Do You Carry at Home?

This is a discussion on Do You Carry at Home? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nope, but Im never more then a couple seconds from it when Im inside. Outside but "home"? depends on how long ill be out there ...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Do You Carry at Home?

Nope, but Im never more then a couple seconds from it when Im inside. Outside but "home"? depends on how long ill be out there and what im doing but not as a rule.

2. Remove Ads

I carry at home. Home is also a testing ground for holsters. I try them out a few days before going out with em. As far as showering...maybe a ziplock bag lol.

I do not carry at home. As soon as I get home its back in the safe. I dont always carry while out either. I would rather take a chance with a burglar then take a chance of my grandkids somehow grabbing it or getting hold of it.

Hmm. Never thought of having to practice gun-retention techniques with kids. Well, they can be pretty naughty and squirrely. Myself, I just started laying down the law and what is expected with my daughter when she was six. She's followed my directions to the letter because she knows it's important. I also don't give her any opportunity to mess up, i.e., it's either on my hip or in the safe. But it's not in the safe very much. I guess everyone has to start from his or her comfort zone. Congrats on the decision to be armed in the first place.
    ep1953 likes this.

yes but I think I may be a sick puppy Sr9c on my side two AR's on the table and M1 standing in the corner.
    Not as bad as it looks I getting some things out of storage where they can be more useful if needed.

Hah-

You guys are more hardcore than I am. I don't want that thing on me at home. I live in a nice suburb, but even when I lived downtown for years I never carried at home. I know where to run if I need it though!

GH
    I carry at home sometimes. If I've been out I usually leave it on when I get back home, especially if I know or suspect I'm going out again. If I'm planning on staying home I'll take it off & put it in a drawer. I have a 13 year old grandson living here but he's very gun savvy & I don't bother locking it up. He doesn't have the slightest idea which drawer it's in & the loaded mags are stored in a different drawer. It takes less than 20 seconds for me to get the gun & load it from anywhere in the house.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    of course. I'd be a fool not to have a weapon on me or close while at home. Being prepared for the worst case scenario is
    not paranoia, but being a responsible gun owner.

orlando home invasion - Yahoo! Video Search
    In my opinion, carrying at all times for something that has such a slight chance of being needed (gun on your belt while in your house) is more paranoid than being responsible. Like saying I'm a responsible driver because I never ever get out of my car.

Also, I question the judgement of someone who uses Yahoo for their web searches in 2012. (sorry, I had to).

:)

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    Hah-

You guys are more hardcore than I am. I don't want that thing on me at home. I live in a nice suburb, but even when I lived downtown for years I never carried at home. I know where to run if I need it though!
    In my opinion, carrying at all times for something that has such a slight chance of being needed (gun on your belt while in your house) is more paranoid than being responsible. Like saying I'm a responsible driver because I never ever get out of my car.

Also, I question the judgement of someone who uses Yahoo for their web searches in 2012. (sorry, I had to).

There is a thin line that seperates paranoia from preperation that usually reveals itself in the form of an emergency. I hope the need never arrives for your gun while you are home. A lack of perperation could be detrimental.

I don't care how nice your neighborhood is, bad guys are everywhere. I feel the chances of having to use my gun in SD are much greater in my own home. On the street a justified shooting is viewed in shades of grey, in my home it's black and white. Come in uninvited, try to due my family harm, your dead.
    ep1953 likes this.

Re: Do You Carry at Home?

Dang it, got outbid on another crystal ball auction... gonna have to carry a little longer it seems.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

I carry at home usually... (90% of the time)

Wife just asked me why I had my gun on...

Answer: It stays with the jeans I'm wearing every day.

I might need pants at night to check out the "bumps in the night"... So they stay by the bed with the holstered gun, and get put in the dirty clothes the following day (sans the gun, of course).

Am I more hardcore than my brother in Milwaukee? Possibly... But Murphy never takes a holiday. There has been an increase in daytime home invasions...as well as nighttime.

And, it's only a home invasion if you're home. Otherwise, it's burglary. I don't want to be involved in a home invasion unprepared.

ETA here's a couple of recent Wisconsin home invasions:

Here's one from Lake Geneva... that's pretty upscale, as I recall...

Here's another, which I posted "in the news" from Green Bay...

There have been others.. .they are happening in Iowa... In Wisconsin, In Minnesota... Bigger cities, bigger likelihood.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Yeah.. I used to feel that way too... In fact, heck, your chances over a lifetime of dying from a firearms assault1 are about the same as having a reportable house fire2... about one in 314.

Of course, I've had a reportable house fire... total loss... I wasn't home at the time. But, in case I am home next time, I do have a fire extinguisher close by... might be enough... might not.

If a gun is close by... I suppose that might be good enough, too... But... sometimes it hasn't been... look for my postings in "In the news" I recall several where the person had a gun.. but not near by..

Then there's the woman on Panic - 9 1 1 that somebody linked the video trailer for it here on DC recently...

She did the right thing... She barricaded herself in the bedroom with her child.... and the gun was in the safe in the bedroom with her and her child... But the key was in the living room, where the intruder was....

She managed to pry the gun safe (small portable, type + adrenaline, I'm sure) open with her bare hands... Don't know how it ended... but I assume the perp got a little lead poisoning...

Surely, you can do as you wish.... and call the rest of us paranoid... And, in all honesty, it will probably work out for you just fine... probably. The odds are with you.... The stats are with you.... The gun..? Well, it's with me.

1. National Safety Council Statistics. Leading Causes of death.
    2. Extensive research on my part.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Paranoia if nothing ever happens if something does it is genius and foresight. Hind sight will decide witch. Being armed is as natural to me as having my pants on.
    For someone to come here and a firearm on the kitchen tables would not even get a glance. Fire arms in our homes are no less prevalent that a chair .
    We are comfortable with them everyone is trained it is just not considered a big deal.

Not 100% of the time. But Im rethinking the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Of COURSE I carry at home. We live so far out in the country that we have to go towards town...to hunt! It might be early next week before the Sheriff got out here.

Whoppo, you're fer-sure okay by me, but does your Mrs. REALLY know you've called her...that? Mrs. G.T. would feed me a frying pan...in my sleep!
    You should see what she calls me in the forums she frequents :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Links