WATCH!: How FAST An Attack Happens, And How Quickly You Can Go Down: - Page 2

WATCH!: How FAST An Attack Happens, And How Quickly You Can Go Down:

This is a discussion on WATCH!: How FAST An Attack Happens, And How Quickly You Can Go Down: within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guns or lack thereof have little, if anything to do with this attack on a lone teenage girl walking down a fairly deserted street....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: WATCH!: How FAST An Attack Happens, And How Quickly You Can Go Down:

VIP Member
    Guns or lack thereof have little, if anything to do with this attack on a lone teenage girl walking down a fairly deserted street.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    My first thought before I even read the thread verbage was situational awareness (SA). It cannot stop everything by a longshot but it sure can reduce the odds. In the video, however, we are not talking about night darkness and we are not talking about (at least I think) bad areas with much crime---it seems to be, for whatever reason, some kind of ridiculous random act although I do wonder (what happened maybe a few minutes before all of this?--I find it difficult to imagine this guy just ran up and punched her--makes no sense and if it makes no sense odds are there is more to this than meets the video). I am 71 and maybe I am just lucky but I have always aired on the side of SA/common sense and never ever felt a need for defense of any kind. There is no doubt that your first order of defense, even with cases like this one, is SA and on a statistical basis I would easily agree with anyone who tells me that SA is and should be at least 90%, if not higher, of your defensive priority with the remaining 10% or less being your firearm or other personal defense equipment or physical knowhow. There is a good chance if you should somehow find yourself in a "scenario", it is due to poor SA in the first place.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Only speculating on a motive that the girl is wearing some kind of headscarf , that she may be Arab. Despicable no matter the motive.

GH
    The attacker didn't have to blindside the victim. He should have been secure in the knowledge that no victim in London is armed.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member
    There are some just plain mean ass people in this world. How could anyone derive pleasure from an attack on a innocent person? Good candidate for a public hanging.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Interesting this was in London. As far as I know, you cannot carry firearms in London. So I wonder how much of this type thing happens because the bad guys know they won't have to deal with an armed victim?
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I think those who commented that you can't completely defend against this kind of random attack are correct. That being said, this video is the best argument I've ever seen for developing a good case of swivel-head. On a crowded street, you can't defend against every person behind you, but if the rest of the street was this deserted, you can at least be aware of one individual like this. Popping out from an alley just after you pass is one thing (with another defensive approach) but letting someone approach for that long is ill-advised. Cross the street, stop and let them pass, whatever, but do something that at least gives you enough warning to respond, or at the very least scream for help.

Glad to hear she was Ok.
    detective likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    In this case, unless you hear the attacker approaching (he was running/jogging) and can fint/dodge/block the initial punch there isn't much you're gonna do to prevent it. Even if your SA was up and you 'could' react at the last possible second, you'd still better brace yourself to take a punch. That 'might' be enough to keep yourself from being knocked out and to get into the fight...... chances are you wouldn't be able to run/escape, but in broad daylight and on even a moderatly busy street/sidewalk, you'd give yourself a fighting chance.

WRT the video, I wonder if 'words' were exchanged prior to this attack. This loser just quickly and quietly approached from behind and put her down.... then took off. No robbery, etc. occured. Possibly even a dare or gang-type initiation.....?
    Spoken like a true sailor who no doubt has probably strolled down the streets in a couple of places which could have been described as the seedy underbelly of the host country.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I think it may be interesting to mention that goldshellback's astute observation points out this particular attack seems to have no purpose other than to sneak up on someone and knock them out with one shot to the head. That is not your typical street crime which usually has a purpose of robbing someone for the financial gain of the attacker.

I have heard of something called "the knock-out game" being a problem in some cities like St. Louis and Chicago which is what this attack seemed to be at least on the same level of utterly senseless depravity.

My point is, more to what the initial post is talking about... the fact that any attack, regardless of the motivation can happen by surprise, at lightning speed, and catching you almost completely off guard. About the only thing you can do (if you aren't completely knocked unconscious), is to immediately engage by trying to fend off the blows of the attacker and gain distance to get your weapon in play. With my particular mindset, I'm not going to be fending off blows... My response is to immediately counter attack, and start landing blows in order to give me an opportunity to go to the gun.

