Defensive Carry banner

How important is it to carry a spare magazine?

9K views 93 replies 64 participants last post by  Popeye5782 
#1 ·
I always carry at least one spare magazine for not only more ammo but also in case of a malfunction. My Wife is new to carrying her pistol and I'm trying to explain to her the importance of carrying at least one spare mag. Do you guys have any input on this subject?

Also we are getting ready to order her a IWB Remora Holster the "Original" and trying to decide if we should get the spare magazine compartment modification for no additional charge. What would be the pros and cons in your opinion?

Thanks,
Chris

Reactions: aus71383
#89 ·
Carrying extra ammo is paramount for surviving an attack

I carry a two-pack quick loader on my left side for my .38SPL. Sometimes, I'll strap on my .22 Mag revolver along with my .38. Either way, having extra ammo for each is definitely a must, just in case one does come into conflict and wind up high & dry. One needs to be prepared for the worst but hope for the best to happen, because you never know how the gun fight will turn out.
:ahhhhh: :image035:
When you realize your weapon(s) are out of ammo, you have two choices: you either find something else as a weapon (as in hand-to-hand combat) or run & hide while looking for a defensive position or for a better offensive tactical advantage. It's that or die, because the criminal is not in the business of handing out compassion and giving people a break. They're main objective is to steal; in doing so, they will torture, ravish, and/or kill whoever gets in their way. That's why I am armed... to protect myself and/or my wife who cannot physically do things for herself... much less defend herself in that time of need. :yup:

#91 ·
Not only should you carry a spare mag, but practice at the range with it. On the last shot, your actions open and your left hand should be reaching for the spare mag while your right thumb is dropping the mag in the gun. Slap that spare in, hit the release and you have one chambered. You're ready to fire in seconds. It should be fluid through muscle memory.

Practice this a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.