URGENT- How to secure weapon driving through Illinois?

This is a discussion on URGENT- How to secure weapon driving through Illinois? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see you mention roof rack so I assume no trunk available? In any case a roof rack is "not immediately accessible" so your suggestion ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: URGENT- How to secure weapon driving through Illinois?

I see you mention roof rack so I assume no trunk available? In any case a roof rack is "not immediately accessible" so your suggestion is right on, however no disassembly needed. Unloaded and cased is fine.

Additionally...case isn't required to be locked but if they have a lock it doesn't hurt to use it. Just adds to the "in accessibility" of it.

2. Remove Ads

You already got some good answers, but I would warn him that Kansas on I-70 is a strong argument for additional research into the Holtzman Effect and "folding space" a la the Spacing Guild. I grew up in Kansas and have driven I-70 one too many times. Control the spice:

QKShooter, Darrow75 and 357and40 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    A few answers for you and your friend may want to print them out. The second one is from the IL state Police.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/transgun0-000.pdf
    I love that first PDF. I share it all the time. check out Page 2 middle column Notice the "or"s:

IF A NON-RESIDENT IS VISITING ILLINOIS,
    HUNTING, OR TRAVELING THROUGH WITH
    A FIREARM, HOW DO THEY LEGALLY
    TRANSPORT IT?
    Non-residents must be legally eligible to possess
    or acquire fi rearms and ammunition. Non residents
    are not required to have an Illinois FOID Card. It is
    recommended that in order to be in compliance with all
    statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:

1. broken down in a non-functioning state; or
    2. not immediately accessible; or
    3. unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container
    Rock and Glock likes this.

You are allowed to transport a weapon through Illinois if your unloaded firearm is in its own locked case and the ammo is in another locked case in the farthest compartment from the driver. If you have a trunk place it there. If you have a SUV place it in the cargo area.
    It doesn't need to be locked, it doesn't need to be in the farthest compartment (unless it's still loaded), it doesn't need to be cased away from the ammo.

Not that any of those things wouldn't be a safe bet -- But technically, if it's unloaded and sitting right in the center console, you're legal (the center console was specifically noted as "a container" in a state court decision).

THAT SAID -- I unload and keep in a "flat" range bag under the passenger seat. Maybe...

Or maybe I keep it in the console...
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, passed and waiting for IL at the moment.

I-70 East to St Louis, MO
    I-55 South to Memphis, TN
    I-69 North to Evansville, IN

See, you have successfully circumvented Illinois!!!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    It doesn't need to be locked, it doesn't need to be in the farthest compartment (unless it's still loaded), it doesn't need to be cased away from the ammo.

Not that any of those things wouldn't be a safe bet -- But technically, if it's unloaded and sitting right in the center console, you're legal (the center console was specifically noted as "a container" in a state court decision).

THAT SAID -- I unload and keep in a "flat" range bag under the passenger seat. Maybe...

Or maybe I keep it in the console...
    You are right about the State Supreme Court decision that said the center console is in fact a "container" under Illinois law. HOWEVER i would not count on the average cop to know about that decision.
    mg27 likes this.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member
    Life's an adventure.... Drive AROUND Illinois!

----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    You are allowed to transport a weapon through Illinois if your unloaded firearm is in its own locked case and the ammo is in another locked case in the farthest compartment from the driver. If you have a trunk place it there. If you have a SUV place it in the cargo area.
    This is starting to sound less like a car trip and more like the TSA.

Not a lot of love, here, for Illinois!

- Anon

Illinois can be pain in the rear when traveling through and possessing firearms, my wife is from Springfield, IL.

When we must make the pilgrimage to her family from our current WV residence, we must at the Indiana border stop at the rest area, unload our weapons, stow them in the trunk and keep the ammunition in a separate place. That is the only way I know to transport any type of firearm into, through and while staying in Illinois.

Yet most of the people in IL are gun friendly, I know many of them. It's the Chicago political machine that rules the land and makes life tough for firearms possession. Blame it on them.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Illinois can be pain in the rear when traveling through and possessing firearms, my wife is from Springfield, IL.

When we must make the pilgrimage to her family from our current WV residence, we must at the Indiana border stop at the rest area, unload our weapons, stow them in the trunk and keep the ammunition in a separate place. That is the only way I know to transport any type of firearm into, through and while staying in Illinois.

Yet most of the people in IL are gun friendly, I know many of them. It's the Chicago political machine that rules the land and makes life tough for firearms possession. Blame it on them.
    It must be something about that part of the country. Michigan, coincidentally, is much like that.. Mostly Conservative residents throughout most of the state, except for when you get to Detroit, which is entirely Liberal and seems to set the rules for everything there.. (and Lansing.)

I know what you mean about Chicago. My sister lived in Zion while her husband was stationed at Great Lakes. Once she left Illinois, I have never found a reason to go back to Chicago.

We used to stop in Paducah to make the safe stowage stop on our way from Birmingham to St Louis, then we decided to go up through Mississippi, instead.

- Anon

I travel through Illinois to get to St. Louis, to visit my son and grandkids. I take EDC (unloaded) out at last rest stop in KY, put in COM in trunk . I have a laminated copy of the ISP brochure noted above that is placed under the COM. I mainly carry the brochure because I can't trust that local cops will know IL state law. In MO I take gun out, load and proceed on course. I don't like it but I also don't like the idea that IL can add 2-3 more hours of driving time to my trip by making me drive all the way through Memphis and MO.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Good points regarding the political situation in IL. It's a common misconception that the entire state is anti-gun. It's a case of the minority (Chicago politicians) controlling the majority (everybody else). They also control the Chicago media, and use those outlets to spread their propaganda. Unfortunately it seems no politicians are willing to stand up to the Chicago machine for fear of torpedoing their careers, so doubt anything will change soon. All LEOs that I've met through the course of work or being family members are very much pro 2nd amendment, but they're "handcuffed" by the state's laws so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Domr View Post
    All LEOs that I've met through the course of work or being family members are very much pro 2nd amendment, but they're "handcuffed" by the state's laws so to speak.
    I bypassed the Chigaco area on a recent move where I had to take I80. I didn't entirely bypass Illinois, but I did make sure to take a route through southern Illinois. While yes, my blood did boil the entire time I was in the state, I did notice lot of pro gun signs and things. If the rural folks there had their way, things would be quite different.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links