Road Rage...how far do you take it?

This is a discussion on Road Rage...how far do you take it? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You know, it's funny. I had a situation earlier today where I was cut off but a car, and not just cut off, but he ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Road Rage...how far do you take it?

You know, it's funny. I had a situation earlier today where I was cut off but a car, and not just cut off, but he actually almost hit me. I honked at him to let him know I was there, and without even thinking about it, I gave him a WTH? look. It just came out of me before I even realized I was doing it. That's something I need to work on, since I do believe that the best thing to do is not to react at all. I guess I'm just a work in progress.
    goldshellback likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    I honked at him to let him know I was there, and without even thinking about it, I gave him a WTH? look. It just came out of me before I even realized I was doing it.
    Nothing to rag on yourself about.

I'm sure it was just that, a "what's going on / what are you doing / please pay better attention lest you kill someone" type look. Not a "screw your family, friends, mother's mother etc" type look. As we all know, there are some knee-jerk idiots out there who will deliberately misconstrue anything to mean you're "threatening" them and "escalating" things. Malarkey, of course, but it is what it is.
    Kadelic likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    In this example, I didnt see anyone say they'd allow someone to physically assault them. We all (I think) said that there was a reasonable threshold to draw...and fire if necessary to prevent gross bodily harm.
    This is only one example. Legally an person cannot use deadly force, i.e., a gun, if someone is assaulting them with their fists. Why should someone have to suffer a beating just because they don't have the ability/strength/knowledge to defend themself with their fists? Where is justice when the aggressor gets to make the rules?
    And with a few pics of license plates and perpetrators, plus 911 on the line....the OTHER guy's insurance would be paying for any damage. And his insurance rates would go up. And you might get other damages out of it. Is killing someone better than higher insurance rates?
    First of all, the assumption must be made that these people have insurance - or, even drivers' licenses. Even if they do, the concept of insurance is that a group of people share the costs of damages. Where is the justice in a group of people sharing the costs for this type of behavior??? Insurance companies are not a faceless piggyback, the are made up of people, you and me, sharing the financial impact of ACCIDENTS.
    If you took other 'evasive' action...YOU might be the one causing an accident or damaging other people's vehicles.
    He should "take one for the team," eh? Again, as long as we allow criminals to commit their acts without fear of resistance/justice (in this example, the state patrol implied that the victim was at least partially at fault for an innocent gesture, and one of the road rage trio was RELEASED) they will continue their violent behavior.
    I understand the frustration, but I'm trying to look at it more practically.
    I have no intent to flame you or demean your opinion. I'm not urging or even suggesting that people break the law. What is practical in one situation could be totally impractical in another. However, I do not consider it practical to stand by and do nothing in a case like this one. I will make every effort to ignore stupidity and aggressiveness on the road, but I will also make every effort to, first, avoid and, second, if necessary, defend myself against an aggressive driver if it they make it physical.

As a CPL holder I do not have the luxury of engaging in road rage.

In this example, I didnt see anyone say they'd allow someone to physically assault them. We all (I think) said that there was a reasonable threshold to draw...and fire if necessary to prevent gross bodily harm.

And with a few pics of license plates and perpetrators, plus 911 on the line....the OTHER guy's insurance would be paying for any damage. And his insurance rates would go up. And you might get other damages out of it. Is killing someone better than higher insurance rates?

If you took other 'evasive' action...YOU might be the one causing an accident or damaging other people's vehicles.

I understand the frustration, but I'm trying to look at it more practically.
    I don't think this is case of acting to stop damage to your car, the BGS are using clubs to break in and attack you, and with that club coming in with them. This is a direct threat to life, like someone smashing your house windows with an ax to get at you and I think it would be a "reasonable belief" for anyone they were in immediate lethal danger. They have already followed you and forced you off the road, multiple cars. That enough, ACT.
    goldshellback likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    You know, it's funny. I had a situation earlier today where I was cut off but a car, and not just cut off, but he actually almost hit me. I honked at him to let him know I was there, and without even thinking about it, I gave him a WTH? look. It just came out of me before I even realized I was doing it. That's something I need to work on, since I do believe that the best thing to do is not to react at all. I guess I'm just a work in progress.
    Hey, who doesnt look over to see if they are drunk or asleep? Surprise is surprise.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by K7lvo View Post
    This is only one example. Legally an person cannot use deadly force, i.e., a gun, if someone is assaulting them with their fists. Why should someone have to suffer a beating just because they don't have the ability/strength/knowledge to defend themself with their fists? Where is justice when the aggressor gets to make the rules?

First of all, the assumption must be made that these people have insurance - or, even drivers' licenses. Even if they do, the concept of insurance is that a group of people share the costs of damages. Where is the justice in a group of people sharing the costs for this type of behavior??? Insurance companies are not a faceless piggyback, the are made up of people, you and me, sharing the financial impact of ACCIDENTS.

