G19 VS G26..insights, experience, knowledge, requested.

This is a discussion on G19 VS G26..insights, experience, knowledge, requested. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering one of these for my next purchase..would like to hear from owners of both weapons....thanks...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: G19 VS G26..insights, experience, knowledge, requested.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

I am considering one of these for my next purchase..would like to hear from owners of both weapons....thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    I am considering one of these for my next purchase..would like to hear from owners of both weapons....thanks
    I always opt for the largest I can comfortably carry, which in this case is the 19. Smaller usually=more difficult to manipulate.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I own both. I purchased the G26 first. Immediately ran it through a Fighting Pistol training course, using approx 1000 rounds. Took the opportunity to also run a G19 while at the same course. Ended up purchasing a Gen 3, G19, which is my EDC. My G26 is now my backup. Minimal weight difference, minimal size difference, increase round difference. The g19 is probably overall one of the best and most dependable carry weapons around...

Good luck in your choice...You can't go wrong with either one...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I'm speaking from the 40 S&W side of those guns. Love my 27...my EDC. Have owned a 23 in the past. For my body type (5'10" 160, hips about as wide as shoulders) the 27 conceals better. I have a Gen 3 and don't feel the grip interchange makes a big difference on the baby. If I were to buy another 23, I would get the Gen 4 and shoot with the thinnest blackstrap. Obviously there's a capacity difference, but I usu carry 1 spare Glock 22 hi cap (15) in my offside front pocket. Can't go wrong with either. The only mods on my 27 are trijicon night sights, the 3.5lb trigger, and the extended slide release, as well at +1 mag extension on the short mag. Need to get the SS recoil spring rod at some point.

dben - I've owned them both on several occasions since I began my love affair with Glocks in 2004. Now, after all the dust has settled and I've retired, I am down to just one gun ... a Gen 4 Model 26 and I love it! Why? First, it is extremely reliable. Of all the Glocks I've owned, I've never had a single issue with a 9mm model and the G26 is typical of that experience.

Second, the gun is easily concealable and with a Galco Second Amendment or other tuckable variant, I have often carried with a dress shirt tucked and the G26 underneath with nobody the wiser. On other days I will carry the gun in a Glock combat/sport holster at the 3:30 position beneath an un-tucked shirt, sweatshirt or jacket. I simply shaped the belt loops with a cigarette lighter for right hand carry and I loop my belt from underneath and then OVER the holster to snug it up really tight against my body. I can even wear a dark T-shirt and feel good about it's lack of printing.

Third, my G26 is inherently more accurate than any other Glock I've owned. There is proof to back up this assertion - just lay your hands on a copy of the Harris publication that came out this spring entitled The Complete Book of Handguns, edited by Massad Ayoob, who has an excellent story in that issue on the baby Glocks. He describes in great detail just WHY the G26 is more accurate than the larger 9mms (something to do with barrel stiffness and the cycle rate of the slide not dropping the barrel until the round has left the muzzle). He even cites G26s as recent winners of the Glockmeister award at some major GSSF matches, defeating G34s and other 9mm Glocks. Part of the reason is that the quicker cycle times and recoil impulse allow for faster follow-up shots on double taps in competition. I've found that to be true in IDPA matches as well.

Fourth, I can configure my G26 for many uses, from deep concealment with a GAP floor plate on the stock magazine, to a +2 Glock floor plate for normal concealment under a loose shirt or jacket, to a home defense or competition gun with a 15-round magazine and an X-Grip adapter so I can get a complete grip on the gun.

Fifth, I have FINALLY convinced myself that the 9mm round is a capable fight stopper, especially loaded up with my favorite SD round, the 9BPLE from Federal, which is a 115-grain +P+ hollow point with a proven street record that's got to be at least 20 years old. I've also bought some BVAC reloaded 115-grain hollow points in the 1,000-round bulk box for less than $.25/round, so I can shoot that for IDPA and my wife can shoot it for self defense in her Gen 3 Model 26 (another bonus in extreme situations because we can share magazines and ammunition if need be). She finds the +P+ to be a bit hot in her gun, although she'll shoot it if she has to.