It would be fair to say that if you have to chamber a round in your pistol before you can engage with it, may be the determining factor whether you win or lose.
    goldshellback likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I think it may be interesting to mention that goldshellback's astute observation points out this particular attack seems to have no purpose other than to sneak up on someone and knock them out with one shot to the head. That is not your typical street crime which usually has a purpose of robbing someone for the financial gain of the attacker.

I have heard of something called "the knock-out game" being a problem in some cities like St. Louis and Chicago which is what this attack seemed to be at least on the same level of utterly senseless depravity.

My point is, more to what the initial post is talking about... the fact that any attack, regardless of the motivation can happen by surprise, at lightning speed, and catching you almost completely off guard. About the only thing you can do (if you aren't completely knocked unconscious), is to immediately engage by trying to fend off the blows of the attacker and gain distance to get your weapon in play. With my particular mindset, I'm not going to be fending off blows... My response is to immediately counter attack, and start landing blows in order to give me an opportunity to go to the gun.

It would be fair to say that if you have to chamber a round in your pistol before you can engage with it, may be the determining factor whether you win or lose.
    In this case the attacker immediately fled, hence no further blows to fend off. He kept enough distance that
    even if one were aware enough to try to counter, it wouldn't happen. And as for the pistol, he turned and
    fled immediately, so if you were conscious and shot him you probably would not be fully justified, or justified in
    many (if not most) jurisdictions.

This crime is one of those unfortunate things in life that has no easy answer. Even if the guy gets caught
    he may face no charge more serious than simple assault and battery; a misdemeanor in many places. (I didn't follow
    the story carefully so I'm assuming he didn't do lasting serious damage or kill her, something certainly possible
    if he caught her cervical vertebrae the wrong way.)
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Spoken like a true sailor who no doubt has probably strolled down the streets in a couple of places which could have been described as the seedy underbelly of the host country.
    Uuhhh.....Mmmmm.... Well, I uh.... will neither confirm nor deny in this thread I performed any type of recon/intel missions in any port's 'lesser' areas.........

......but similar actions have been attempted aginst (possibly) myself and a few shipmates and yes, the actions I suggested do come from (sort of) those 'experiences'.

You read right through me Bark'n
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Talk about being blind sided... And a blind side attack is very difficult to discern before it's too late.

Anyone who spends any time walking on downtown sidewalks in a major city knows you just can't spin around every time you hear someone approach from the rear.

However, most people are preoccupied at least to some extent as they are out walking. At least some, if not most of their attention is focused on something else. About the only thing this particular person could have done is if the victim had walked past the attacker before he approached and attacked from behind (and we have no way of knowing this). But maybe the victim could have noticed something about the attacker's behavior before the victim walked past him which could have alerted the victim that the attacker was sizing them up as they approached.

Most attackers don't attack someone without assessing whether their victim has the potential of hurting them. But this is certainly a good visual lesson that attacks can come with very little; or no warning at all. Can happen in the blink of the eye. And are extremely violent.

Also, people have to realize that just because they carry a gun, doesn't mean they will be able to fend off every attack. Or even survive the attack. We all have lapses in our situational awareness.
    Yes, violent if right, I think the poor victim is lifted off their feet by the blow. And I don't know how the attacker did that without breaking his hand. Was it the side of his fist that actually hit? It looked like he was an expert in his "trade". And he must be nuts, he just floors the victim and then jogs away, no attempt to grab a wallet when the victim is out - purposeless...

Quote Originally Posted by CAS_Shooter View Post
    There is no certain defense against the will and ability of one person to do harm to another. Period. No gun of any size or caliber will prevent one person from wreaking havoc on another. Arming ourselves provides some measure of security and safety. It has proven to deter and protect. However, even the most skilled and situationally aware professionals can get ambushed. It is too bad there was not a skilled armed citizen (I know it's the UK) in a position to protect this girl and, in so doing, prevent further pain on future victims.
    That was a GIRL? I wasn't sure. Boy, that guy is really disgusting, worse than disgusting...

Wonder what his beef was with the girl ? He didn't steal her purse or pick pocket her.

Maybe she was a "working girl" and he didn't get his moneys worth.

Maybe she deserved a good punch..............................

Please, it's just a bit of humor folks.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    That was in England. No guns and nothing for the criminal element to fear.
    That may be true but it sure as hell isn't confined to England.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links