OC..Why Hassled?

OC..Why Hassled?

This is a discussion on OC..Why Hassled? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was talking to a LE friend of mine. He made an interesting comment when I asked him why OC people are hassled. His response ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: OC..Why Hassled?

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

OC..Why Hassled?

I was talking to a LE friend of mine.
    He made an interesting comment when I asked him why OC people are hassled.

His response was " I don't stop anyone open carrying unless I am investigating a complaint"

He further stated "...anyone open carrying is %99.999 of the time NOT going to be a felon." I thought that made good sense.

I asked him why then ARE people hassled w/o cause by LE. His response was so obvious I felt a bit silly.

He said "we are no different than doctors, lawyers, or any other profession; you have good ones and you have bad ones. We are human just like everyone else"

I asked "should not LE be held to a higher standard?"

His reply..."In a perfect world"

I found the exchange with him enlightening.
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

OC..Why Hassled?

Their is so much truth to what he said!!!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Sadly there are people in law enforcement who think civilians shouldn't carry guns at all. Then use their position of authority to express there opinions.
    accessbob likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Squeaky wheel. You hear a disproportionate amount regarding the bad encounters. For every lousy one there's probably 10 positive or neutral ones. But sometimes the bad ones are really bad...

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Sadly there are people in law enforcement who think civilians shouldn't carry guns at all. Then use their position of authority to express there opinions.
    As there are in Congress, the courts, prosecutor's offices, big-city mayors, city councils, etc etc...

It's not a perfect world. Thus, I am required to defend myself and my family. I would love to live in a world without fear. But since that world doesn't exist I will continue to prepare for the moment of truth.

In my world I don't expext all LE to be 'good'. Just as I don't expect all people to be 'good'. What I do expect is that elected leaders and hired LE to recognize I have a right to defend myself.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Ignorance and arrogance

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Ignorance and arrogance

Yup. Ya got that right!

In this area, I would expect citizens to hassle me if I OC'd, not cops. (I dont OC however, except on my own property).

However IF a cop ever did give me a hard time re: OC for no good reason, I would report them in a heartbeat for unprofesssional behavior/poor training. Just like I would if I was hassled over my firearm if pulled over and was CC'ing.

That said, the few times I have been pulled over, I have had ZERO issues re: cc or my firearm. So I'll believe the more positive perspective regarding LE based on my experience.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

OC'ers and LEO's can be looked at like a case of strawberrys........ there's a bunch of really pretty and wonderful looking berrys..... but every other pint 'might' have one or three of those ugly, fuzzy, icky ones that grow on the others around it.

Your LEO friend sounds like a wise, experienced enforcement officer.
    Rock and Glock and QKShooter like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    I understand all your LEO friend said to you and agree it...however even with a CCL never understand the need or want to OC...I guess if you can't get a CCL you may think you need to OC but for me I really don't want to advertise my weapon to anyone for any reason.
    Billb1960 likes this.

VIP Member
    Just as you say there are good and bad cops there are good and bad OCer's.

They are not out to express their right or defend themselves they are out to see what they can get out of it and post it on youtube. There is just as much if not more ignorance and arrogance displayed by them than there is LE. It gets really old sometimes.
    mg27 and discoboxer like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I'd place a at least half of the blame on activist/youtuber/provoking/attention seeker OC'ers. Ones that try to be youtube stars by provoking confrontations when there doesn't need to be one or when asked to leave by a business decide this is where they are going to make their big stand. Rightly or wrongly they make the rest of normal OCers look bad.
    BamaT likes this.

Every interaction btwn LEO's and OC'ers is needlessly initiated by the LEO. How the interaction plays out is on them.

VIP Member
    Every interaction btwn LEO's and OC'ers is needlessly initiated by the LEO. How the interaction plays out is on them.
    Ah yes the Po Po ride around in search of poor innocent people simply expressing their rights to harass them. Never mind about the MWAG calls, people in a restaurant that see someone walk in the door with an AR slung over his shoulder, a guy dressed in a sheet and turbine with a fake RPG walking up and down the street oh no that is still LE looking for something to do it is all LE fault. Give me a damn break.
    Billb1960 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links