Defensive Carry banner

Do You Carry at Home?

9K views 135 replies 114 participants last post by  whoppo 
#1 ·
Just curious how many carry at home going about your day to day activities,,washing dishes, mowing lawn, playing catch with the kids etc...?
..or do you just have it readily accessible though not wearing it?

I am just getting ready to rake some leaves here shortly and found myself saying

"I don't need my gun in my own yard"

Now I am re-evaluating that thinking.

Although I live in a good neighborhood, this is where I would think criminals look for loot. Afterall; robbery in poor neighborhoods is probably not profitable for the BG.

I guess I've come to answer my own question "when do I need my gun?" Answer "When I need my gun!"

#87 ·
Not always at home, but always nearby. BG would have to breach two doors before they entered my home. My dog gives warning enough for me to reach a weapon.

#89 ·
-
Being in a good neighborhood has nothing to do with your decision. Thieves and badguys know that 'good' neighborhoods have more 'good' things in them...with people who are likely lulling themselves into a false sense of security due to their being in a 'good' location. Your decision should be based on whether you feel that you would be prepared for most defensive situations with, or without your firearm.

I, for one, am always carrying.

This link is to a December 2011 poll asking the same type of question.
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/carry-defensive-scenarios/133632-do-you-carry-home.html

Just a thought - I wonder how long would it take to breach someone's windows?

Reactions: guitarzNgunz
#88 ·
A while back, a guy showed up at our front door at about 10:30 PM saying that his car had broken down and asking if he could come in to use our phone. Told him to move along, and he did - right next door to my neighbor's house where he was greeted by a 12 gauge. Ran back to the road, jumped in his car, and drove off. Since then, there is ALWAYS something in my pocket or within my reach.

#95 ·
I wear my weapon all the time! I will not forget a friend and local cop I was talking too at my gym looked at me one day and told me straight up..."if you have a permit... you wear that gun ALL the time!!! When your pants go on so does your weapon... PERIOD!!!" I thought about that. I watched the news and all the stories both local and national and I made my decision. This is a lifestyle! It has to be what you beleive and not based on what someone else is doing. IMO If you are married... you and yours need to be on the same page with the subject. How is you wearing a weapon going to appear to neighbors or people walking down the sidewalk should they notice??? You may not care then again you may... the important thing is that you need to decide where YOU stand. The way I see it... if I did not carry one day and if ever something would happen I would be upset and say never again...I should of had my weapon! So today, I am proactive and protected. From this point you decide whether you want to open carry or not. Again just one more decision. Hell yes I carry!!!

#98 ·
I carry at home. I have heard and read many peoples opinions on it being unnecessary.

I feel that it is needed. As some say "100% of home invasions occur in the home" (I always liked that line)

Getting into the debate on if you would really need it to me seems pointless, isn't that the debate we are always fighting with why carry at all. If I knew when I needed it then I would quit my job and become a psychic.

Carrying at home allows me to open carry all I want (I haven't been brave enough to open carry outside the home). If its not on my hip its usually in the room where I am. In the kitchen I have a spice shelf that it is nestled on when I am doing dishes or cooking. In the shower there is a perfect "gun shelf" to have it at hand. In bed its within arms reach. I like always having it with me both in and outside of the home.

#99 ·
Anywhere and everywhere that it's legal for me to do so... Especially at home.
The same applies for missus Whoppo.

#105 ·
Of COURSE I carry at home. We live so far out in the country that we have to go towards town...to hunt! It might be early next week before the Sheriff got out here.

...same applies for missus Whoppo.
Whoppo, you're fer-sure okay by me, but does your Mrs. REALLY know you've called her...that? :hand5: Mrs. G.T. would feed me a frying pan...in my sleep! :biggrin2:

#101 ·
I always carry, home or away. In my mind, my decision to obtain a permit and to assume the tremendous responsibility of carrying something capable of killing another human being allows me no other option. Or, more simply stated, if you're going to carry, do it all the time. Selective carry could be bad news.