Personally, I have grown to really like the Heinie Slant Pro rear sight and Dawson fiber optic front sight (orange), but if I had it to do over again, I'd learn how to shoot with the stock sights because they won't rust; the Heinie will unless I wipe it down with a silicone cloth at the end of the day.

Finally, even though you are comparing the G26 to the G19, I've looked at the specs comparing a G26 empty weight to the S&W Shield and it weighs just .75 ounce more than that single stack gun with very little track record under its trigger guard.

Get the G26 and lots of ammo and shoot the heck out of it. The stock trigger is fine and will smooth out every time you shoot this little beauty. Enjoy.
    9BPLE likes this.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Great post 1gunsnowbird! Totally agree!
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    1gunsnowbird....Thanks for that informative overview. I am leaning towards the 26 because of the size reduction for concealed purposes. I have no problems with 9mmJHPSD rounds stopping most bad guys and the 26 just seems to fit my eye better than anything I have seen to date. Thanks again.

1gunsnowbird is right with everything he posted. The most important thing about a self defense handgun is to have it. Smaller and lighter is better from that perspective. I prefer the 26 over the 19 for exactly that reason. If I need it, I don't think the extra 1/2" (or whatever) of accuracy will matter. At 20 feet, I find I am just as accurate with the 26 as the 19 (I have both). The 26 is just easier to carry.

I too have and carry both a 19 or 26 based on dress or what I am doing for the day.
    They carry about the same, the 19 grip prints more, unless to wear it deep IWB.
    The 26 is the only one I will wear appendix carry the 19 is too long for me and is uncomfortable to carry that way

As far size compared to others take a 26, XD/S , Shield or M&P compact and lay them all out. The difference between all of them is very minimal. Can someone really feel the difference of a 1/4" inch in width when wearing it?

The same holds true with all the slightly large compact size. Just pick the one you like the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    I have both. I bought the 19 first a number of years ago because it is a good all around gun. Rail for a light/laser and 16 rounds for home defense yet small enough to carry at least half the year.

I bought the 26 after I tried one belonging to a freind and discovered it is almost perfectly tuned to my hands, arms, and grip. I shoot 1/4 second split double taps (as fast as I can pull the trigger) with it that are nearly always less than 1-1/2" apart. I shoot a higher score on the first part of the IDPA classification match with the 26 than I do with the 19.

My EDC when I can wear an untucked shirt, sweater, or sweatshirt, is the 26. The only change I made to it is to add the +0 Pearce Grip extension. It gives me a full grip and doesn't make it print more than it does with out it. From what I read I may be the only one, but I really like the stock plastic sights. They are fast to acquire and were dead on right out of the box.

I carry a Glock 19 magazine in my support side front pocket as my spare because it fits in the 26 like it belongs there and if I ever need the spare, the extra length won't matter. The magazine is crosswise in the bottom of the pocket, my iPhone sits on top of it.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

the G19 is only slightly longer and slightly taller and of course carries more ammo. so I have no logical reason why I usually carry my G26 over my G19. I just love it. a bazillion trouble free rounds, easy to carry, accurate.

I own both and love them both. If I could only own one, it would be the 26. The 26 is more versatile as you can have a very small and concealable package and should you wish you can use higher cap mags from the g19 or g17. The opposite of course is not true for the g19 as obviously you can shrink it on a whim.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Cargo pants front pocket carry is 26, all else is 19. Love them both!

I have a 19 an am buying a 26 before summer rolls back around. I've tried one on and it's easier to carry IWB under just a tshirt. They're both nice guns, and its nice to have guns that can share ammo and mags.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    dben002 Maybe the choice should be more about how you will carry and conceal egualy as well. You can use the longer mags in the 26 and with a sleev on the mag have a full grip if needed at the range or for matchs. The 26 does have a different feel to the grip, more butt sooner. Deside if you like that feel. A 1/2 inch of extra barrel with the 19 and abit more grip sure feels right to many. If you carry on the front half of your body the 26 will work better and works better when bending or sitting for many. Go shoot both and deside if ether works and feels just right. A holster will also make or break how good a handguns feels while cc'n. Get something with both vertical and tilt adjustment. Raiseing or lowering 5* of tilt can make or brake how well it CC's too. Bad holster design for you ,its the guns fault!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links