How important is it to carry a spare magazine?

This is a discussion on How important is it to carry a spare magazine? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mulle46 The spare mag isn't mainly for rounds, it's for a magazine failure. YMMV jj I'm not against carrying an extra mag, ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: How important is it to carry a spare magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    The spare mag isn't mainly for rounds, it's for a magazine failure. YMMV
    jj

I'm not against carrying an extra mag, but how many people think about this: a mag failure (for most people with quality mags) is probably about as rare as a revolver failure. There are more moving parts in a revolver than in a magazine anyway. If a revolver has 6 rounds, and a mag in a pistol has 16 rounds, seems like the person with the revolver should be carrying an extra revolver.

But again, I see nothing wrong with carrying an extra mag. Most probably carry it for extra rounds, not because they have had mags fail before. (unless they have really bad mags or just bad luck with good mags)

2. Remove Ads

There are active shooting scenarios where a BUG that can be quickly accessed is more of an asset than an extra magazine.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

Very important if you exhaust your first one.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Extra mag just in case. Yes.
    Looking back to the off duty LEO his slipping into "cop mode" got the kid killed. It wasn't a SD situation as he had not been confronted. He reacted to his training. As a LEO his mindset made him react & I suspect he would have been in a catch 22 if he had not reacted. As Joe Citizen with a CHL it was not a SD situation and we are not in the crime prevention business. Sensei told me years ago , " Your best weapon is your feet taking you to safety." JMHO.
    BTW, in a shooting my way to safety drill last Sunday I popped off 10 rounds in about 5 seconds getting to cover. That left 5 rounds to seal the deal. Not a position I would really care to be in. In a dry fire practice. I change mags behind cover then reaquire the target. Now I need a moving target to practice against.
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds dearly the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    and if the failure is from magazine, like a post where the bottom fell out? No amount of muscle memory is going to help in that case without a spare magazine. That said, I also sometimes don't carry a spare mag when off duty, as I get tired of the weight of a duty belt. But I do tend to carry a spare more often than not.
    Broken magazine. Thats a legit fear. Ive never had it happen to ME.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Interesting statement...I'd appreciate any reference material you can provide to support your statement...

Us "old military types" are always open to an education from the up and coming young whippersnappers.....

Just remember, it's the "old Military types" along with the "current" military types that allow you to profess the great knowledge which you've accumulated...

I eagerly await your reply Junior...

Aww...what the heck...let me help you out a lil bit as i fear "Websters" has confused what little knowledge you may have thought you had....

Magazine (firearms) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Difference Between a Magazine and a Clip - YouTube

You're welcom DR...
    From your own Wikipedia source... The detachable magazine is often referred to as a "Clip". See their foot notes 1 and 2 as sources. Careful with the winks the word "clip " used to refer to sexual orientation!
    I'm not picking on the old military types here. It just seems that they are the most militant about the usage of the word clip. And just as likely to use other slang words in other ways. Car, Truck, Gas Station, ETC ... are not the proper names for things common to our everyday lives.
    I'm also not new or even a young guy. I'm within a couple of years of retirement [ and would be now if my 401K wasn't in the tank!] I have a couple of M1 Garands, so I'm well versed in what an en-bloc clip is and how they work. I just get tired of seeing others jump all over the newbies at every chance they get! It shows us all in a bad light. DR
    So why go overboard on the word clip? Or is it just to be able to point out someone as a newbie?
    Snub44 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    BTW, in a shooting my way to safety drill last Sunday I popped off 10 rounds in about 5 seconds getting to cover. That left 5 rounds to seal the deal. Not a position I would really care to be in. In a dry fire practice. I change mags behind cover then reaquire the target. Now I need a moving target to practice against.
    I don't mean this to criticize you specifically since I don't know in what context that type of "run-and-gun" is meant to be used, but IIRC in a recent shooting in NYC a slew of bystanders were hit. Turns out all were shot by the police. Initially I thought this was astounding, but maybe they have similar training. Even as a hunter growing up I was taught that every bullet would land somewhere, but that reality doesn't seem to be obvious to those training some PDs nowadays.

I've never been in combat, thankfully. When I carry I almost always have a spare magazine, but mostly that's force of habit and because my two primary carry rigs are set up that way. If I carry my BHP in the Miami Classic I have two extra mags, partly because that balances the gun. It seems prudent to have an extra mag but I wouldn't feel helpless with just the 14 rounds in the gun. I hope those carrying extra mags practice reloading under stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Pretty much agree with most others. I really am not that concerned about extra ammo. I am concerned about mag failure which is by far the greatest cause of malfunctions.
    I concur. That is why I always carry two spare magazines.
    “Well, I'm all broken up over that man's rights!” - Harry Callahan

with an LC9 as EDC...I will be carrying the extra Mag...for the extra Rounds..I don't me having more than 1 extra mag. If I need more than 2 mags I've already lost or I should have been at the range instead of reading this forum. IMO...

P.S. A knife never runs out of ammo unless you out of shape...lol

The weakest part of an auto loader is the magazine, if not for extra ammo, carry one for reliability... Just in case one mag jams or fails reliability during a need situation.

...sent from my mind, using telepathy!

Very important. Most issues with auto loaders at mag issues.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bikemobile View Post
    Broken magazine. Thats a legit fear. Ive never had it happen to ME.
    neither have I, but I don't want it to happen the one time I truly need it. Thats why I carry a spare more than I dont
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by romansten9 View Post
    jj

I'm not against carrying an extra mag, but how many people think about this: a mag failure (for most people with quality mags) is probably about as rare as a revolver failure. There are more moving parts in a revolver than in a magazine anyway. If a revolver has 6 rounds, and a mag in a pistol has 16 rounds, seems like the person with the revolver should be carrying an extra revolver.

But again, I see nothing wrong with carrying an extra mag. Most probably carry it for extra rounds, not because they have had mags fail before. (unless they have really bad mags or just bad luck with good mags)
    i don't carry a spare mag because I have had mag failure before, or for extra rounds, I carry it because its better to have it and not need it,than need it and not have it. About a revolver failing, I have heard far more stories about magazine failures than a revolver failure.
    guitarzNgunz and Snub44 like this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Cool Carrying extra ammo is paramount for surviving an attack

I carry a two-pack quick loader on my left side for my .38SPL. Sometimes, I'll strap on my .22 Mag revolver along with my .38. Either way, having extra ammo for each is definitely a must, just in case one does come into conflict and wind up high & dry. One needs to be prepared for the worst but hope for the best to happen, because you never know how the gun fight will turn out.

When you realize your weapon(s) are out of ammo, you have two choices: you either find something else as a weapon (as in hand-to-hand combat) or run & hide while looking for a defensive position or for a better offensive tactical advantage. It's that or die, because the criminal is not in the business of handing out compassion and giving people a break. They're main objective is to steal; in doing so, they will torture, ravish, and/or kill whoever gets in their way. That's why I am armed... to protect myself and/or my wife who cannot physically do things for herself... much less defend herself in that time of need.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by llmstratocaster View Post
    I'm pretty green to CC so I can't really add much here. It would be interesting to know how many CC'ers were involved in situations where an extra mag was needed.
    So what you are speaking of is "odds"; that is, what is the probability of needing a spare mag?
    But in asking that, you should just ask what are the odds of needing a gun in the first place.
    It really isn't about odds; it is about having the ability to survive when the stuff starts hitting the fan. In that case,
    a spare mag mainly helps in case Murphy has caused a mag failure, and you are experienced enough to handle that.
    As for me, I always carry a spare mag, on the weak side in an IWB mag holster.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links