Do You Carry at Home?

This is a discussion on Do You Carry at Home? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet Are you kidding? Where do you think all the loot stolen from "good" neighborhoods goes? The number of welfare folks rolling ...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Do You Carry at Home?

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Are you kidding? Where do you think all the loot stolen from "good" neighborhoods goes? The number of welfare folks rolling out the big screens (that I can't afford!) at Walmart tells me that's exactly where I'd go. The "poor" neoghborhoods are where all the Escalades with $1110 wheels are located. More goodies; fewer alarms systems.
    +1

My 1911 is next to me while we watch the Macy parade, my wife's FNP is on the counter while she is baking a cake.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

2. Remove Ads

Still waiting for my CCW here as well. IMO once you make the decision to arm yourself for protection it should become routine like wearing a seatbelt. Sure you might be fine driving to the convinence store without protection but most accidents happen close to home. ALWAYS CARRY.
    BkCo1 and Spec like this.

Do you only put on your seat belt when you think you might wreck?

Yes, I carry at home.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Just curious how many carry at home going about your day to day activities,,washing dishes, mowing lawn, playing catch with the kids etc...?
    ..or do you just have it readily accessible though not wearing it?

I am just getting ready to rake some leaves here shortly and found myself saying

"I don't need my gun in my own yard"
    drive-by shootings, kidnappings, home invasions, serial killers going door to door looking for a victim.. all of these things happen, and they happen in nice, quiet neighborhoods in peoples' yards and homes. Yes I generally carry at home, or have a gun within reach. I don't like thinking the worst of every person I see, but I do like to be very aware of my current situation, and part of that includes knowing where a threat could come from at any given time, and being prepared for that event should it happen. Walking to my mailbox at the end of the drive is no different than standing at a gas pump alone late at night outside of my car, or walking down the sidewalk somewhere in town. There's always the possibility of something happening if I let my guard down.

Yes, I carry at home.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I live in one of the nicer neighborhoods in my small town. 4 cops live on my street and my street deadends 6 houses down. It helps to cut down on random people driving through and solicitors.

Solicitors always seem to be youthes in hoodies from the big city who get dropped off trying to sell steaks and magazines. I always answer the door open carry if i dont know who it is.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

Unless I'm in the shower, a bar or some other place that prohibits carry I have a gun on me.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    If I'm up, it's on.
    GlassWolf likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

No my home is my castle....well it's my "Ex-wifes" castle..but you get my point....I carry daily as part of my job so when I'm off the vest and gun are hung up but that does not mean my castle isn't fortified with close at hand options such as a Shotgun at the door a G27 in the bathroom and a 1911 under the pillow..
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Yes or one handy. I answer the door either carrying or " hidden" behind my leg and the door. Most people. I know call first. I don't usually get unannounced visitors.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Surfing the net, watching the parade, and carrying. All the time.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I carried at home for a while before I got my CPL because I had read about people who were always messing with or trying to adjust the gun, therefore alerting others that they are carrying. Carrying at home gave me a chance to get through all that and get used to the gun being there so I didn't appear self-conscious about it when out on the street. Worked pretty well I think as, to my knowledge, no one has ever been able to tell I'm carrying. That includes everyone in my family.

Getting used to it being on my person also had another effect: being armed became so much a part of life, so ordinary and unremarkable, I was never tempted to 'show it off' or anything. That allows one to avoid so many of the mistakes that can plague inexperienced gun owners like leaving it out in the wrong place where the wrong people have access to it, shooting someone accidentally because you cleared it but forgot to take the mag out, shooting yourself in the head trying to demonstrate the safety, in addition to the many other mistakes that can be made that I have read about recently.

Cheers,
    Gav
    ws76133 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Just curious how many carry at home going about your day to day activities,,washing dishes, mowing lawn, playing catch with the kids etc...?
    ..or do you just have it readily accessible though not wearing it?

I am just getting ready to rake some leaves here shortly and found myself saying

"I don't need my gun in my own yard"

Now I am re-evaluating that thinking.

Although I live in a good neighborhood, this is where I would think criminals look for loot. Afterall; robbery in poor neighborhoods is probably not profitable for the BG.

I guess I've come to answer my own question "when do I need my gun?" Answer "When I need my gun!"
    Our LGS, which also has permit classes had two neighbors come in to sign up for class. They were working on one of the homes in a good neighborhood and were robbed at gunpoint.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

As much as I can. And I'm in Illinois, so it's really one of the only places I can in the first place.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, passed and waiting for IL at the moment.

Yep

I realized it would take too long to retrieve my gun if there was a break in. I cannot leave it just laying around as I have two kids. They are well trained in safety, but I leave nothing to chance. On my person is the safest and most accessible place to keep my weapon.
    minimalbrat likes this.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links