G19 VS G26..insights, experience, knowledge, requested. - Page 2

G19 VS G26..insights, experience, knowledge, requested.

This is a discussion on G19 VS G26..insights, experience, knowledge, requested. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have owned both for a couple of years. In a perfect world, i.e. winter cloths for CC I would choose the G19. I prefer ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: G19 VS G26..insights, experience, knowledge, requested.

I have owned both for a couple of years. In a perfect world, i.e. winter cloths for CC I would choose the G19. I prefer the G19 for ergonomics, accuracy, capacity....In reality in South Carolina with the warm climate often, the G26 is needed for better CC. I love both and they have equal reliability. So, where I live, I end up carrying the G26 60% and the G19 40% but I would prefer to carry the G19 more.

I own both. I carry the G19 or 23 more than the G26.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

my advice: if you're considering the 26, make certain you like shooting it with the stock magazine. if you feel you need the extended mag to give your little finger a gripping point, then just get the 19. why get a gun with a shorter butt, then extend that handle to the same length as the next larger size gun. to me, the shorter slide length of the 26 means nothing. i owned a 19 and never a 26 because this is how i felt about it.

(former) Glock armorer (six years total), and (former) gun salesman.

Have shot both extensively, though I've not owned either.

The G19 is a heck of a gun. My personal preference is for the Gen2, in terms of ergonomics and feel in my hand and while shooting. Ditto on the sentiments of the G26 being a bit tougher to hold onto, though it's by no means difficult. The G19 is decently accurate, exceptionally reliable and easy to use. If the longer butt-end isn't such a difficult thing to conceal on a person, then IMO the G19 is preferable for all the basic ergonomic reasons, as well as improved accuracy and control over its tinier counterpart. YMMV.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 22nd, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I, too, have both.

And to complicate matters, I also have a 19 with the grip trimmed to 26 length (see my avatar).

The trimmed 19 (or 26L) is my usual EDC. I carry the 26 when I might need to be a bit more covert, such as under a tucked shirt in a more dressy environment. Otherwise, it is the 26L in an Archangel AIWB holster.

While I have nothing against the 19, for me the shorter grip of the 26/26L hides a bit better. I find the balance of the 26L almost perfect.

The +2 mag extensions on a 26 do add some length - but only to the front strap. It gives a better feel, but the back of the gun becomes more akin to the bobtail 1911 conversions. They are in no way the same length as the standard 19.

My 26 and 26L are both milled for a slide-mounted RDS. They are not any more difficult to conceal than without the sights, but allow for accurate shooting up close or at distance if need be. My 19 still has factory sights.

I own both (and a G34) and they are both great guns. I usually carry the G19 unless I want something with a shorter grip, but if you can only have one and you are going to be carrying it, the G26 is probably the more versatile option.

Senior Moderator
    I have both. My 19 is currently at Bowie Tactical Concepts being perfected. It's getting a grip reduction, trigger job and other cool mods. knowing it was going to be away for awhile I bought a 26 to take its place as my primary carry gun.

l love the 19 as a carry gun because it has all of the things I personally consider to be a must on a combat firearm. It has a great capacity, full-size grip, good sight radius, decent sights and trigger (which can be made better, too). It's a fighting gun.

that being said, it's not always great for deep concealing. On the rare occasions I will carry in my purse or just need something a little smaller to fit under a short jacket, I love my 26. Everything is the same as far as manual of arms and white I do compromise a bit on grip and capacity I can still have 19 backup mags.

As far as what I would reccomend? It would depend on your life style. If you can get away with carrying a larger gun on a regular basis, why sell yourself short (literally). If, however, deep concealment and size is a factor I would go for a 26.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I have both. My 19 is currently at Bowie Tactical Concepts being perfected. It's getting a grip reduction, trigger job and other cool mods. knowing it was going to be away for awhile I bought a 26 to take its place as my primary carry gun.

l love the 19 as a carry gun because it has all of the things I personally consider to be a must on a combat firearm. It has a great capacity, full-size grip, good sight radius, decent sights and trigger (which can be made better, too). It's a fighting gun.

that being said, it's not always great for deep concealing. On the rare occasions I will carry in my purse or just need something a little smaller to fit under a short jacket, I love my 26. Everything is the same as far as manual of arms and white I do compromise a bit on grip and capacity I can still have 19 backup mags.

As far as what I would reccomend? It would depend on your life style. If you can get away with carrying a larger gun on a regular basis, why sell yourself short (literally). If, however, deep concealment and size is a factor I would go for a 26.
    ^^^This^^^

All else being equal I would go with the G19. If easier concealment is a factor, then go with the 26.

I agree with the above two posts. I bought a 27 for EDC and have other guns if I want to open carry. And I can buy higher capacity mags. If you want a CC gun, get the 26. If you want an all around gun, get the 19. Might be harder to conceal.

Although my EDC is a Glock-36, I also have both the 19 and 26.

I have to say, the Glock-19 is probably the BEST 9mm around...simplicity, dependability, and plenty of rounds.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread...Have decided(if I can get hands on these two) that about an hours range time will decide it for me....will have to have range time with both to make an educated decision.....again thanks to all......

My EDC is a 3rd gen GLOCK 19. 7 days a week anywhere I'm legally able to do so. It's also my HD pistol and my competition pistol. My wife had GLOCK envy but the 19 didn't fit her hand, a GLOCK 26 with a +0 pinky extension on the magazine was what worked for her. I realize you can add this and that and basically have a 15 + 1 GLOCK 26 for competition if you want to, but I prefer to keep it all GLOCK all the time. I cannot knock the 26 as I have not competed with it, but it has been 100% reliable (just like my 19). My preference is the 19 but I wouldn't hesitate to carry the 26 if needed. Using a GLOCK 19 magazine with a grip extension for carry in a 26 just gets the can of worms a little too close to the can opener for me. I prefer to have the extra rounds that the 19 brings to the table. You really can't go wrong with either one and you'll probably end up with both of them eventually. See which one you shoot most accurately and faster at self defense distances.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    I also have both. I like the 19 just a bit more than the 26. I carry the 19 more. When I want smaller carry I use my Ruger LC9. single stack. The 19 fits my hand the 26 fits but feels short on my little finger ( if that makes sense ).

back in the late 80 and early 90 it was the glock 17/19/26 (duty/off duty/backup) for me. then around 98/99 i moved over to glock 22/23/27 (duty/off duty/backup). for the past three years it has moved again to the glock 23 for duty/off duty with a kel tec p3at as backup. i found that the 23/19 was just a easy to carry as the 27/26. in other words you can not go wrong with either.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Have a G19 as my everyday carry. I am a female that wears form fitting clothing so concealing was an issue. So I thought "..hmmm.. I should get a G26 so that it's easier to conceal". Well I got the G26, I like it but its small and doesn't really give much for the extra concealment. Also the sight radius is smaller and I found the G19 to be easier on the eyes for lining up my shot.

I have put over 10,000 rounds through my G19 and love it, so much that I said goodbye to the G26. I am considering the M&P shield to be my "little gun".

And I have been shooting my husbands G17 lately and it turns out I think I want to go bigger!! My accuracy was improved slightly with the G17. I wouldn't be able to conceal it, but I still want it!

So the tally would be:
    G17- the best
    G19- also awesome and perfect balance of round capacity, power, and concealment (if you dress right)
    G26- ok but I prefer the G19

I do have the 3.5lb trigger connector in my G19 and he has the fulcrum trigger in his G17 (a must have for a nice crisp trigger).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links