Defensive Carry banner

How important is it to carry a spare magazine?

9K views 93 replies 64 participants last post by  Popeye5782 
#1 ·
I always carry at least one spare magazine for not only more ammo but also in case of a malfunction. My Wife is new to carrying her pistol and I'm trying to explain to her the importance of carrying at least one spare mag. Do you guys have any input on this subject?

Also we are getting ready to order her a IWB Remora Holster the "Original" and trying to decide if we should get the spare magazine compartment modification for no additional charge. What would be the pros and cons in your opinion?

Thanks,
Chris

Reactions: aus71383
#33 ·
During my daily routine, If I'm carrying a single stack (6-7rnds) I'll carry 2 spare mags on my person. If I'm carrying a double stack (15-17rnds) I usually don't carry a spare on me. Though I always carry 2 spare mags for whatever I'm carrying, in my bag, which is never more than a few feet away from me.

If I have to go somewhere that I feel I'll have to be condition Orange I'll carry a doublestack with 2 spares on me.

Bullets forward, in a low cut polymer pouch, so that I can grab it between my thumb, middle and ring finger, with my index finger along the front of the mag, it makes it natural to "point" and guide the mag into the magwell.

#34 ·

In my opinion it is just as important as carrying the gun in the first place.

Any gun can malfunction. With semi-auto pistols, it is frequently a magazine issue with a malfunction occurs.

In a gunfight, I don't want to be the one killed for the lack of ability to shoot back.

That means, if I run out of bullets, I want the ability to insert more bullets. If my gun fails, I want the ability to rip out a possible bad magazine and insert a completely fresh one.

I will point out to you that everyone who spouts off facts and figures and probabilities and such dribble for not needing to carry a spare reload, all have one thing in common. They have likely never been involved in an actual gunfight. So take it for what it's worth.

Of the 6 or 7 people I have know who have actually been in a gunfight, not one has ever said, they wished they had a smaller caliber gun, or less ammo.

#38 ·
I am with CCW9MM on this one. I carry an extra magazine because there is the potential for malfunction and the extra 8+ rounds are a bonus in case of the zombie apocalypse! MY EDC has not malfunctioned due to magazine but as with a lot of things in my life I prefer a backup.

#41 ·
The only spare magazine worth carrying... :yup:
Magazine Poster Scout Soldier Girl scouts of the usa

#44 ·
If you are fortunate enough to never have to draw your weapon and fire it in self defense, not very. If you are not that fortunate your life may depend on it.

So really, what does it cost you carry one? What might it cost you if you don't.
Personal choice and acceptable risk. Only you can decide.

#48 ·
I carry 2 spare mags on duty. 46 rounds total on my belt.

I do not carry a spare mag off duty. My thought process is this:

On duty, I am more likely to use my pistol in an agressive manner. As in, active shooter, apprehending an agressor, shooting back and winning the gunfight. I have my vest, my car, and my radio. the expectation is that I "run into the fight." To help others.

Off duty, I will only use my pistol in a defensive manner or to diffuse a deadly situation if i have the ability to do so. Off duty im more likely to use the pistol to defend life but im not going to run into the fight with my vest and my radio. If i find myself in the middle of a gunfight then i have my pistol.

Most shootings in public places have few rounds fired. Not counting active shooter situations.

Make sure you know the laws in your area regarding the difference between using a weapon to defend your own life vs the life of others. When the jury hears that you dipped into a second magazine and then pursued and killed the assailant vs diffusing the situation you might just evaluate the totality of it all.

A split second decision with a lifetime of ridicule.

But..... As an LEO I truly appreciate a legally armed public.

#54 ·
I do not carry a spare mag off duty. My thought process is this:

On duty, I am more likely to use my pistol in an agressive manner. As in, active shooter, apprehending an agressor ...

Off duty, I will only use my pistol in a defensive manner or to diffuse a deadly situation if i have the ability to do so.
And yet, that same weapon has an equal chance of failure due to mags/ammo in either situation, irrespective of use. Doesn't it?

#50 ·
I progressed from carryinhg a 2 shot derringer to a p-32 and cannot imagine the need for carrying an extra magazine. Does anyone know anyone or read about anyone who was in a defensive gunfight who needed an extra magazine? Leo's and soldiers only play offense and need all the ammo they can carry.

#58 ·
My position as well. If I'm in a situation where I need more than 17 rounds, then I have made a grave tactical error in being there in the first place.

BTW - I DO have an extra magazine in my car, just in case! :image035:

Oh yeah, all my cartridges face forward, so the bullets come out of the right end of the weapon. :tongue:

Reactions: Sarge65
#59 ·
I think you pretty much have given the best reasons. I carry a spare mag for my Glock 30 in a Remora mag holder. I opted for a separate mag holder because I don't think the Glock 30 holster has the option of an attached mag compartment. I also like to carry the spare mag in my pocket and the Remora keeps it ready and dust-free.

