killed the assailant vs diffusing the situation you might just evaluate the totality of it all.

A split second decision with a lifetime of ridicule.

But..... As an LEO I truly appreciate a legally armed public.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

Quote Originally Posted by xoolo View Post
    I hate how some of the manufactures send the spare mag pouch with the mags pointed in opposite directions.
    I've never seen that.

On nearly every mag pouch/holster I have ever seen, it's been bullets forward. I inquired about it once, to a builder, and he strongly advised to keep it that way, though he could make it either way.

For me when I grab one of the spare mags during a reload I put my index finger at the tip of the bullet. having them facing forward keeps them in that position as to help guide it to the mag well with out having to look down at the mag. It really just becomes muscle memory.
    Yup.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I progressed from carryinhg a 2 shot derringer to a p-32 and cannot imagine the need for carrying an extra magazine. Does anyone know anyone or read about anyone who was in a defensive gunfight who needed an extra magazine? Leo's and soldiers only play offense and need all the ammo they can carry.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    actually its only appropriate if you don't mind coming off as the newbie that just go his first Hi-Point. Nothing shows lack of experience and firearms knowledge like calling a freaking magazine a clip....nothing.
    ....and I've never been in the Military and yes, we all know what you mean, and no the terms magazine and clip are NOT interchangeable.
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their correct names.
    ~Chinese Proverb.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    clips are ejected when last round fired, inserted internally. There is a difference. Bullet tip forward is also a military tradition, makes reloads smoother.
    I've got a clip on my magazine carrier. Or is it a magazine on my clip carrier? Confusing. Which reminds me - I have a magazine subscription that needs renewing.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

The new Xd s come to mind. they send you with the gun, mags, holster etc.

SpringfieldXD.40subc.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I've never seen that.

On nearly every mag pouch/holster I have ever seen, it's been bullets forward. I inquired about it once, to a builder, and he strongly advised to keep it that way, though he could make it either way.

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikemobile View Post
    I do not carry a spare mag off duty. My thought process is this:

On duty, I am more likely to use my pistol in an agressive manner. As in, active shooter, apprehending an agressor ...

Off duty, I will only use my pistol in a defensive manner or to diffuse a deadly situation if i have the ability to do so.
    And yet, that same weapon has an equal chance of failure due to mags/ammo in either situation, irrespective of use. Doesn't it?
    oneshot likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    I always carry at least one spare magazine for not only more ammo but also in case of a malfunction. My Wife is new to carrying her pistol and I'm trying to explain to her the importance of carrying at least one spare mag. Do you guys have any input on this subject?

Also we are getting ready to order her a IWB Remora Holster the "Original" and trying to decide if we should get the spare magazine compartment modification for no additional charge. What would be the pros and cons in your opinion?

Thanks,
    Chris
    I don't carry an extra load. It's a choice you (or your wife) have to make for yourselves.

I can't comment on the Remora Holsters since I don't own one.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Lets see what Webster has to say about it.

Clip - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Noun also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm
    the second thing to show that you are a newbie is to have to look up the difference between magazine and clip in Websters.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

How important ? Its important for good measures, "you never know"...Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    I don't carry an extra load. It's a choice you (or your wife) have to make for yourselves.

I can't comment on the Remora Holsters since I don't own one.
    My position as well. If I'm in a situation where I need more than 17 rounds, then I have made a grave tactical error in being there in the first place.

BTW - I DO have an extra magazine in my car, just in case!

Oh yeah, all my cartridges face forward, so the bullets come out of the right end of the weapon.
    Sarge65 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    I always carry at least one spare magazine for not only more ammo but also in case of a malfunction. My Wife is new to carrying her pistol and I'm trying to explain to her the importance of carrying at least one spare mag. Do you guys have any input on this subject?

Also we are getting ready to order her a IWB Remora Holster the "Original" and trying to decide if we should get the spare magazine compartment modification for no additional charge. What would be the pros and cons in your opinion?

Thanks,
    Chris
    I think you pretty much have given the best reasons. I carry a spare mag for my Glock 30 in a Remora mag holder. I opted for a separate mag holder because I don't think the Glock 30 holster has the option of an attached mag compartment. I also like to carry the spare mag in my pocket and the Remora keeps it ready and dust-free.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

How important is it to carry a spare magazine?

To me not at all.......... If I were to start carring something else it would be a flashlight way before an extra mag.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links