Defensive Carry banner

How important is it to carry a spare magazine?

9K views 93 replies 64 participants last post by  Popeye5782 
#1 ·
I always carry at least one spare magazine for not only more ammo but also in case of a malfunction. My Wife is new to carrying her pistol and I'm trying to explain to her the importance of carrying at least one spare mag. Do you guys have any input on this subject?

Also we are getting ready to order her a IWB Remora Holster the "Original" and trying to decide if we should get the spare magazine compartment modification for no additional charge. What would be the pros and cons in your opinion?

Thanks,
Chris

Reactions: aus71383
#2 ·
Don't put the magazine holder and holster on the same side, typically you want your magazine holder on your weak side since you'll (hopefully) be holding your gun with your strong hand.

I'm not a fan of the Remora personally, and believe any holster leaving the home should have some sort of active retention other than friction to hold it in place. There are much better options out there, in my opinion. PJ Holster comes to mind... as well as a lot of others depending on your needs.

#62 ·
More important than "clean underwear in case you have a car wreck". It's light, cheap, unobtrusive insurance against Murphy showing up (you know, at the worst possible moment). As for Remora holsters, I own, use & like 'em. But mine does NOT have a mag pouch 'cause (IMHO) it's the wrong spot for it. My mag pouch stays on my off (left) side.
Ammo could run out if you end up needing to fire to defend yourself, sure.

But, IMO, the far more important element is: being able to recover from a magazine failure of some sort. Can't recover easily, if all you've got is the one magazine that's in the gun. Given the prevalence of mag/ammo related issues causing stoppages, it seems a fool's gambit to fail to have at least one spare magazine fully loaded and ready to use.

^YEP^^YEP^^^YEP^^AND^^^YEP

You want the spare mag on your opposite side.

Ask your wife is she drives around W/O a spare tire for her vehicle.

Does she also wonder why everyone normally has more than ONE pair of underwear, assuming one wears them?

How about a change of clothes?

Some questions have obvious answers once we think about them.

Welcome to the forum.

Congrats to the Missus for deciding to carry, and not leave it in your hands.

Reactions: guitarzNgunz
#3 ·
How important is a spare magazine?
More important than "clean underwear in case you have a car wreck". It's light, cheap, unobtrusive insurance against Murphy showing up (you know, at the worst possible moment). As for Remora holsters, I own, use & like 'em. But mine does NOT have a mag pouch 'cause (IMHO) it's the wrong spot for it. My mag pouch stays on my off (left) side.

Reactions: oneshot
#12 ·
I'm sure anyone who trains, yes TRAINS regularly, has experienced at least one malfunction, or one time of expending all your ammo, necessitating the use of a spare "magazine" or two...Not unusual in the least. JMO

For "soccerfly"...it's referered to as a "MAGAZINE" and NOT a "clip"...Google the difference and it will help you to understand.

For the OP, as others have said, keep your spare magazine and holder separate from your holster. You need to manipulate mag changes with your off hand, and the best place for the off hand to procure the new magazine is on the "off" side...

Reactions: SIGguy229
#6 ·
How important is it to carry a spare magazine?
Ammo could run out if you end up needing to fire to defend yourself, sure.

But, IMO, the far more important element is: being able to recover from a magazine failure of some sort. Can't recover easily, if all you've got is the one magazine that's in the gun. Given the prevalence of mag/ammo related issues causing stoppages, it seems a fool's gambit to fail to have at least one spare magazine fully loaded and ready to use.

#7 ·
At least one spare mag is essential and most find it best to carry on the weak side.
I love my Remora holsters and find them flexible (positioning), comfortable and function.. no slipping, no unwanted movement. I'd opt for a separate mag holder though.. not one attached to the holster itself.

#10 ·
I hope to never be in a situation where I need to shoot. I have 18 rounds at the ready and sure as heck hope to never need more if I should need to shoot. I carry an extra mag just in case. Who knows what could happen.

#11 ·
I started to carry an extra clip on my belt on my opposite side, when I decided to carry concealed it was a snowball effect of being personally
prepared and thinking differently ( its nots like being paranoid but it does take you to a different level of thinking) Tell your wife its better to be prepared than under prepared. The more the better.

#15 ·
I like the saying which is common, I'd rather have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it! Doesnt matter where you are anything could happen especially with the desperation for money with jobs down, drug use up (especially Herion, very addictive) So I just started carrying a spare mag since I have been on this forum. I never considered the fact that my mag can fail. Just makes sense.

#16 ·
Two is one, one is none.

#18 ·
The spare mag isn't mainly for rounds, it's for a magazine failure. YMMV

#76 ·
jj

I'm not against carrying an extra mag, but how many people think about this: a mag failure (for most people with quality mags) is probably about as rare as a revolver failure. There are more moving parts in a revolver than in a magazine anyway. If a revolver has 6 rounds, and a mag in a pistol has 16 rounds, seems like the person with the revolver should be carrying an extra revolver.

But again, I see nothing wrong with carrying an extra mag. Most probably carry it for extra rounds, not because they have had mags fail before. (unless they have really bad mags or just bad luck with good mags)

#20 ·
I always carry an extra mag or two for all the reasons already cited. Primary reason is in case of malfunction, but I also like the additional rounds...don't know why...

I carry one extra mag on my double stack pistols and I carry 2 extra mags for my single stack pistols.

#21 ·
When you get down to it, the primary reason for carrying a gun is to survive a gunfight, (or any serious attack that threatens your life...). Once the attack starts, I would just as soon have more ammo than I need.

Carry as much ammo as you can reasonably conceal on your person. That said, I usually carry at least one extra 15 round mag with me.

#27 ·
Pretty much agree with most others. I really am not that concerned about extra ammo. I am concerned about mag failure which is by far the greatest cause of malfunctions.

#29 ·
I agree with all of you about the need of a spare magazine, thanks for the great points that were made especially the comparison of it kinda being like leaving home with clean underwear in case you get in an accident. That comparison really seemed to drive the point home for my wife :D

I also agree with the fact that it should be worn on the weak side, that is also how I prefer to carry my spare magazines. It really seems to help balance me out with the heavy gun on the strong side, and not only that but your weak hand would be the one to retrieve the mag in a time of need so it just makes sense.

But getting my wife to wear more gear like mag holders is unlikely, so I figured if it's on the holster itself she would be more inclined to throw a spare mag in there. And also the Bodyguard 6 round mag is very lightweight it almost makes no difference as far as added weight.

Thanks for your input guys I appreciate it very much,
Chris-gNg

#30 ·
Speaking of magazine malfunctions. I decided to get my wife's BG380 ready for her CPL class coming up on the 1st by field stripping and cleaning her brand new pistol I tried the extra magazine that came with my wife's BG380 and wouldn't you know it, it isn't properly functioning. The mag wouldn't seat all the way in the pistol without forcing it. The other mag goes right in no problem. I tried to cycle a few rounds threw the faulty one and it jammed up. Needless to say I'm sending it back to S&W for an exchange, but unfortunately she will only have one magazine for her range time during her class. But this really proved my point to her that you can't always count on that "one" magazine to perform each and every time hence the need for a spare or TWO!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.