Poll Re: Kids shooting

This is a discussion on Poll Re: Kids shooting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Grandson will be seven in JAN. I started him two months ago. Depends on their ability to pay attention....

View Poll Results: Years old?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

1 0.74%

4 2.96%

4 2.96%

12 8.89%

18 13.33%

13 9.63%

17 12.59%

4 2.96%

13 9.63%

3 2.22%

6 4.44%

2 1.48%

4 2.96%

0 0%
  • 16 or older

34 25.19%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Poll Re: Kids shooting

Grandson will be seven in JAN. I started him two months ago. Depends on their ability to pay attention.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

2. Remove Ads

This one is three at the time ( almost 4), he shoots the .22 on his own, my middle son started at 6 he is ADHD and needed more time. Out of my 5 they started between 3 and 6 years of age.

Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Senior Moderator
    I shot my first squirrel at age six with a 20ga, I am taking my 5 year old son hunting this weekend. I don't know if I will let him shot the .22 yet, but he might.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Around the 5ish - 6ish age for shooting, can't remember exactly but I voted 6 because that's when I got my daughter her first .22.

Just something I just thought of for those out there who are planning on taking young kids shooting, especially for the first time; make sure that you really check the hearing protection for a good fit and check it often. A young kid shooting for the first time may not know how it's supposed to sound when the hearing protection is functioning properly and may "accept" a bad fit with louder than acceptable noise levels.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I never did. My kids are grown now. I did not own firearms (was not opposed to them) until 4 years ago. I am giving them positive info now though.

I don't have kids but I've seen them as young as 4 at our range. Our range also runs a youth rifle league with participants as young as 7. Appreciate the parents diligence regarding safety. Seen many a child marched out for failing to follow just one of the basic safety rules.

I raised three - thank the good Lord no negligent discharges and they're all grown and own their own firearms. I introduced them to the range and shooting around the age of five or six, the graduated to real marksmanship basics around 7 or 8. Not to be sexist, but the boys really liked it, my baby girl can take it or leave it, but she's competent with a handgun or shotgun. That said, I had a standing rule which seemed to eliminate the mystery surrounding guns. If, at any time, they wanted to look at a gun, I would do my best to stop doing what I was doing and we'd look together...made the gun safe, was there to answer any questions, etc.... They all knew that, and then guns were like any other potentially dangerous tool in the house...they required adult supervision and the adults were happy to share this experience with them.

We've got a lot a memories that involve firearms...thankfully, none of them are bad.

I voted 3. She hasn't actually shot but I have taken her shooting and talked to her about not touching firearms. I also let her hold an UNLOADED pistol a couple of times with my wife or I with her. We did this to help get rid of any curiosity. The younger you start them the better.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Maturity Level of the kid and Parents knowledge of it is the most important thing. Also how much time and knowledge the parents have to properly teach their kids
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

My son took his first deer at 6, I started him out when he was 5 shooting 22's. He's 8 now and this was the first year I felt comfortable with him shooting a pistol. My daughter started at 7.

On Saturday I went out with some family members to shoot 22s and pistols. One of my cousins had a really small single shot 22 rifle that I let my 2 year old (3 in two weeks) pull the trigger to while I was helping him hold it. I have already started teaching him firearm safety but won't let him start shooting for several more years.

I already posted my son started around the age of 7. But I started him out skydiving even earlier:
    Harness.jpg

He was about three at family day. Long time ago....
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Well, my answer should have been 9 but I put 16 or older instead. All it said was"Poll. How old?" I thought it was asking how old I was! Oh well.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Here's my almost 8 year old at my in-laws the day after Thanksgiving shooting my M & P 15-22 in their front yard.

Poll Re: Kids shooting

It all depends on the child. I have an 8 year old granddaughter that does well, one a year younger that would be like taping a .22 pistol to a Jack Russell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links