Road Rage...how far do you take it?

This is a discussion on Road Rage...how far do you take it? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You know, maybe the reason the person got blocked in was because they were on the phone while all this was going down. Fore sure ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Road Rage...how far do you take it?

You know, maybe the reason the person got blocked in was because they were on the phone while all this was going down. Fore sure call 911. But while you're being manipulated off the road and approached by thugs...not the best time. People have a hard enough time driving with 2 hands on the wheel, much less 1.

2. Remove Ads

Def. calls for drawing your weapon. I would be in fear for my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangochuck View Post
    Here's part of an article in a local paper. Hypothetically, you are the Honda driver. What is your response to this incident?

"Judson says the Honda driver responded with a "what are you doing?" gesture when a Chevrolet Blazer merged onto State Highway 167 near Algona, cut across all lanes and suddenly slowed. The trooper says the brothers in the Blazer then pursued the Honda.

She says another Blazer driven by the young men's father helped force the Honda onto the shoulder. Witnesses say one young man climbed onto the Honda's hood, hitting it with a club, while the other repeatedly hit the car driver in the face. The Honda driver finally managed to drive away."
    -Well, if it's possible, avoid responding when first cut off, I know... I know... i've done it too, "signaled my displeasure" to the other driver, but if you have a crazy behind that wheel, this is the start. No, it's not in any way your fault, it's just a practical avoidance because people can be nuts.

I'd call 911 and head to the nearest police station if a car was in serious pursuit. And I'd have the gun out when the club was first seen - or if I could when the other cars were coming at me: a car can be a lethal weapon and anyone seeing a someone coming at them with a club would reasonably believe their life was in jeopardy - and that's the key test for lethal Self-Defense.

Now, that's when NOT having done anything at the start can help:

The others will claim you threw the finger and while that won't justify their actions it puts you in a slight hazy position as far as "not participating in any part of any altercation that precedes the act of lethal SD" should you have to shoot. Those are my words but they are similar to what is usually another condition for SD: not acting to increase hostilities and thereby bear some responsibility for the danger you find yourself in. It won't kill your case. But it could throw a slight shadow on it.

Once your gun is out: you act as per the situation demands. If they suddenly retreat, it's one story, if they aggress more, it's another.
    Paymeister likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by llmstratocaster View Post
    You know, maybe the reason the person got blocked in was because they were on the phone while all this was going down. Fore sure call 911. But while you're being manipulated off the road and approached by thugs...not the best time. People have a hard enough time driving with 2 hands on the wheel, much less 1.
    THere are a few common options so you dont have to use your hands to use your cell phone these days.....jus' sayin'. On Star, Blue Tooth, etc.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Dial 911 and leave the phone on the seat yell out your location and what is happening. " i need help, send the cops, two men boxed me in on hwy 55 at milepost 65 by the turner exit! They have a club, their licence plate numbers are ######. Everything on 911 is recorded. If the BG's kill you and drive away it will all be on tape for the jury to listen to at their murder trial.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    My car is pretty small and light weight so it could be forced off the road pretty easy by a mid-sized SUV like a blazer. If anyone tried to forced me off the road and have no other choice but to be forced off the road then I have no other choice but to take it to the next level. If I was driving my SUV, that has a little bit more bulk and weight to it than my car, I could just ram back and get out of the area with ease, I hope.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

As I stated in my post & no one seemed to pick up on it. What's going to happen when ya'll start playing bumper cars on a busy road or freeway ? We are just as responsible for the safety of others while in a vehicle as when we pull the trigger. LEO's use the door as cover as would I in this type of situation. Using your vehicle for cover rather than a weapon makes more sense to me.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    As I stated in my post & no one seemed to pick up on it. What's going to happen when ya'll start playing bumper cars on a busy road or freeway ? We are just as responsible for the safety of others while in a vehicle as when we pull the trigger. LEO's use the door as cover as would I in this type of situation. Using your vehicle for cover rather than a weapon makes more sense to me.
    "Playing" bumper cars has its place, dependent on the situation. Sure, taking cover behind a vehicle is an option as well, but not every situation's going to allow time enough to get out, particularly when compared to a fast-moving situation that catches a person behind the wheel, engine running, gears engaged, death approaching and nowhere to go.

As you say, though, if one person's depredations are taken down at the expense of a number of innocents nearby, what's the point?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It all comes down to using enough force soon enough. The question is when is soon enough.

I don't think I would wait too long myself. You ran me off the road and are coming at me with a bat, I am in fear for my life and you should really be in fear of for yours.
    ep1953 and MrsHB like this.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Lets just say it wouldnt end well....for them.

