NC Help Needed: I take my daughter to daycare in the morning, how do I CC?

This is a discussion on NC Help Needed: I take my daughter to daycare in the morning, how do I CC? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Raleigh, NC. I got my CC permit about 6 months ago. I have finally started carrying occasionally after doing lots of research. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: NC Help Needed: I take my daughter to daycare in the morning, how do I CC?

I live in Raleigh, NC. I got my CC permit about 6 months ago. I have finally started carrying occasionally after doing lots of research. A problem that I have is that I take my daughter to daycare in the morning. It is my understanding that I cannot have a gun on the grounds of the daycare (because it's considered a school?) even if itís locked in my car.

Is anyone here in this scenario? It really isnít practical for me to drop her off then go back home to get my gun.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Jonathan

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

re: NC Help Needed: I take my daughter to daycare in the morning, how do I CC?

In Minnesota its illegal inside without written permission from the daycare, I leave mine locked in the locked glove box, car locked.

Wish I could help more with your state. I'd advise contacting an attorney.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

Welcome aboard and congratulations on getting your ccw permit.

It helps if you know exactly what your state law is regarding school property. In fact it is your responsibility to know this. Each state is different. A good website which has valuable information on all the states is Handgunlaw.us. However, it may not go into all the nuances of each state so it is always good to verify before you act based on that information. However, it is an excellent site you'll find yourself referencing from time to time so be sure and bookmark it in your favorites. The owner of the website is also a member here and he does a great job staying on top of each states new statutes.

If it comes down to it, is it possible for you to park on the street or around the corner off of school property when dropping off? How about parking across the street (depending on how heavy the traffic flow is in front of the school)?

In my state, you can drop off at school as long as you don't exit the car while carrying. It is also legal to leave your gun secured inside the vehicle if you must accompany your child inside. I live in Missouri so I'm not familiar with NC laws. We do have lots of members from NC, so stand-by and someone else will chime in.

The bottom line is not to let that particular situation discourage you from carrying for the rest of the day. You have no idea when or where a lethal threat will occur and it's foolish to let a 5 minute stop at the start of your day keep you from being able to defend yourself for the entire day.

Good luck, and again, welcome to the forum.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thanks guys. I even called the Sheriffs Dept. this morning and they transferred me about 4 times and no one really had a clear answer for a daycare. I will wait to see if anyone from NC chimes in. Thanks :)

Jonathan

Take a look here, specifically Page 20 and 38:

http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/32344299...-gun-Laws.aspx

Page 20 discusses the prohibition against carry at "Schools" which is not therein defined. Page 38 has some contact information for additional information.

Also look at the section on transport in a car. It appeared you could lock it in the glovebox and be OK. What it boils down to is: 1) The daycare a school as defined and 2) Could the glovebox suffice if locked

Both could well require an attorney, or some NC members may chime in.

Good luck. Bark'n has some sound advice.

I added NC to your thread title so maybe some NC members will jump in sooner rather than later.

Welcome!

VIP Member
    I looked over your page for NC @ handgunlaw, and I couldn't find anything on daycare centers.
    It appears as though if its not noted and on the books, then it should be alright.
    I would contact the Atorney Generals office for NC and have them give an opinion.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

The easiest way to get by this is to secure your handgun in the vehicle and park just off the premise of the daycare. For example at a neighboring business or street side parking.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I would do that but the "campus" for the daycare is decently big and on a semi main road. i would have to walk with her about 200 yards and across a main road :(. And I dont even know a place where i would be able to park

Quote Originally Posted by jhabers View Post
    I would do that but the "campus" for the daycare is decently big and on a semi main road. i would have to walk with her about 200 yards and across a main road :(. And I dont even know a place where i would be able to park
    I understand and sometimes you have to forgo carry to stay within the law. The one thing that may make it easier is if the day care shared the parking lot with another business that was open to the public.

This is a good reason to keep close watch on new bills presented in the NC legislature next year and start calling and writing your reps asking for them to back changes that would allow at least parking lot carry in educational facilities.
    Bark'n likes this.

Welcome to the forum!

Every state will be different, but you are on the right track with handgunlaw.us. We're lucky, here in GA, we can consult Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news or Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org. Perhaps NC has something like that. I expect you could ask on either Georgia Carry or Georgia Packing, and they may be able to direct you to a NC equivalent.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

i deal with a similar situation here. park off school grounds, lock up your gun, and walk the extra 20 feet. be safe.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Another option would be to find a smaller, more quaint day care for your kid located in a smaller neighborhood. One which isn't the size of a small junior college, and one which is not located on a main thoroughfare. One where she gets more one-on-one attention and perhaps, maybe even cheaper to boot. I'm sure there are other day care facilities which would fit your needs as well as your child's.

As I said, it would really suck no being able to defend yourself over a 5 minute drop off at the start of every day. I can guarantee you the person trying to kill you won't show any mercy because you are not carrying your gun because you had to drop your kid off at daycare that morning.

As NC Bullseye pointed out, all the more reason to pay attention to legislation and to be involved in the process. A lot of states who seem to be more gun friendly, have addressed that issue with specific regard to ccw holders who have to visit schools as part of their daily routine.

As I pointed out earlier, in my state, you don't even have to unholster and secure your weapon if you are just dropping off/picking up and don't get out of the car. Also, you are allowed to store your weapon secured inside your vehicle while in a school parking lot.

Good luck.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

gee, from all of the answers.... I'm glad here, we can email the AG with a question like that and within hours they would give us an answer, and if asked enough, they put it in their Conceal carry section..... FAQ.

But then here, it's MUCH easier..... they can't post anything but a building, and for it to be illegal to carry in the daycare itself, it would have to be posted with the AG signage, etc. Otherwise, it's quite legal to carry in a daycare, school, etc.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    gee, from all of the answers.... I'm glad here, we can email the AG with a question like that and within hours they would give us an answer, and if asked enough, they put it in their Conceal carry section..... FAQ.

But then here, it's MUCH easier..... they can't post anything but a building, and for it to be illegal to carry in the daycare itself, it would have to be posted with the AG signage, etc. Otherwise, it's quite legal to carry in a daycare, school, etc.
    In NC the AGs office will not give an official opinion to a non LEO request. Even as state certified instructors we have a crap shoot on getting one of the AG's assistants assigned to the justice academy to go out on a limb and help us out.

We as a state are getting better and now with a bit more of a 2A friendly legislature we should be able to make up some ground in the next few years.

From the Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news website

Q: May I carry at schools – K through 12?
    A:
    No! However, a person with a Georgia Weapons License may carry a firearm while dropping off or picking up a student and also may keep a firearm in a motor vehicle while parked on campus.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links