Reactions: accessbob
#103 ·
Suntzu, sir,
In the big picture, I respectfully believe it does. I doubt many of us carry only in our homes, and in I would suspect that many members of this forum never carried in their own home or on their own property until after they had obtained a permit to carry in public. But I may be wrong. Still, I was just speaking for myself (as stated in my post), and was trying to explain that my decision to carry covers any place I go.

#104 ·
Just side-noting -- I typically carry in my home. And as an IL resident (although I do have permits that allow in other states) it's really the only place I can legally.

That said, if it was permissible in IL, I'd carry all the time anyway...

Actually, it was the amount of home/property carrying that I did (along with a few other reasons) that pushed me to get the (useless in IL) permits I have... I figure "training is training" even if it doesn't exactly apply here.

#128 ·
In my opinion, carrying at all times for something that has such a slight chance of being needed (gun on your belt while in your house) is more paranoid than being responsible. Like saying I'm a responsible driver because I never ever get out of my car.

Also, I question the judgement of someone who uses Yahoo for their web searches in 2012. (sorry, I had to).

:)

#107 ·
Big Ray, country folks have enjoyed immediate gun access since wayyyy before permits were ever imagined. My Great Grandparents' home had Model 94 30-30 Winchesters behind both the front & rear entrance doors. You didn't want a rabid fox to bite your prize **** hound. There were also Colt revolvers stashed in various drawers throughout the house. And it's funny, not one kid EVER DARED to so much as touch one without clear adult authorization. Of course, no one ever cut their leg off with a chainsaw either. After all, playing with tools can hurt ya'!

#113 ·
Big Ray, country folks have enjoyed immediate gun access since wayyyy before permits were ever imagined.
ghost tracker, you're exactly right. And I probably should have mentioned that not only did I grow up in the county, and I still live in a very rural area.

#109 ·
I do carry at home. My reasons for carrying are the same at home as anywhere else. I've read the word "paranoid" a time or two in this thread. That's okay with me. I would rather be called "paranoid" than "victim". To each his own.

Reactions: Danoh
#111 ·
Nice to know im not the only one who carries in the house lol, thought I was a litte abnormal..

I just started listening to my old scanner from 1985 again after many years of it collecting dust and Im shocked of the things that do not make the papers, so far in the past 3days I've heard many "See the women at **** steet for burglary discovered" last night a women had an incident of somone in her basement and she was armed waiting for the police. Today robbery almost happend however I heard police say victim he has concealed carry and subjects fled.. on and on...

Yeah I holster my gun on my side and it doenst bother me at all. Home invasions are oon the rise as well. Its always when you least expect it!

#112 ·
yes the wife and I both carry at the house and around the property, the wife thinks all snake must die and works real hard about seeing to it, but then again the meth heads are everywhere with there little shake and bake BS, the new thing is to follow the cow paths to back of the field and do there thing we have a 1/4 mile driveway and about 15 mile out of town, can figure at least a good 30 min before the blue lights can get here at best,

#114 ·
Funny, I was just thinking bout how many people also carry in thier home. I wa doing dishes and thought "am I the only person that thinks home is the most important place to carry?". Not only to protect my family and our belongings but also so that if like me you have yougins around they see it and get comfotable with you having it on your person.

#116 ·
I always have my M&P with me wherever I am in the house. I don't always wear it but I do carry it under my arm (holstered in a Sticky Holster) and that includes trips to the bathroom. Someone kicking in my door isn't going to wait while I finish in the bathroom and then go get it, so it is with me always. My wife has hers within arm's reach about 70% of the time. She doesn't do the bathroom, laundry room, and kitchen. But I wish she would. The chances are that we'll never, ever have an incident but I'd hate to see it happen when she, or I, am not prepared.

#117 ·
I do. I live on a farm and you never know who (or what) might show up to rob (or eat) you : )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.