URGENT- How to secure weapon driving through Illinois? - Page 3

URGENT- How to secure weapon driving through Illinois?

This is a discussion on URGENT- How to secure weapon driving through Illinois? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a similar problem: live in CO, have family in IL and MI. Illinois' location, blocking I-80, is always going to be a problem. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: URGENT- How to secure weapon driving through Illinois?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I have a similar problem: live in CO, have family in IL and MI. Illinois' location, blocking I-80, is always going to be a problem. Bypassing it adds hundreds of miles to a trip that is already a 2600 mile odyssey.

Aside from the firearms issue, the worst thing about transiting IL is that much of the highway system is posted 55 mi/h and all of the natives drive at least 70. Driving the limit and being legal in IL is an accident-producing situation.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I grew up in MO north west of St Louis... I guess all those shootings in East St Louis I heard about growing up were fabrications. Clearly your not allowed to carry guns in IL.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    You already got some good answers, but I would warn him that Kansas on I-70 is a strong argument for additional research into the Holtzman Effect and "folding space" a la the Spacing Guild. I grew up in Kansas and have driven I-70 one too many times. Control the spice:

Oh man, you're a nerd for posting this.
    For he IS the Kwisatz Haderach.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    It must be something about that part of the country. Michigan, coincidentally, is much like that.. Mostly Conservative residents throughout most of the state, except for when you get to Detroit, which is entirely Liberal and seems to set the rules for everything there.. (and Lansing.)
    At least Michigan honors out of state permits :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Stop at the border. Pee, eat, gas. Drive through non stop, bother no one, obey traffic laws.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    ...check out Page 2 middle column Notice the "or"s:
    "IF A NON-RESIDENT IS VISITING ILLINOIS,
    HUNTING, OR TRAVELING THROUGH WITH
    A FIREARM, HOW DO THEY LEGALLY
    TRANSPORT IT?
    Non-residents must be legally eligible to possess
    or acquire fi rearms and ammunition. Non residents
    are not required to have an Illinois FOID Card. It is
    recommended that in order to be in compliance with all
    statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:

1. broken down in a non-functioning state; or
    2. not immediately accessible; or
    3. unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container"
    Good point. Never imagined I would say anything good about IL gun laws, but the quoted text is better that the federal safe-passage code by allowing the possibility of stopping in IL.

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    Life's an adventure.... Drive AROUND Illinois!

And there's a SECOND advantage to that route. You get to spend more time/miles in the always beautiful...Commonwealth of Kentucky!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    At least Michigan honors out of state permits :)
    I wish they honored more non-resident permits... With UT/FL, I still can't carry in MI.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

It's not that bad...some of you are going way excessive. Just cased and unlocked. Mags separate. I get it that we all want the laws in Illinois to change. Lived there most of my life. But am glad I moved. Like some have said, obey laws and no one will bother you. If pulled over, pull over to give room. Turn off radio. Turn interior light on. Sit still with hands on the wheel. Tell the truth and speak politely. When asked for documents, explain where they are located and move slowly for them. You will likely get a warning... If you get a ticket, that's where it will end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    What you plan on doing is fine, but I pay the extra gas to drive around IL...it's personal for me.
    A friend of mine from Pittsburgh moved to IL and wanted me to visit.. I refuse to spend time nor money there. I did however tell her she's more than welcome to come visit me in Myrtle Beach, SC anytime she likes.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepzilla View Post
    Stop at the border. Pee, eat, gas. Drive through non stop, bother no one, obey traffic laws.
    My usual attempt when Going to or from Family in Ind.

About it not being locked here is a paragraph worth reading about interstate transportation of firearms.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

So I was wrong about where it needed to be. It can't be in the drivers compartment. To be safe keep it in the trunk or cargo area.

I unload, break down and put it in a small lockbox in the glove compartment (no trunk in my pickup). I drive Louisville to St. Louis twice a year. Not allowing responsible people (if there are any) in East St. Louis Illinois to arm themselves is crazy. That place is nuts.

And I never spend any money in that state.

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    I wish they honored more non-resident permits... With UT/FL, I still can't carry in MI.
    MI doesn't honor ANY non-resident permit....but they do honor ALL states' permits.

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    About it not being locked here is a paragraph worth reading about interstate transportation of firearms.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

So I was wrong about where it needed to be. It can't be in the drivers compartment. To be safe keep it in the trunk or cargo area.
    Notice it doesn't say ammo separate.

January this year I wrote the illinois state police asking:

"I am aware that Illinois does not recognize my Missouri CCW.

I travel into Illinois often on business and do not have an FOID card.

Am I correct that in order to legally travel through Illinois with my
    firearm that I would need to do the following before entering the state:

be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in my
    state of residence
    ensure the weapon is unloaded, and
    ensure the weapon is enclosed in a case, and
    ensure the weapon is not immediately accessible or broken down in a
    nonfunctioning state

Is there any specific requirement for transport of the ammunition that was
    in the weapon or in any additional magazines or revolver strips?

Thank you!"

The reply was:

The information you listed is correct. With regards to ammunition, it can
    be in the same case as the firearm but must not be loaded into the firearm.

Thank you,

Christina Hibbert
    Illinois State Police
    Firearms Services Bureau
    217-782-5047"

Bear in mind that "enclosed in a case" does not require a lock and does not have to be a specific gun case. A zippered pouch is sufficient. Just because I have one I use a locking care safe secured to my seat frame.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bulld...h-All+Products is what I use. I like the keyed version.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links