He should "take one for the team," eh? Again, as long as we allow criminals to commit their acts without fear of resistance/justice (in this example, the state patrol implied that the victim was at least partially at fault for an innocent gesture, and one of the road rage trio was RELEASED) they will continue their violent behavior.

I have no intent to flame you or demean your opinion. I'm not urging or even suggesting that people break the law. What is practical in one situation could be totally impractical in another. However, I do not consider it practical to stand by and do nothing in a case like this one. I will make every effort to ignore stupidity and aggressiveness on the road, but I will also make every effort to, first, avoid and, second, if necessary, defend myself against an aggressive driver if it they make it physical.

Sounds like you're blaming everyone else. You have options and can be responsible for your actions AND justify them in these cases. If you feel that 'justice' for insurance companies is where you want to take a stand, feel free. I have coverage for 'uninsured motorists.' I realize everyone pays into that. Including me.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    I don't think this is case of acting to stop damage to your car, the BGS are using clubs to break in and attack you, and with that club coming in with them. This is a direct threat to life, like someone smashing your house windows with an ax to get at you and I think it would be a "reasonable belief" for anyone they were in immediate lethal danger. They have already followed you and forced you off the road, multiple cars. That enough, ACT.
    Yes, that's what I wrote earlier. We're on the same page here. I was responding to someone else who was concerned about car insurance.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Sounds like you're blaming everyone else. You have options and can be responsible for your actions AND justify them in these cases. If you feel that 'justice' for insurance companies is where you want to take a stand, feel free. I have coverage for 'uninsured motorists.' I realize everyone pays into that. Including me.
    I'll sum it up this way: I find it ludicrous, to say the least, that a society that is up in arms about "bullying" can make the victim of road rage in some way responsible for expressing "WTH" to the road rage perp.

And, even if you don't mind paying extra for insurance premiums to fund the rampages of grown up bullies, think of what the money from everyone's inflated premiums could do do feed the homeless, find a cure for MS, aids, or cancer - or, if nothing else, for the cells for the grown up bullies.

OK...I've been reading some of the post and see various responses. IMO once the BG's attempted to force me off the road, 911 is called. Secondly if they succeeded in blocking me and they exited the vehicle, my GUN would be out and pointed. At this very point in time ME/YOU/US do not have any clue on what they are thinking. I'm not waiting to find out if its just a move to see what I'm going to do or not. A LEO once told me that if your home is invaded you have to consider 2 things...A: the BG has been shot at before and B: You banishing a gun and screaming "I'm calling the police" is not going to work. He then stated that you have to be prepared to act with such a level of violence to defend yourself.

If guys in the article do not care about all the witness that are driving by on the hwy...what makes you/me/us think they care if we are on the phone with 911 or taking pictures. I would rather be "TRIED BY 12 THEN CARRIED BY 6". And please don't let my wife/kids be in the car...because if that was the case...I'm really going ballistic.

I'm sure we all have seen this road rage before...small kids may not want to watch this Murder or Self Defense, You decide - YouTube

Put yourself in the shoes of the Honda driver in the article and the driver of this car...In the video we see how fast things can happen and not playing Monday morning QB on an article.

Quote Originally Posted by DubH00 View Post
    I'm sure we all have seen this road rage before...small kids may not want to watch this Murder or Self Defense, You decide - YouTube

Put yourself in the shoes of the Honda driver in the article and the driver of this car...In the video we see how fast things can happen and not playing Monday morning QB on an article.
    That video/case doesn't really have anything to do with road rage. Though both actors were behind the wheel when the incident developed, the perceived slight was prior to and independent of any event occurring on the road itself.
    Gunga Galunga

Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    ...LEO's use the door as cover as would I in this type of situation...
    Vehicle doors are NOT hard cover. Please don't expect them to be. See Box O' Truth The Box O' Truth - The Buick O' Truth #3 - Pistols and Car Doors
    goldshellback, 9MMare and K7lvo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nasm View Post
    Vehicle doors are NOT hard cover. Please don't expect them to be. See Box O' Truth The Box O' Truth - The Buick O' Truth #3 - Pistols and Car Doors
    Most cops use their units engin block...... the car door just stays open. Not all the time, but that's the rule.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by K7lvo View Post
    I'll sum it up this way: I find it ludicrous, to say the least, that a society that is up in arms about "bullying" can make the victim of road rage in some way responsible for expressing "WTH" to the road rage perp.

And, even if you don't mind paying extra for insurance premiums to fund the rampages of grown up bullies, think of what the money from everyone's inflated premiums could do do feed the homeless, find a cure for MS, aids, or cancer - or, if nothing else, for the cells for the grown up bullies.
    I'm not thinking about society...I'm thinking about my car repairs and my legal fees and my time lost to legal issues and the possibility of losing my right to carry or even own a gun. I'm not escalating because, aside from the moral high ground when carrying....I dont want to PAY for being 'in the right' later. I try to be secure enough not to have to prove myself 'in the right' to idiots on the roads.

And your last para is just silly...like it necessarily follows that that money would find it's way to charitable causes? Really? That is some stretch.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links