I learned my lesson on road rage after a guy ran a red light and nearly hit me. I simply raised my hands in a "what are you doing gesture", and the guy did a full on 180 and followed me in to a parking lot. I am a pretty big guy (6'3 190) but the guy that got out of the truck had me by a few inches and probably fifty pounds. Started yelling at me saying he should beat my ass.. I unfortunately was not carrying at the time, but I said that I'll go my way and he can go his. I then turned and started walking (while watching his reflection in the glass of a nearby car and I had my knife in my hand.. All in all made me pretty nervous, but I learned to make no visible signals anymore.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Lets take a step in a more 'broader' direction here....... it's been said that violence can only be stoped by employing equal or greater violence.

WRT the Op's article refrenced, your in a Honda and there are two hostile chevy Blazers bearing down on you. This is a situation where you have to NOT PANIC and use your WITS.
    Can you choose where where your gonna be 'sidelined'? Is it a populated/busy area or a 'suburban' highway/interstate? Can your car keep the pace or is it too weak (engine power) to evade TWO suv's attempting to sholder you and box you in? Can you 'effectivly' counter their manuvers? CAN YOU ESCAPE/EVADE?
    Their intent is perfectly clear at this point..... this is a deadly force situation (an SUV used as an aggressive 'weapon')

You (i.e., 'we') are armed. You HAVE to assume they are as well.

Two big Chevys working together to FORCE you (in a Honda) off the road is NOT a 'game on' sceaniro. This is deadly business and (at the very least) two road-ragers will NOT endanger me or my family (I am the sole 'bread-winner' for my clan). 'IF' I can 'choose' where I'm going to be 'side-lined' AND I can keep at least one tactical 'edge', then I will HAVE to go the route that THEY have chosen for me and I'm gonna find a 'open' area to engage....... engagement being brandishing my weapon (and hopefully scaring them off) or employing my sidearm to stop the threat. I will shoot if cornered like that AND given NO OTHER OPTION.

Remember, wether it's pulling a gun or 'evading' aggressive road-ragers, this constitutes deadly force. Speed and distance are you friend and FIRST priority! The gun is your last.

Me, I'm looking at every possible avenue of escape/evasion....... at the very least to put some distance between them and me. Can't do that, then what?
    Last edited by goldshellback; November 26th, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
    Tangochuck likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

The more I think about this, the more frustrated I get. What is "just" about a system that expects the victim to stand passively by while $thousands of damage is done to his property - damage that he will wind up paying for? (And before someone says "That's what insurance is for" who pays the insurance premiums?) The victim should be legally able to use a weapon (gun) the instant the perps - I think "Zombies" could apply, here - used their weapons (vehicles.)

What is "just" about a system that expects the victim to endure physical assault and prevents them from employing the "equalizer" because maybe the perp "was just funnin" and doesn't "deserve" to die for "merely" injuring - no matter how severely - somebody.

The more we, as a society, coddle these Zombies, the more we will have to put up with their BS! But, then, chaos achieves the liberals'/progressives' purpose by making the sheeple even more dependent upon the government...

Quote Originally Posted by K7lvo View Post
    The more I think about this, the more frustrated I get. What is "just" about a system that expects the victim to stand passively by while $thousands of damage is done to his property - damage that he will wind up paying for? (And before someone says "That's what insurance is for" who pays the insurance premiums?) The victim should be legally able to use a weapon (gun) the instant the perps - I think "Zombies" could apply, here - used their weapons (vehicles.)

What is "just" about a system that expects the victim to endure physical assault and prevents them from employing the "equalizer" because maybe the perp "was just funnin" and doesn't "deserve" to die for "merely" injuring - no matter how severely - somebody.

The more we, as a society, coddle these Zombies, the more we will have to put up with their BS! But, then, chaos achieves the liberals'/progressives' purpose by making the sheeple even more dependent upon the government...
    In this example, I didnt see anyone say they'd allow someone to physically assault them. We all (I think) said that there was a reasonable threshold to draw...and fire if necessary to prevent gross bodily harm.

And with a few pics of license plates and perpetrators, plus 911 on the line....the OTHER guy's insurance would be paying for any damage. And his insurance rates would go up. And you might get other damages out of it. Is killing someone better than higher insurance rates?

If you took other 'evasive' action...YOU might be the one causing an accident or damaging other people's vehicles.

I understand the frustration, but I'm trying to look at it more practically.
    Tangochuck likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links