#60 ·

To me not at all.......... If I were to start carring something else it would be a flashlight way before an extra mag.

#61 ·
One time I was a RSO for an action pistol shoot (similar to IDPA) and when my shooter started his course of fire, the base plate of his Glock 19 fell out and dumped all his unspent rounds on the deck. He had a one shot gun at that point. Good thing he had a spare mag. I always carry a spare mag, especially after witnessing that.

#64 ·
It seems to me that a backup gun may be more effective than a spare mag in a self defense situation. If you have a malfunction with your primary, you can access s secondary gun quicker than you can clear and combat reload your primary.

What if your secondary malfunctionsthen you need a third gun. You need two cell phones also just in case. I carry 3 spare tires in my car, hey you never know. You need at least 5 knives also. Oh and make sure the magazine for your primary fits in your secondary just in case. You also need to fire 2000 rounds at a minimum through your primary and secondary to ensure thst you will not have any failures with your carry ammo.

Carry a spare mag if you want. I dont and i said why.

#66 ·
You obviously struggle with rational thought.

Too each their own.

#65 ·
I would carry a spare Mag but it will not fit the revolver .
Jokes a side If I lived in a area so bad I need to pack like an infantry soldier I would move.
Your right to do as you see fit but IMO if I use what I have in the weapon.
1. It is over and I own
2. It is over and I lost
It is about SD not a gun fight.

#68 ·
Used to be I didn't cary a spare mag because I didn't like packing around the extra weight ( No rude comments please - I 'm aware that is a rediculous reason. I plead laziness and poor character! ) But I have had magazines malfunction and turn my gun into a fishing weight. Not often, but is has happened. I agree with those who do carry the extra mag and a small but powerfull flashlight. A backup gun ( for the reason Bikemobile stated ) sounds sensible to me too, in leiu of the spare mag. I have a friend who carries a Glock 19, spare mag, backup S&W 638, knife and flashlight all the time. If he ever falls into deep water he is sure to drown, but we will be able to find his body with a metal detector.

#69 ·
Lessons from a Fatal Shootout in a Crowded McDonald

I urge anyone who feels they have no need for a reload to read the linked article.

People don't always drop when they're shot. Sometimes they don't do anything. You may have no clue if you've even hit them. We may all like to think we will calmly stand there puffing our chest out and line up a perfectly centered head shot if that happens. I'm willing to bet, most of us will instead keep shooting. You should not underestimate how quickly you will empty a mag if this happens.

Just drop all the YMMV, "it's personal preference " and dumb "if 17 rounds ain't enough then it was Allah's will " rationalizing and carry a spare mag. You can't go wrong doing so
You can go very wrong not doing so.

Thanks.

Btw, I was googling for this particular after action account and the linked site is where I happened to find it. Just ignore the idiotic ad libs whoever's site that is threw in there. The off duty LEO involved was armed with a Glock 26 with a full size 17 mag as a spare.

#79 ·
Extra mag just in case. Yes.
Looking back to the off duty LEO his slipping into "cop mode" got the kid killed. It wasn't a SD situation as he had not been confronted. He reacted to his training. As a LEO his mindset made him react & I suspect he would have been in a catch 22 if he had not reacted. As Joe Citizen with a CHL it was not a SD situation and we are not in the crime prevention business. Sensei told me years ago , " Your best weapon is your feet taking you to safety." JMHO.
BTW, in a shooting my way to safety drill last Sunday I popped off 10 rounds in about 5 seconds getting to cover. That left 5 rounds to seal the deal. Not a position I would really care to be in. In a dry fire practice. I change mags behind cover then reaquire the target. Now I need a moving target to practice against.

#82 ·
BTW, in a shooting my way to safety drill last Sunday I popped off 10 rounds in about 5 seconds getting to cover. That left 5 rounds to seal the deal. Not a position I would really care to be in. In a dry fire practice. I change mags behind cover then reaquire the target. Now I need a moving target to practice against.
I don't mean this to criticize you specifically since I don't know in what context that type of "run-and-gun" is meant to be used, but IIRC in a recent shooting in NYC a slew of bystanders were hit. Turns out all were shot by the police. Initially I thought this was astounding, but maybe they have similar training. Even as a hunter growing up I was taught that every bullet would land somewhere, but that reality doesn't seem to be obvious to those training some PDs nowadays.

I've never been in combat, thankfully. When I carry I almost always have a spare magazine, but mostly that's force of habit and because my two primary carry rigs are set up that way. If I carry my BHP in the Miami Classic I have two extra mags, partly because that balances the gun. It seems prudent to have an extra mag but I wouldn't feel helpless with just the 14 rounds in the gun. I hope those carrying extra mags practice reloading under stress.

#84 ·
with an LC9 as EDC...I will be carrying the extra Mag...for the extra Rounds..I don't me having more than 1 extra mag. If I need more than 2 mags I've already lost or I should have been at the range instead of reading this forum. IMO...

P.S. A knife never runs out of ammo unless you out of shape...lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.