Defensive Carry banner

Do You Carry at Home?

9K views 135 replies 114 participants last post by  whoppo 
#1 ·
Just curious how many carry at home going about your day to day activities,,washing dishes, mowing lawn, playing catch with the kids etc...?
..or do you just have it readily accessible though not wearing it?

I am just getting ready to rake some leaves here shortly and found myself saying

"I don't need my gun in my own yard"

Now I am re-evaluating that thinking.

Although I live in a good neighborhood, this is where I would think criminals look for loot. Afterall; robbery in poor neighborhoods is probably not profitable for the BG.

I guess I've come to answer my own question "when do I need my gun?" Answer "When I need my gun!"

#2 ·
I do. In fact, just yesterday I was doing dishes and baking for Thanksgiving armed. LOL

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

#3 ·
Goes on first thing in the morning and does not come off until I am ready to retire for the evening. And, I live in a "nice" neighborhood, too.

#5 ·
I work from home... usually in the comfort of sweatpants... so I don't do the morning routine of strapping on the firearm. But I do have a weapon that goes bang within reach of where I spend 95% of my time... in my desk of the home office and next to the recliner in the den. Oh, and of course the one within reach of the bed.

#12 ·
Although I live in a good neighborhood, this is where I would think criminals look for loot. Afterall; robbery in poor neighborhoods is probably not profitable for the BG.
Are you kidding? Where do you think all the loot stolen from "good" neighborhoods goes? The number of welfare folks rolling out the big screens (that I can't afford!) at Walmart tells me that's exactly where I'd go. The "poor" neighborhoods are where all the Escalades with $1000 wheels are located. More goodies; fewer alarms systems.

Reactions: mkh
#16 ·
Are you kidding? Where do you think all the loot stolen from "good" neighborhoods goes? The number of welfare folks rolling out the big screens (that I can't afford!) at Walmart tells me that's exactly where I'd go. The "poor" neoghborhoods are where all the Escalades with $1110 wheels are located. More goodies; fewer alarms systems.
+1

My 1911 is next to me while we watch the Macy parade, my wife's FNP is on the counter while she is baking a cake.

#14 ·
Inside the house I live in my boxers but there are multiple guns through out the house. If I have yard work the gun is on my person.

Although I live in a very nice neighborhood the number of home invasions is reason enough to always have a gun at the ready.

#15 ·
I carry most of the time. Out in the yard and in the house I oc. I am not going to bother to cover the gun while I am doing yard work, walking to the mail box or doing dishes. I don't always carry while I am at the desk. I have the gun on my desk. Why do I carry most of the time? Well, a bad neighborhood is a poor place to rob lol. I would think people would want to break into a nicer neighborhood.

Personally I would rather open carry. I don't like the idea of having to get to my gun.

Reactions: Spec
#19 ·
Just curious how many carry at home going about your day to day activities,,washing dishes, mowing lawn, playing catch with the kids etc...?
..or do you just have it readily accessible though not wearing it?

I am just getting ready to rake some leaves here shortly and found myself saying

"I don't need my gun in my own yard"
drive-by shootings, kidnappings, home invasions, serial killers going door to door looking for a victim.. all of these things happen, and they happen in nice, quiet neighborhoods in peoples' yards and homes. Yes I generally carry at home, or have a gun within reach. I don't like thinking the worst of every person I see, but I do like to be very aware of my current situation, and part of that includes knowing where a threat could come from at any given time, and being prepared for that event should it happen. Walking to my mailbox at the end of the drive is no different than standing at a gas pump alone late at night outside of my car, or walking down the sidewalk somewhere in town. There's always the possibility of something happening if I let my guard down.

#20 ·
Yes, I carry at home.

#21 ·
I live in one of the nicer neighborhoods in my small town. 4 cops live on my street and my street deadends 6 houses down. It helps to cut down on random people driving through and solicitors.

Solicitors always seem to be youthes in hoodies from the big city who get dropped off trying to sell steaks and magazines. I always answer the door open carry if i dont know who it is.

#24 ·
No my home is my castle....well it's my "Ex-wifes" castle..but you get my point....I carry daily as part of my job so when I'm off the vest and gun are hung up but that does not mean my castle isn't fortified with close at hand options such as a Shotgun at the door a G27 in the bathroom and a 1911 under the pillow..

#27 ·
I carried at home for a while before I got my CPL because I had read about people who were always messing with or trying to adjust the gun, therefore alerting others that they are carrying. Carrying at home gave me a chance to get through all that and get used to the gun being there so I didn't appear self-conscious about it when out on the street. Worked pretty well I think as, to my knowledge, no one has ever been able to tell I'm carrying. That includes everyone in my family.

Getting used to it being on my person also had another effect: being armed became so much a part of life, so ordinary and unremarkable, I was never tempted to 'show it off' or anything. That allows one to avoid so many of the mistakes that can plague inexperienced gun owners like leaving it out in the wrong place where the wrong people have access to it, shooting someone accidentally because you cleared it but forgot to take the mag out, shooting yourself in the head trying to demonstrate the safety, in addition to the many other mistakes that can be made that I have read about recently.

Cheers,
Gav

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.