Converting sheep to sheep dog

This is a discussion on Converting sheep to sheep dog within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was speaking with a friend/ coworker the other day about firearms when a girl we work with joined in the conversation. We had spoken ...

I was speaking with a friend/ coworker the other day about firearms when a girl we work with joined in the conversation. We had spoken some previously about firearms, she doesn't have any but was pro 2nd amendment. I asked if she had ever been shooting, she replied no but expressed an interest and some concerns about protecting her family while her husband is away, he work takes him away a fair amount of time. At first I suggested she go to a range, rent something small- .22- 9mm and try it out. Then I figured, what the hell and I put the offer out, she could come with my wife and I, I'll teach her some basics- safety, types of handguns and she could shoot a couple of mine. She said ok so now all we have to do is set up a time that is good for all of us. I think once she goes we'll have another convert to the good guys (girls) side.

Thumbs up Converting the non-believers

I call this firearms evangelism. Aint it great?

Way to go.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Good idea to bring your wife too. It'll make your wife and her husband feel better about the situation.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

Better Yet...

let your wife begin the first lesson and model the ease with which she can shoot...if she is capable and willing, of course!

Great way to break someone in on weapons and weapon safety!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Best way to convert antis, IMHO. Empower them.

Best time to do it; right after they've had some kind of real-life scare, while they're still "feeling vulnerable" and angry because there was "nothing they could do".

Hopefully, you can convert them after it's just a scare and before something really heinous happens.
    "A government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims." - Ayn Rand, The Nature of Government, 1964

Assistant Administrator
    The ''creeping incrementalism'' we need more of

Good stuff.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I made sure to teach my wife how to handle the firearms I have, they won't do much good for her if she didn't know how to use them. Now she has her own .38 for CCW and can handle my Browning 9mm or Glock .40, she's a pretty good shot too. Next up for the wife is learning to shoot the new 870 she bought me for my B Day last week.

Fortunately the girl that wants to learn hasn't had anything bad happen but does want to be able to protect herself and family if needed. She, rightfully so, has concerns about her kids or their friends gaining access to any firearm she would get so I told her to consider a safe/ trigger lock ect. I also told her that I grew up with guns in the house and when I was old enough my step father taught me about them and took me shooting, which is very important IMO.

My overall feeling is that she is/was a sheepdog in waiting. She had interest, just no percieved outlet. You gave her the chance to experience something she has only thought about until now.

Either way, great job.

My wife on the other hand, not a sheep in hte sense that she want's guns off the street, she just sees them as a form of recreation.

Links